Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Berthoud Photo/Conditions Thread (2010-2011)

Still thin I'm sure,any one been up there yet....Snow in the forecast for the next five days, and if Joel is right, could be a decent amount...

Hoping for a little hike Wednesday!

Here's to a new year.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Might be up for a few turns Wednesday afternoon if there's enough snow...

py cell phone pix from my little stroll this morning. I did put the skis in the van, but that was a little optimistic.

Here's my subscription

I'll be lurking this thread for the next 6 months or so

Berthoud is about to get legit, and quick.... Tuesday or wed?

any one up for some early season???!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I'm ready for some Berthoud Pass turns!

Nice Pic.. Went hiking around near the Mines, Vortex and HHA today. North Face Had some sugar at the bottom and the south face that we were on was muddy underneath the 10 inches of coverage. Anywhere from 8 inches to 2 1/2 feet up there. Lots of people in the west face and lots of dirt showing. I'll ski when there is another foot...

There were some worthwhile turns had near HHA yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Berthoud is about to get legit, and quick.... Tuesday or wed?

any one up for some early season???!
    Yup - I typically go up the night before, crash in the lot and then ski early till 9ish then haul back to work. The life of a working bum.

Be cautious out there, it's truly thin cover in many places even with a foot of fresh on it.

10/25
    east aspect. 8 inches to 2 foot wind drifts (cross loading). quick hand pits at 11,600+ revealed 2-3+ inches of sugar on E and NE aspects (essentially where ever old snow from the last storm stuck around).
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the high winds and accumulation from this storm should make spatial variation sketch tomorrow.
    Quick video of the conditions, lots of rocks.
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/16161344"]10/25 on Vimeo[/ame]

sweet looks pretty thin but pretty damn enjoyable!!

I'm headed up after work tonight or tomorrow. Not sure if I can get my shit together for this afternoon but tomorrow ought to be pretty decent. It's snowed about an inch an hour here at the base of the resort (9200 ft) since 7:30 this morning. Rained all night before that so I can only imagine the summit picked up a good bit.

Will post pictures whenever I make it up.

Also, I live here in WP and have a schedule that gets me on the pass Mon-Thurs this season so shoot PMs if any of ya are looking for partners.

Are those clicky noises on almost every turn in alma's video the sound of ski-meets-rock? If so, damn... thin cover indeed. Still looks like fun, though.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

wondered the same...looking good and tempting but will wait a little longer
    F-R-O-double-G

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Are those clicky noises on almost every turn in alma's video the sound of ski-meets-rock? If so, damn... thin cover indeed. Still looks like fun, though.
    I have to agree with pegleg and fastfroggy. If those are rocks, your rock skis might not be left after that... None the less it still looks like good fun to be had!

Skied decently late Sunday morning, same lines as in the video- lots of noise underfoot, but the skis did not sustain that much damage.
    Should be good this week.

Where's Doug's photo from?

mmmmmmmmmmmm ...
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

90% percent sure I'm going up tomorrow. Probably not hitting parking lot until about 12 at the earliest. Hope to do about 2-3 lazy laps (i stopped running about a month ago and traded it for a weekend cigarette habit)...

if anyone wants to hit it at that time, shoot me a PM...

nice and easy to start the season.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbu View Post
    Where's Doug's photo from?
    The skier's right of HHA. Seemed to be better coverage on the steeper pitches in the trees than out in the open. We were able to ski to the switchback and hitch back up. Lots of wind loading (1-2ft) in there on about an 8" crusty base. There was a little bit of slough on the steeper stuff, that was before this storm. Had the fattys so didn't hit much.

Here are a couple more.

Eben.

heading up to loveland tomorrow and staying somewhere. will be at berthoud wed morning early unless loveland is real good

since npg is busy getting back into shape to join us skiing pow later this season, i'll add this map to the thread in his name :-)

F-R-O-double-G

if anyone is up there tomorrow look for me! blue pants with purple/black jacket.
    Last edited by bamboocoreONLY; 10-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Watched Giants whoop cowboys, got lazy, forgot to take my stuff out of the closet and get organized, Wednesday is the target day pending tomorrow's reports.

Everyone be safe and have fun out there tomorrow.

fuck that noise.

gmen.