Web Avalanche information for newbies

As a newbie to the backcountry this year, I am trying to inform myself with as much info as possible. I am sure that no matter how much you read, nothing is better than the real thing, classroom, field training and talking with experienced people. I have started off with some light reading lent to me; Snow sense and Avalanche Wise put out by the CAIC.

I have also been trying to hunt down anything and everything that i can find here on the great wide intraweb. Some might be good, some might be crap, but I figured I would share what I found in hopes that it helps a few others. Feel free to trash, praise or add to this thread other resources that you are aware of.

This page at Couloir Mag has quite a series on "How to use Avalanche beacons" including Primary, secondary, Pinpoint, multiple victim and vertical plane searches. Also a Beacon review for 2004. All Pdf documents.

Also at Couloir mag there is an index of Avalanche articles, saftey tips and forcast sites.

The forest service has a basic intro on Snowpack, terrain, and weather.
    Also there is a link to a Slide guide, kind of a basic into to Backcountry travel, preperation and saftey. Pretty informing for a beginner like me.

Then there is what appears to be a nice collection of articles at avalanche.org. This is part of the Backcountry Access Library project. Including lots of info on snowpack, slabs, forecasting, rescue, zoning, control, and more articles.

Articles about rescue and first aid @ Patrol.org under thier Instructor Resources and some more instruction pages here under topics.

Then of course there is the CAIC for the Colorado Backcountry people

I haven't spent a single day in the backcountry yet, so I am in no ways claiming that this is accurate or good information, just want to share what I have found. I'll let those that have the experience chime in and tell you how to stay safe.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Good work Crinkle. I think Snow Sense is the best read for recreational bc travellers. I think you are taking the right approach, get introduced to the science, learn from the experts by attending classes, then get out there with more experienced travellers and put your learning to work.

Hey Crunk, maybe copy that into the Snow Conditions forum or whatever it is called. Less likely to get burried. I think we should use that like the old skin tracks, seen!

There is also good discussion at the TTips avy forumAvy forum

thanks crinkle! looks good. I will be eager to read it.
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

Thanks Crinkle. The Beacon, Probe, and Shovel are in the mail now. Can't wait for the class on December 8th.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I don't know if Owens has room for another forum page, but I think one called 'Avie Savvy' would certainly be fitting for this board.

Quote Originally Posted by cololi
    Good work Crinkle. I think Snow Sense is the best read for recreational bc travellers. I think you are taking the right approach, get introduced to the science, learn from the experts by attending classes, then get out there with more experienced travellers and put your learning to work.
    I second Snow Sense. Being a right coast skier, I like the fact that the info is good and concise, yet the book can be re-read on a plane flight out west for a refresher.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

good call foggy, pasted into Snow conditions forum for archiving purposes.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Lightbulb YOU ARE FORGETTING CONWAY'S CORNER!

Crinkle: good idea great list!

Our wonderfull hosts at TGR have their own online Avi Into!!!

It can be found at the top menu of this page under CONTENT then CONWAYS CORNER.

5 Red Flags or the Backcountry

Online Avalanche Course

Video Supplements:

Preparation
    Beacon Drills
    Backcountry Travel
    Snow Pits
    Conclusions

Snowsense +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Avalanche Safety
    for Skiers, Climbers, and Snowboarders
    by Tony Daffern

is another excellent read.

Kudos.

AIARE is another org focused on Avalanche Education.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleAl
    Avalanche Safety
    for Skiers, Climbers, and Snowboarders
    by Tony Daffern

is another excellent read.

Kudos.

AIARE is another org focused on Avalanche Education.

Daffern's book is really in depth, especially about crystal formation, and the impact of wind on snow....i have read it cover to cover and keep reviewing att the sections, but its tough to absorb

For those that access the Eastern Sierra near Mammoth, you may find Bardini's bulletins helpful:

http://www.csac.org/Bulletins/Calif/e-sierra.html
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White