Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^^ Please delete and replace with the nekkid version......

Skiing over the head blower pow is like swimming. You just have to learn how to breathe properly. Most people who need a snorkel to ski over the head pow are beginners or cigarette smokers. I do, however, where a nose plug to keep the cold stuff from clogging up the olfactory system.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

skiiny skis in deep pow = wow!

you gotta synchronise your breathing in with the moment when you come out of the snow on each turn, and then spit out the snowball that gets in your mouth!
    definitely kinda like swimming!

probably the most amazing experience i've ever had (fernie, nov '06... need i say more)

its not as rare an occurence as you'd think, though - i've had that in cham, too

I think most wear snorkels as a joke on pow days. Me, I hate when people try to look goofy or funny while skiing (tutu's, bunny ears, etc. really?) Avalungs are helpful as far as not choking on snow goes, usually only necessary in the BC however.

this thread needs more

oh yeah!

thats deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

sweetness
    Last edited by monostevieb; 05-25-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: missed a word

haha i think this was my first thread on TGR, 6 years ago... awesome. still love the retarded deep, although I would say I'm a little more informed on proper breathing techniques in pow.
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanbob View Post
    this thread needs more
    abso-fvckin-lutely
    Thanks for bumping this thread, I missed it the first time, and this video is STOKE!
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    I was living in Jackson the year they got >600 inches. There was one day that you literally couldn't breath if you weren't wearing something across your face. High collar wouldn't cut it. You needed a snorkel, gator, or some sorta face protection because of all the pow in you face. You had to pick your line, go straight and hope you didn't hit anything/anyone because the snow just billowed over your head. Pretty dang sick!
    LCC; The Bird; '74' [if my mem. is on track] 5-6' super low density, and stable!
    Chin deep in many places,...Couldn't breath while skiing, hold your breath and go till you had to come up for air. ..

I'd have given my right tit for a snorkel! It was said, them that did, had them stuffed down the back of their parkas! Since then I have had one in my ski bag, just in case I EVER Have that much F"kn luck again!...

Cheers
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by nesta View Post
    abso-fvckin-lutely
    Thanks for bumping this thread, I missed it the first time, and this video is STOKE!
    Yeah Knoffs!!!!!!!!!!

Periscope?

The dude f'n disappears at the end of this, DDDeeeeep (triple D Deep!)

-this is the type of thread I like, all you aliases are welcome here

Max Gosey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Max Gosey?
    haha not quite. although I have skied with the infamous gosey many times
    i shred the gnar

I prefer being able to see where I'm going, so I made myself this cool periscope out of a milk carton! Highly recommended, and fits easily in your pack.

imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    I prefer being able to see where I'm going, so I made myself this cool periscope out of a milk carton! Highly recommended, and fits easily in your pack.

Cool...I'll have to try it. Does it make a difference if it's a chocolate milk carton or a white milk carton???

Actually it's not like swimming because you can't come up for air if you ski fall line.

we use these all the time in the bc bowls of the wasatch - i prefer a diving mask with dual snorks - the kind with blow back balls in a little cage on the end of the curved snork - since we are below the surface the clear glass is ok - some of the girls use silk scarves with great success but us manly men won't touch silk.

Shit, I wish I could find that picture. Archived somewhere way, way back on Powdermag. (That user interface on that forum sucks, by the way)

The first time (and really only time, maybe) I skied non-stop over-the-head, I got about 12 turns in and sorta just collapsed cuz I couldn't breathe. Never really figured out the rhythm (to my chagrin). Ironically, I thought back to the days of that sweet snorkel-goggle photo and longed for a gaperesque breathing tube, such that I could keep truckin' and the snow could keep hitting me playfully in the face.

Good bump here, E!

"I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

I've felt the need for a snorkel a couple times on 203 strait sticks back in the day and a 184 powder board in this century(while the 160 riders were wallowing). I managed to time my breathing by making 2-3 turns then poking my face thru the wave at transition to see whats ahead & grab a quick breath. Had to keep up the momentum.
    Ddin't need no stinkin snorkel

but it was only waist deep.

p.s. thanx for that MT. stoke
    Last edited by b0ardski; 11-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

hyper ventilating at the top of the run helps prevent anoxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Cool...I'll have to try it. Does it make a difference if it's a chocolate milk carton or a white milk carton???
    Gotta be chocolate. Cuts down on the internal reflections- like football eye black...
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/