Sanouk mounting point

I know some people on this board have the sanouks and am wondering how you mounted them. The factory point looks really far back especially since it is a swallowtail. Any recomendations would be helpfull,
    thanks

When a gay man's moustache has to ask about the proper "mounting" point, what is this world coming to

Who is Tom Selek? If your using a famous guys name at least spell it right.
    Move along nothing to see here.

I have a pair mounted tele, on the line, and I'm very happy with how they ski. Got them cheap from a Völkl pro who recommended mounting them +2 cm for alpine. He said that he had moved the bindings around quite a bit. I got the impression that most of the other riders mounted their Sanouks a bit forward as well.

edit: and mount them straight on the skis, i.e., no "duck stance".
    Last edited by Lok; 09-12-2005 at 02:27 AM.

I have my pair mounted straight and at the standard factory point. They feel perfect to me.

I spend a fair amount of time in the trees and have no issues wiping them around when I need to. Note: The sanouks are pretty light for their size and the shovel is soft.

If you take a look at how far back the contact point is in the tip, you'll understand why the mark looks further back than normal- the tip is extra long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lok
    mount them straight on the skis, i.e., no "duck stance".
    any beta on how they ski with the duck stance?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    any beta on how they ski with the duck stance?
    They ski fine duck, but personally, I'd mount them straight up.

If they're mounted duck and you damage an edge, you can't switch skis and move the damage to the outside edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lok
    I have a pair mounted tele, on the line, and I'm very happy with how they ski. Got them cheap from a Völkl pro who recommended mounting them +2 cm for alpine. He said that he had moved the bindings around quite a bit. I got the impression that most of the other riders mounted their Sanouks a bit forward as well.

edit: and mount them straight on the skis, i.e., no "duck stance".

I'll be mounting mine tele as well. What type of bindings did you use?

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I mounted mine right on center. A coupla people here in Tahoe went 2cm forward, and one fruitcake went 5cm forward. After skiing mine, there's no way I'd go forward. It's a pow ski, let there be lotsa tip and be able to flex forward into it.

Quote Originally Posted by OverQualified
    I'll be mounting mine tele as well. What type of bindings did you use?
    Rottefella R8. The Sanouks are so incredibly light that I didn't want to ruin a great touring ski with Linkens or Bishops. The R8 is burly enough IMO + the only thing that usually can go wrong is that one of the rods break. Bring a 'left' and a 'right' with you when you travel and you are pretty much safe. If you use, say, Linkens the spare parts will weigh and cost much more. Congrats BTW, they make amazing telemark skis!

Interesting... R8s weigh more than HammerHeads. Man, I sure wouldn't mind a pair of Sanouks for touring, but my Big Stix 10.6 are holding that position pretty darned well.

Quote Originally Posted by Telegasm
    Interesting... R8s weigh more than HammerHeads.
    Really? I have both, but the HH feel heavier. Oh well, I’m not getting out the postage scale.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Telegasm,

Are you teleing on 180 or 190 10.6s? What's you're height/weight? I have a pair of 190s that I'll probably mount for AT but am considering tele.

BTW, the 193 Sanouks weigh almost the same (4.75 lbs/ski) as the 180cm Big Stix 10.6 so the Sanouks would probably be much lighter than the 190 10.6s.

Center or not

When mounting tele (rottefella r8), cord center, running surface center or alpine mark cente?

Quote Originally Posted by nittimekki
    When mounting tele (rottefella r8), cord center, running surface center or alpine mark cente?
    I mounted Rottefella R8 using the boot center mark and wouldn't change a thing. If I remember correctly, my pinline was just a couple of mm from chord center (size 9 boots).

Rottefella mark in line with the sanouk mark?

Quote Originally Posted by nittimekki
    Rottefella mark in line with the sanouk mark?
    No. I measured the distance from pinline to the back end of my boot sole (length of boot sole minus the duck bill) and went half that distance forward from the sanouk mark. That's the reference mark you use for the rottefella jig. That was really close to chord center (size 9 boots) so if you don't have very large or small feet you could probably just use chord center.

just a quick note to let people know that I mounted them alpine of the factory point and I'm very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very happy with them