Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rumors of a longer Sumo for 2007?

Saw this rumor over on GapicSki (yeah, yeah..."consider the source") and thought I'd throw it up over here. Also had some comments about the Got's getting a tad more sidecut.

"If you can wait for the 06-07 Volkl lineup, the Sumo will be coming in 190cm also. No changes to dimensions. The New Gotama will have an extra 3mm on the tip and 2mm on the tail, still 105 underfoot."

Anyone have any other insight to share?

Truth, Lie, Powder Skier's Wet Dream Realized?
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 11-23-2005 at 06:26 PM.

more for the rumor mill:
    pro version of the sanouk w/ metal topsheet. not noodly. sick.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

that'd be pretty sick, marsh. i've picked up some sanouks for myself and am not too worried about skiing them cause of the softness and i'm no where near a pro bro. was thinking that the big boys would want something a bit beefier, i guess they'll be gettin' it.

I would maim, kill, give up my first born, AND trade my left testicle for a 190 Sumo.

As for them changing the Gotama...

Edit: Me likey 190 Sumo. Me no likey metal topsheet.
    Last edited by Arty50; 11-24-2005 at 09:42 AM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

"If you can wait for the 06-07 Volkl lineup, the Sumo will be coming in 190cm also. No changes to dimensions.
    Probably.

The New Gotama will have an extra 3mm on the tip and 2mm on the tail, still 105 underfoot."
    Possibly.

more for the rumor mill: pro version of the sanouk w/ metal topsheet.
    Doubtful.

Hey Squaretail, howsabout convincing those bigwigs to make a 200cm Gotama? Pretty please

Quote Originally Posted by addict
    Hey Squaretail, howsabout convincing those bigwigs to make a 200cm Gotama? Pretty please
    Since you asked so nicely, addict, I'll see what I can do...

So if I ask for a cool $1 000 000 and a private jet nicely what're my chances?

ps: it'd be so worth Volkl's while to make 200cm Gotamas. I'd buy, like, 2 pairs or somthin'. (3 if they're orange and brown)

Quote Originally Posted by addict
    So if I ask for a cool $1 000 000 and a private jet nicely what're my chances?

ps: it'd be so worth Volkl's while to make 200cm Gotamas. I'd buy, like, 2 pairs or somthin'. (3 if they're orange and brown)
    After I make a million in the ski biz, you're next in line, addict.

Sorry, next year's Gotama isn't orange and brown, and it's too late to change the color now...the first sample pairs are already here.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    I emailed volkl about a shorter sanouk, and all they said was, "Just you wait until next year"

Quote Originally Posted by squaretail
    After I make a million in the ski biz, you're next in line, addict.

Sorry, next year's Gotama isn't orange and brown, and it's too late to change the color now...the first sample pairs are already here.
    so where are the pics?

first ones are there but unsure of whether dimensions are changing? thats pretty cool if they run some off w the possible dimensions and let you guys decide if you like them more.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnay
    so where are the pics?

first ones are there but unsure of whether dimensions are changing? thats pretty cool if they run some off w the possible dimensions and let you guys decide if you like them more.
    Sorry, can't do the pics until the shops have had a chance to see them. I'll post them as soon as I can...

Regarding the second comment, it is necessary to produce "photo samples" before the final design parameters are decided. This is because the 0607 catalog needs to go to the printer asap to be ready for the Vegas show in January.

Völkl USA has a huge influence on the overall design of the Freeskiing group, mainly because this is much larger part of the market in the US than it is anywhere else in the world.

The only big change for 0607 is that one of the models dies and some others will be available in new sizes.

Killing the Dogen?
    Not complaining...the Karma does the same job but better...the Dogen just always seemed to be a waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    I emailed volkl about a shorter sanouk, and all they said was, "Just you wait until next year"
    Thanks for that Tip Adam....that is good to hear for the Missus.

Us guys have a ton of choices today, but the ladies (or younger rippers, like Adam) get screwed. So, I would like to see some FATTIES in shorter sizes.

I personally like the soft Sanouk. I think with steel it would lose alot of it's "reverse-camerish" spatula like feel.
    Donjoy to the World!

If most of the Volkl's freeride skis are sold in North America (Canada and the U.S.), where Volkl makes most of its money, why did Volkl discontinue the Explosiv?

It was such a bomber ski in the longer two lengths for years. I would guess than the AC4 Unlimited is trying to fill the Explosiv's place. Explosivs last forever, until the base and the edges go kaput-nik. I think within a couple of season, Volkl will hear a groundswell of discontent from diehard skiers and powderhounds - they will bring back the Explosiv.

One single ski model was like manna from Heaven - Volkl shouldn't tempt God. People in the know are buying various years of Explosivs at a hefty price.

Praise the Lord and pass the avalanche cannon's ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by powdog
    If most of the Volkl's freeride skis are sold in North America (Canada and the U.S.), where Volkl makes most of its money, why did Volkl discontinue the Explosiv?

It was such a bomber ski in the longer two lengths for years. I would guess than the AC4 Unlimited is trying to fill the Explosiv's place. Explosivs last forever, until the base and the edges go kaput-nik. I think within a couple of season, Volkl will hear a groundswell of discontent from diehard skiers and powderhounds - they will bring back the Explosiv.

One single ski model was like manna from Heaven - Volkl shouldn't tempt God. People in the know are buying various years of Explosivs at a hefty price.

Praise the Lord and pass the avalanche cannon's ammunition.
    You ever heard of the Mantra?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I would kill for a Sanouk with some more beef in it. I think it would be my ideal Pow ski if it was as stiff as what the explosives where.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    I would kill for a Sanouk with some more beef in it. I think it would be my ideal Pow ski if it was as stiff as what the explosives where.
    You could stand to lose 50 lbs out of that fat fucking gut of yours. Maybe they'd be stiff enough then?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

This stiffer/more burly Sanouk talk is jibberish. How about a Spat w/ a regular sidecut?

Zero camber + soft flex + swallow = sweet ass pow pow. Stiffen it and the whole thing goes to shit. I have 93 i.m 103's and 201 asteroids for crud, crap and exposure. But for two feet of 5%, softies work.

Quote Originally Posted by routter
    But for two feet of 5%, softies work.
    For 2 feet of 5%, my boner will float me. The skis just help me turn.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

more for the rumor mill: pro version of the sanouk w/ metal topsheet.

Doubtful.
    as in not for the public, or never gonna get made? coulda been hallucinating when i saw them...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

square, you in NH? Any chance for a maggot preview of any of these?

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    as in not for the public, or never gonna get made? coulda been hallucinating when i saw them...
    probably won't get made, unfortunately. funny thing is, most of our 'pros' don't ski the Sanouk very often.

Collins-Gotama/Sumo
    MAB- Gotama
    Skogen-Gotama/Karma/Sumo
    Ingrid - Mantra/Gotama
    Sarah -Karma/Gotama

We just signed Kina Pickett, though. He's probably a Sanouk guy..we'll have to see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    square, you in NH? Any chance for a maggot preview of any of these?.
    yep, live free or die.

I couldn't do any previews soon...too busy leading up to sales meeting & the Vegas Show.

It would be cool to organize a preview/demo day sometime in February or March for northeast mags. Been thinking about it for a while. We've just got to find the time.

Lightbulb

We just signed Kina Pickett, though. He's probably a Sanouk guy..we'll have to see what happens...
    right on... thanks for the info
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

probably won't get made, unfortunately. funny thing is, most of our 'pros' don't ski the Sanouk very often.

Collins-Gotama/Sumo
    MAB- Gotama
    Skogen-Gotama/Karma/Sumo
    Ingrid - Mantra/Gotama
    Sarah -Karma/Gotama

yep, live free or die.

I couldn't do any previews soon...too busy leading up to sales meeting & the Vegas Show.

It would be cool to organize a preview/demo day sometime in February or March for northeast mags. Been thinking about it for a while. We've just got to find the time.

sweet. PM me if you're ever out on the weekends and want to make some turns. Just follow the EC mini thread in summits, then all the planning and organizing is done for you, you just have to show up with the skis.