Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Single Day Review: Blizzard GunSmoke

So today I had the opportunity to take the new Blizzard GunSmoke out. I have been a fan of Blizzard's skis since I got on the Answer a few years ago (110 under foot 184cm long), I was really excited to give this ski a try.

Here is the Dope:
    ME: 5'10" 186 lb, training for Alaska.
    Boots/Bindings: Cochise w/ PW, Marker Jester Demos
    Skis I like: 191 Billy Goat, XXL, Vicik, Answer, Cochise, Bodacious, Legend 105,
    Skis that were meh: 193 Shiro, 184 Rocker2,
    Skis that suck donkey dick: Armada JJ, First Gen BD Megawatts.

Conditions: Bluebird, 20's in the morning and shade. 30 in the sun. (guesstimate), 1in over night, 3 in places.
    On Piste: Fast edgeble groomers.
    Off piste: 1-3in on top of a firmer and edgeble, but lumpy, bottom. If you knew where to look you could find some places with boot top sugar.

Thoughts:
    I initially had them set at recommended, which was aprox 85cm from the tail. I started out with a couple fast groomer laps. They were quick side to side, and very comfortable with medium to large radius turns. They felt weird though. It felt like the ski was only really gripping the snow from mid foot, to about 5 in behind the heel, and I could not get the front of the ski to really catch on. I had to ski with a centered stance.
    I next took them to some off piste runs that were as described in the conditions section. Again, a centered stance was a must, but I still could not get them to work how I would like. The front of the ski felt pretty useless to be honest, like it was not even there. Any bump or snow change would be felt right at the binding, with no absorption from the tip, this is the same reason I think the JJ sucks dickwad through coffee stirring straws.
    I am a stubborn twat, so I kept skiing them as is. Took them into some runs that were pretty well bumped out, and could not build up any confidence in them. The tail was too present, and there was not enough tip. I kept this up for a couple more runs to try and figure it out.

At 10:30 moved the mount back ~2cm. so now ~83cm from tail. Different ball game.
    On groomed runs I had more control through the whole ski and could get the tip to pull into some nicer medium-small turns. Defiantly felt a better pressure and energy dissipation through the whole ski, rather then the localized feeling I had before. Ok, now for some softer snow. The tail was no longer a problem, it provide ample support, but did not force me around too much. Still a bit more tail to tip ratio than I personally like, but a very fun ski.
    The ski really likes to pop, and bounce from spot to spot, similar to how my OG 186 Billy Goats did. Overall much less damp than the Cochise, and less ability to power through and over crud than the 191 Billy Goat, or 196 Bodacious.
    I went for a little hike next, and was rewarded with some boot top sugar in the trees, where the Gunsmoke did not disappoint. It was still a bit more cumbersome to move around than my 191 Billy Goats, and I found my self opting for more open paths. Overall though, the Gunsmoke provided significantly more float than either the Cochise or Bodacious. It did lend itself more to fall line skiing, with less emphasis on slarving turns.

Round Up:
    Blizzard has a good ski with this one, but it did not click for me like the Cochise did. It is much more playful than other Blizzard offerings, and lends itself to being a good everyday ski for someone who likes a more poppy than damp option, and would rather play around on the sides of a skied out run, than just mach through to the bottom. Hard pack performance is great for its size and class, and it is the best floating ski that blizzard offers.

Recommendation: This ski offers a great option for those who want a more jib oriented ski, but still want more stability than is currently offered by skis like the JJ. If you like damper, more charge skis, you will have fun on this, but there are better options out there. Unfortunately, I think this ski will get under used by those whom it would be the best for, due to the lack of interest in blizzard from the NS crowd.

Wanted to add that I went -2cm on my Gunsmokes after skiing them at the recommended point and feeling way too far forward. I'm skiing the 186, I'm 5' 9" and 190, and I ski relatively fast but never the "best skier on the mountain." I am using these as a pow ski, no spinning or flipping. I spoke with our local rep and he confirmed a lot of people are going -2. Happy with them now, great ski for powder and tree skiing here at Snowbowl, a little lacking perhaps for big mountain turns, 22m radius is a little bit small but I loved em the last two days at Snowbowl, 19" over 2 days.

Any other Gunsmoke users out there that can chime in? Got a buddy that is looking at these as that one-quiver PNW ski.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

BM,
    I know I allready weighed in on these, but I think they are a great option if mounted two cm back. Other folks seem to agree, on 2cm back.
    It skis a bit bigger and damper than a patron. I think Sturts has one in their demo fleet. Xtal might as well. There will also be some spring demos on the horizon.

Loic won the first two stops of the FWT on the 186 believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Any other Gunsmoke users out there that can chime in? Got a buddy that is looking at these as that one-quiver PNW ski.

I have the 193's and can honestly say they are the best playful charger I've ever been on. Handles it's own in some pretty hairball situations, dreamy in pow, stable, arcs effortlessly for a ski 114 underfoot and handles chop and high speed very well. Recommended mount on these is about -6 from center. I'm actually at +1 from that so about -5 from center... it feels great there to me and I love to drive my tips. Has a very good balance of charginess and wiling to pivot and get playful.

Here's a quick clip of me at the Bird showing some capabilities of the smokes...

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Loic won the first two stops of the FWT on the 186 believe it or not.
    loic won the fwt with 186 drilled at +4 or something.... Pretty impressive super forward mounting

Bump for updated thoughts and mount info on the 193 specifically. Picked up a pair of these from the STP fire sale and vacillating on whether or not I keep them. Looking to the collective for more insight and ramblings.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I just got me a pair of 186 as they were ridiculously cheap. And after being thoroughly impressed with the cochise, i'm curious if blizzards powder offering is just as good.
    Also looking for more info on mounting, I'm definitely not the guy for center mounts, but -2 sounds a bit far back for a ski with rockered tail. Is anybody happy skiing them at 0?

Are you asking if you can go back 2cm from TRUE center? If you are not used to center mounts than that is the farthest forward I would recommend. I would go -4cm from true center if i were you.

The more forward you go, the less you will be able to drive the tips, and the more the tails will get caught up behind you.. unless you find yourself flipping and spinning a ton, I would recommend you go behind the line.

While the gunsmoke definitely skis like a fun, centered ski, It is more conducive to driving the tips than similar jib skis. The gunsmokes will not ski like the cochise, but they are still awesome. The edgehold is phenominal, you just find yourself shifting the skis from side to side to get edge angles, rather than driving the tips.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 10-04-2015 at 01:01 PM.

I have 186 Gunsmokes mounted -2 behind the recommended line. I tried them on the line, hated it, moved to -2 and love them. Fun ski, great in pow and carves surprising well on groomers.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

What is the line? -3.5 or -4 from true center?

Gunsmoke recommended mounting point is more forward than the Cochise. So if you like a more traditional mount I would go back 1.5ish.

This is TGR. We can be a little more specific than that.

186 cm Gunsmoke rec'd mount point is -6cm from true center. Pretty sure 185 cm Cochise is more like -11 cm from true center.

Details matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I have 186 Gunsmokes mounted -2 behind the recommended line. I tried them on the line, hated it, moved to -2 and love them. Fun ski, great in pow and carves surprising well on groomers.
    Same here- skied them on the recommended line and didn't like them so I moved -1.5cm back and couldn't be happier there. I'm on the 186.
    Old's Cool.

Thanks for the input, seems -2 from recommended is the sweet spot.
    (@aevergreene i meant -2 w.r.t recommended line, not true center. God forbid i ever mount a ski center, I would have to learn to jib)

just to check, the recommended line hasn't changed over the years? I have the blue/green '15 model with the cowboy. I'll measure once at home.
    Also, seems the ski changed a bit from its first version in 2013 to the next according to blister.... what year are you guys referring to?

This forum is kinda dead, but I think I may have some valuable input on the 193. I certainly wouldn't call myself jibby, but I do the flippy-spinny a bit.

Anyway, I mounted mine +2 with my touring bindings and +3.5 with my STHs (they have quiver killers). I thought I was gonna be a little put off from having them that far forward, but honestly the skis REALLY like being forward, at least for me. Otherwise I think it may just have something to do with the larger version of the ski.

When you look at the camber profile of the ski, it starts to make even more sense as to why you may want them a little bit forward. This has to do with both carving and airing on the ski. The rocker in the tail is enough that by going forward, I don't end up wheelying out, while still maintaining enough tip profile so that your tips don't dive.

I also notice that the ski starts bending into a flex pattern better because I'm centered on the camber profile of the ski. However, I will note that if you want to drive the tips of the ski, it's probably not the best answer for you. I can still get somewhat forward on the ski, but I think it really likes to be skied in a more centered stance. The ski still edges very well though.

That's my two cents for now.

Just picked up a pair of 186's, and wondering if anyone else has more input on the mounting location? All the reviews I've read elsewhere on the web seems to advise going +1 or +2 from the line, while people here recommend back of the line.

I don't ski switch, but am a more playful skier, and will be using this as a quiver of one for inbounds skiing in the Wasatch. I'm thinking of going either +1 or -1 from the line.

I have the 193's mounted at +3 from recommended. I tired them at traditional for a few days, but kept moving the bindings forward and the ski got more and more fun. The skis went from being amazing at blasting through things going straight or in big DH turns, to doing that and being able to handle everything in between. I'm super excited to get on them this winter after only getting on them for 4 days at the end of last winter.

For reference I have 187 Bonafides, 193 Gunsmokes and Spurs, and am the second person I know with that quiver.

All I know is I just got my newly mounted 193 Gunsmokes back from the shop and am completely stoked to get on them this year... I love the profile of the ski and from all of the feedback I have received regarding this ski (both here and friends) this should be a fun playful charger... Plus it didn't hurt that I only paid $283 shipped for these (thank you BanditMan)...

so where did you mount them?

On zee line... I should add that I am 6'4" and 205 lbs so to date I have never moved a mount forward of the recommended line on any ski... The only ski I moved from recommended line was my 196 4Frnt Renegades and that was suggested by 4Frnt themselves when I talked to them... Plus the mount on the line on the 193 does not look forward to me for the type of ski it is... I do not know why, but the profile of the ski just gives me a woody...! Looks like a longer and skinnier Bibby Pro...

Don't know about the woody but I'm curious to ski mine. Hoping it will be a similar revelation as I had on the cochise last year.

About to throw some bindings on a pair of 193s. Any general consensus? I don't ski backwards and am looking at this ski for primarily for skiing pow. Coming off of a bunch of traditionally mounted skis so I'm used to a lot of tip.

I mounted them on the line. I feel like the tail hangs up on everything and I'm going over the bars constantly. It seems everybody likes them at -2, anybody try them at -3 or -4?