Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I think Rossi may have messed up the rocker on the S6

I was in a shop yesterday fondling some new gear and had a chance to see the new S6. From what I read, it was supposed to be a gradual reverse camber, similar in profile to a Gotama or Katana. When I put the bases of the skis together, it looked like they had tried to reverse camber them, but the tips and tails came back. The result is a contact point underfoot and at the tips and tails, and regular camber arches in front and behind of the binding.

Anyway, I thought I'd share since I've seen a few questions on the rocker profile of this ski. I'm not sure if it was just this particular pair that didn't turn out quite right or if this is an issue across the entire production of the ski. But this way there's some expectation of what you may end up with for those ordering online.

Pics! Oh, and boobies.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Pics! Oh, and boobies.
    They're at Whistler Village Sports if you want to see. No boobies, though.

I wouldn't even call what the S6 has rocker. It's that minimal
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

did I hear boobies? where?

They ski pretty sweet, they pivot until tipped on edge far enough for the sidecut to engage, then they rail the turn. As you release the turn they get a little 'floaty' (I mean they can easily be steered with a flat base) or you can transition from edge to edge with clean carved turns and no stivot. They feel snake-like, I'd say Rossi got it right.

I skied a pair of skis that were intentionally made with dual camber, flat underfoot and slight camber in front of toe and behind the heel. As whiteroom mentioned the pair I rode being flat under foot pivoted nicely. The weird feeling I got out of them is when I got a little in the back seat is how the ski engaged and accelarated. It felt like a normal carved turn only in the backseat, which made it more difficult to recover. They weren't Rossi's.

I saw some of these unboxed at my shop today. VERY STRANGE CAMBER indeed!

I took some shitty camera phone rocker profile pics for ya'll, but photos don't do it justice. Basically:
    - Normal contact point at the tips. Not a "normal" tip rocker
    - Tertiary contact point at boot center. But cambered between tips and mounting line.
    - Nomal contact point at the tails. Again, not a "rockered" tail.
    So, this ski has three contact points, with normal camber inbetween. Not exactly the "rockered" S6 that many of us hoped for, but the reviews all say good things. Who knows, maybe Rossignol invented the newest thing...?

TIP ROCKER:

ROCKER PROFILE:

UNDERFOOT CONTACT POINT:

UNDERFOOT CONTACT POINT & TAIL CONTACT:

This should give you more edging power underfoot than you would get with a normal rocker-camber-rockered ski, it should also make the underfoot section more prone to hooking during a slarve/slide/wiggle. Guess time will show.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

^ I think you're missing the problem.

That's kind of wierd...i'd be suprised if it wasn't some sort of defect or bend on this ski?? If it was some thing different that they did and they were the only ones doing it i'm sure they would be marketing it as some thing new. The pic looks like a "double camber" or some shit.

You´re right. It´s supposed to be "U-shaped camber design" which is Rossi-speke for full rev camber.

Strange indeed that they´ve messed up this.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

I bet with all the new camber / rocker / rise shapes that are out now quality control in the Chinese factories have just quite. Forever they had to make sure the skis didn't touch in the middle and that the tips and tails touched, now all the skis and boards look broken and jacked up so they will just send anything out the door assuming its supposed to be that.way
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    You´re right. It´s supposed to be "U-shaped camber design" which is Rossi-speke for full rev camber.

Strange indeed that they´ve messed up this.
    Even if it was supposed to be normal camber underfoot, it would still be fucked. The skis bases are touching in 3 spots. Look at the pics. With normal camber they touch near the tips and tails, these have a 3rd spot that touch, almost looks like it's bent some how.

Isn't this similar to the Praxis concept ski? I've read the description of the ski on their website and I have to admit that I'm just confused about what it actually is, but he mentions something about a 3-point sidecut.

Maybe this is still different... not 100% sure.

^^ yeah the Praxis concept (the way I read it) is in the sidecut, not the camber. This wouldn't surprise me if it was a quality control issue. Have been seeing lots of QC problems w/ Rossi the past few seasons.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

i was fondling them at EVO yesterday and noticed the same thing. When held together at the mounting line the rocker looks subtle like a new Gotama but @ about 2/3 the way out on tip n tail the progressive rocker stops and becomes camber again so that you end up with 3 contact points on the ski. Paging Baggins or anyone else with some Rossi insight. Was this really intentional?

There was a snowboard company that did something like this about 10 years ago or so, I can't remember the name but I think they were made in Oregon

It was a pretty radical look, guess it didn't catch on......or did it?

edit: INCA snowboards did this

then they died
    Last edited by DeathVan; 09-21-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    You´re right. It´s supposed to be "U-shaped camber design" which is Rossi-speke for full rev camber. Strange indeed that they´ve messed up this.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    I bet with all the new camber / rocker / rise shapes that are out now quality control in the Chinese factories have just quit
    Not sure if it's intentional or not. But at least it seems consistent, if we're seeing the same thing at three different west-coast shops.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Rossi's freeride skis are made in Spain (not China, and not France.)

amazing. Now it would be so interesting to have feedback from rossi....

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    There was a snowboard company that did something like this about 10 years ago or so, I can't remember the name but I think they were made in Oregon

then they died
    Lib's C2 and NS RC are almost exact copies of the original inca designs, just with the rocker extended a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

then they died

Rome Agent...

http://www.romesnowboards.com/produc.../agent-rocker/
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

Those skis are bullshit and should go straight back to Rossignol!
    When I saw them they had the long banana rocker, and not this camber style.
    Here in the video is how they should look:
    http://www.skipass.com/news/47159-ma...rossignol.html

And they are still made in Spain, not China.
    I'm gonna write on Rossignol's facebook, they can't ignore me there..

It's like 3d magnatraction!
    lol, no. It looks retarded. A simple early rise would have been great. I guess we'll see how it skis.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by _koppen View Post
    Those skis are bullshit and should go straight back to Rossignol!
    When I saw them they had the long banana rocker, and not this camber style.
    Here in the video is how they should look:
    http://www.skipass.com/news/47159-ma...rossignol.html
    Screen shots from the pre-season promo video show Koppen is totally right. This ski was supposed to have a Gotama-like continuous rocker. ROSSIGNOL SCREWED THE POOCH. Now fix it, Rossi.

Last edited by skimaxpower; 09-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.

PS: at my shop, the same fuck-up was evident on multiple sizes of the S6, so it's apparently not limited to a single size, or a single weeks production run, or a single batch of bad glue.

Rossi: it's time to contact your retailers and fix this.