Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hiking boot recs?

Hiking boot recs?

I'm looking to replace my older Salomons. I'd like to keep my budget around $150 but have been looking at Lowa Renegades, Salomon 4d Quest and North Face Boots which are a bit higher in price. These all feel pretty good. I have narrow feet with high arches. Does anyone have recommendations on which of these to go with or others to try? Vasque, Merrell or Timberland?
    My hiking is primarily in the CO Rockies, and I plan to do class 2 and 3 with them.
    Thanks

Have you tried any on?
    Seems dumb not too.

If it fits, la sportiva gtx is a great hiking boot. very light 3/4 shank, sticky rubber. It was designed to climb the matterhorn.

Sounds like overkill, but I backpack with it, very comfortable, but you can kick steps in snow, climb to 5.8.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

I've tried a bunch on - these are the ones I like more than others. Just wanted to see if anyone had good experiences with these or others that are similar.

If any of them have real rubber Vibram (montagna block) and not the plastic shit most nontechnical boots have these days buy them. I wore out the soles at the toes on a pair of Asolo's on a 5 day backpacking trip--the plastic/rubber seemed to be peeling apart. Returned to REI. Other makes seem to be the same, even at the higher end.

In my experience salomon are the least durable and very sweaty.

If I needed new boots for hiking 14ers and other peaks in the Rockies I'd buy these. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ali...colorFamily=05 They have the classic replaceable vibram soles, full leather uppers, and plenty of support up top. But I made the switch to trail runners last year and I don't think I'll be going back to boots for anything other than times when I have a pack that weighs more than 30 or so pounds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Have you tried anything from Salewa? See if you can find some Mountain Trainers to try on or Wildfires. They both come with or without goretex and in shoe height or mid for the Mountain Trainer. I have the Mountain Trainers and the are very well built, full rand, blocky Vibram sole, split leather upper. I think they are one of the better built hikers out there if they fit your foot. I use trail runner for most things but if I know it will be really rocky with scrambling involved I wear the Salewas.

I just got some 5ten approach tennies. A lot of f people are going away from the "boot".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I always used a full on leather Gore Tex hiker, but after years of Vasques, my last pair has been the Asolo Fugitive GTX. I have a relatively narrow foot also, but have found I love the extra toe space. They are not leather, but are very light, super comfortable, and folks testify they are pretty tough. So far I'm very pleased.

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

I hike in trail runners on simple class 1 stuff but when I'm hiking rougher terrain or 14ers, I've found my ankles need the support of a boot. I am thinking a full leather gtx boot would be too warm for CO hiking, generally.
    I will check out the Asolo. They don't seem to have Vibram soles...how's the traction.

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    but after years of Vasques, my last pair has been the Asolo Fugitive GTX.
    I really like my Vasque Wasatch but this "Fugitive" boot must be the one for me...

Sent from my MB886 using TGR Forums
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Have you tried anything from Salewa? See if you can find some Mountain Trainers to try on or Wildfires.
    This. I did seven days in the Sierra with Wildfire GTXs last summer. Hiking with a decently-heavy pack and scrambling up to Class 3. I meant to do a write up on my crappy blog about them, but haven't gotten around to it. Hence why it's crappy. Rubber isn't as sticky as 5.10, but they hike WAAAAY better than Guide Tennies or general trail runners.

I have a pair of Asolo 520s for other stuff, but I mainly use them for work or when I know I'll be hiking through mud.

Other suggestion: Hit up your local REI garage sale. I got my 520s essentially brand new for $25 at a garage sale (they were $210 then, and more now). Locally, shoes are a static $20 no matter the condition and boots are $30. Not sure if that's company-wide. Regardless, worth you time to look, IMO. Spray the insoles with some Lysol if you're concerned about funk, and be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I will check out the Asolo. They don't seem to have Vibram soles...how's the traction.
    It's not as great as Vibram, but honestly it's pretty good. We will see how long it lasts. (if you read reviews, that ifs one of the issues...expect the fugitive to last about 50% of a leather boot with vibram...but it makes up for it in breathability and comfort).. If Asolo threw a vibram sole on the fugitive, that boot would be even better.

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

I have some 6 year old Asolo Fugitive GTX. They were bit annoying during the break-in period. Though now they feel pretty nice. However, I may wear them 2-3 times a year now as I prefer my trail runners. I have also used the Salewa Firetail which is pretty similar to the Wildfire just a bit less burly. They grip well on most surfaces it seemed. Even though the Firetail I had was not the GTX version it did not breathe all that well and was a bit warm during the summer much like the Asolo Fugitive.

3 pairs of Keans have kept me happy

So here's the trick about hiking shoes/boots. There are lots of people in the CO Rockies who happily hike in minimalist trail runners, and plenty of people that hike in full-on, old school, burly full-leather boots with shanks, and everything in between. And when I say "hike" there are people that do this on anything from short sub-5mi day trips to weeklong (or more) backpacking trips. And opinions are like assholes, and every one of these people will insist that their type of chosen footwear is "ideal" for hiking.

So you may want to break it down a little more on what exactly you want. Do you prefer a softer/lower, or a higher/more supportive shoe? Is grip on dirt or grip on rock more important? How long of hikes will you be doing and how much weight will you have in your pack?

Keep in mind that how supportive a boot is laterally has as much or more to do with the stiffness of the sole in torsion than the height of the boot cuff. Grab the heel and toe of the boot and try to twist them - that stiffness will determine how much support/resistance the boot has to rolling on rocks.

In general, here are the classes of "hiking" footwear:
    -trail runners: the lightest, most flexible, least supportive shoes. They tend to be the most comfortable over short distances, and with strong feet/ankles, can be comfortable with heavier loads/longer distances as well.
    -low-cut hikers: cut low like trail runners, but generally with a stiffer sole
    -mid-cut hikers: a low cut hiker with a slightly higher cuff. The cuff usually doesn't add much in support over a low-cut hiker, just keeps more dirt/debris/water out
    -approach shoes: usually have a stiffness similar to the hikers above, but with a sticky rubber sole optimized for use on rock. Some have better grip on dirt than others and some have more cushion for hiking than others. There are low and mid cut versions available.
    -hiking/backpacking boots: mid to high cuff, stiffer soles, more robust/durable construction. Lots of options and variation here, but all the same theme.
    -Old-school full grain leather: the big, burly boots of the old days. There's still a few companies that make them, but not many left. Overkill for most people now that there are so many good options in the previous category.

If you really want to keep the budget under $150, you're basically limited to the first three categories, plus the lightest and softest approach shoes. So if you're fine with that, cool. If not, consider expanding your budget up to about $230 or so and then there are a TON of great options in the approach shoe and hiking/backpacking categories.

For a narrow foot with high arches, some brands to try are: Scarpa, La Sportiva, some Salewa, Salomon.
    With high arches, you will most likely want to put at minimum a green Superfeet or similar in the boot. Consider a custom footbed if you have foot issues.

Personally I like a stiffer boot because I have weak ankles and my feet are happier over the long run on rocky CO trails in a stiffer boot. I also have a narrow foot and high arch. The two boots I use are a Kayland Zephyr (no longer available in the US) for dirt/general trails and a La Sportiva Boulder X Mid (approach shoe) for class 3 and higher rock (usually accessed by hiking trails).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    So here's the trick about hiking shoes/boots. There are lots of people in the CO Rockies who happily hike in minimalist trail runners, and plenty of people that hike in full-on, old school, burly full-leather boots with shanks, and everything in between. And when I say "hike" there are people that do this on anything from short sub-5mi day trips to weeklong (or more) backpacking trips. And opinions are like assholes, and every one of these people will insist that their type of chosen footwear is "ideal" for hiking.

So you may want to break it down a little more on what exactly you want. Do you prefer a softer/lower, or a higher/more supportive shoe? Is grip on dirt or grip on rock more important? How long of hikes will you be doing and how much weight will you have in your pack?

Keep in mind that how supportive a boot is laterally has as much or more to do with the stiffness of the sole in torsion than the height of the boot cuff. Grab the heel and toe of the boot and try to twist them - that stiffness will determine how much support/resistance the boot has to rolling on rocks.

In general, here are the classes of "hiking" footwear:
    -trail runners: the lightest, most flexible, least supportive shoes. They tend to be the most comfortable over short distances, and with strong feet/ankles, can be comfortable with heavier loads/longer distances as well.
    -low-cut hikers: cut low like trail runners, but generally with a stiffer sole
    -mid-cut hikers: a low cut hiker with a slightly higher cuff. The cuff usually doesn't add much in support over a low-cut hiker, just keeps more dirt/debris/water out
    -approach shoes: usually have a stiffness similar to the hikers above, but with a sticky rubber sole optimized for use on rock. Some have better grip on dirt than others and some have more cushion for hiking than others. There are low and mid cut versions available.
    -hiking/backpacking boots: mid to high cuff, stiffer soles, more robust/durable construction. Lots of options and variation here, but all the same theme.
    -Old-school full grain leather: the big, burly boots of the old days. There's still a few companies that make them, but not many left. Overkill for most people now that there are so many good options in the previous category.

If you really want to keep the budget under $150, you're basically limited to the first three categories, plus the lightest and softest approach shoes. So if you're fine with that, cool. If not, consider expanding your budget up to about $230 or so and then there are a TON of great options in the approach shoe and hiking/backpacking categories.

For a narrow foot with high arches, some brands to try are: Scarpa, La Sportiva, some Salewa, Salomon.
    With high arches, you will most likely want to put at minimum a green Superfeet or similar in the boot. Consider a custom footbed if you have foot issues.

Personally I like a stiffer boot because I have weak ankles and my feet are happier over the long run on rocky CO trails in a stiffer boot. I also have a narrow foot and high arch. The two boots I use are a Kayland Zephyr (no longer available in the US) for dirt/general trails and a La Sportiva Boulder X Mid (approach shoe) for class 3 and higher rock (usually accessed by hiking trails).

Hope that helps.
    ^This. Sage advice. Unless you know exactly how a given boot/shoe fits your foot, it's crazy to buy them without trying them on.

IME finding a hiking boot is like finding a ski boot and its hard to tell in the shop SO I try a bunch on, I buy the best fitting boot in each shop, take them all home to wear around the house for a week or 2, keep the best fitting boot & return the rest

For a high arch/narrow heel/ wide fore foot I have a scarpa GTX full leather hiking boot and a GTX La sportiva wildcat, GTX is not too hot for up here, if you got a high arch the La sportiva have stretch uppers for a nice fit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Great advice everyone. I appreciate it.
    Most of my hiking will be day trips, 8-10 miles, sometimes more (15) and usually up to class 3, but mostly 2. I need a torsionally stiff boot for sure bc of weak ankles and one that good in dirt. I've been trying on a bunch and will go back and retry a few that felt way better than the others. Always hard to know how they'll actually feel and perform on the trail after 8 miles, but hopefully I'll get a good sense.

been looking at Lowa Renegades
    I have a pair of the Lowa Rangers. Very well made. Quality materials. Lowa's fit my feet well, YMMV of course.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Are they heavier or hot, being all leather?

Are they heavier or hot, being all leather?
    HOT: hard to say, I live in Montana at 7,500 feet, so I do not think they are hot. Someone in TX may have a different answer.

HEAVY: not really. Obviously heavier than a running shoe, but for a full leather boot I think they are relatively light. The Renagades you are looking at are lighter than my Rangers.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Many people (including me) have reported GoreTex boot failures. The membrane on every GTX boot I've ever had failed within one hard season of use, often much sooner. When the GTX membrane fails it's catastrophic: one hour on a late season snowfield or glacier and your foot will slosh in water and it takes forever for the boot to dry. Many off-trail hikers/scramblers/climbers report similar experiences with GTX boots. There's a recent thread over on NWHikers about the subject. I will never again buy GTX boots. Well-treated leather boots keep my feet drier in dry/hot weather, in wet weather and on snow/glacier routes. You are warned.

For the stuff I do -- off-trail hiking, high routes, general mountaineering, scrambling, glacier travel -- the most important boot characteristic is torsional rigidity. I need a boot that can edge well for most of my routes (off-trail, WA Cascades and Olympics); I'd likely use a lighter boot for hiking/scrambling in CO. If I'm staying on trail (not often), trail runners work fine.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 04-27-2014 at 08:16 AM.

I'm looking to replace my older Salomons. I'd like to keep my budget around $150 but have been looking at Lowa Renegades, Salomon 4d Quest and North Face Boots which are a bit higher in price. These all feel pretty good. I have narrow feet with high arches. Does anyone have recommendations on which of these to go with or others to try? Vasque, Merrell or Timberland?
    Salomon hiking boots fit my feet well, and I have a pair of the Quest (orange/brown ones from a few years ago). Best-fitting (YMMV) traditional boots I've ever had, while still being fairly light.

For comparison for sizing, Keen hikers fit my feet even better. But Keens seem to disintegrate in a couple days of day hiking.

I haven't had much luck with Merrell (lasted longer than Keen, but still short-lived), and Vasque didn't fit me well. I'm using some Garmont low-top for around-the-yard/garage stuff, and they fit pretty well, so they might be worth a look. STP had them for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.