TR: El Diente (29 May 2010)

I jumped when the cell phone rang, and fumbled around, trying to shut off the annoying noise that was emanating from it. It's too early, I thought. The wind is howling and it's warm outside. We're never going to get this thing done.

It was 3 am, only 4 hours after pulling in to our camping site, and I hadn't slept at all. Not one wink. It was the time of day that I'm not sure whether to call it morning or night. We were debating: Do we get up at try for this peak? Or do we just stay and sleep? We had a lot of things going against us- warm night temperatures, howling wind, little sleep. But, still, I couldn't just lie there. I had to try. I made the call, "We're up. We might as well try."

We pounded our Monster Coffee drinks and CityMarket blueberry muffins and off we went. A few minutes into our hike up the road, we hit the first snow patch- slushy all the way to the ground. I almost turned around right then and there. We're never going to make this. We traveled through more and more slushy patches. Maybe the snow will be frozen above treeline. If not, we can just turn around and go back to bed.

The near full-moon guided us through the night and the wind continued to blow. Then the sun began to peek out from behind the earth. For a brief time, the moon and sun battled for brightness. But, like a predestined Greek myth, the sun always wins.

As we got above treeline, we found the snow nicely solidified and frozen. Finally, something was working in our favor. Still, our morning procrastination and the blustering wind continued to work against us.

We made our way over Rock of Ages Saddle and skied down to the base of El Diente, the snow was chattery and full of frozen moon-scaped suncups. This is horrible. The worst skiing ever. While taking a food break just below the face of El Diente, gust after gust continued to pummel us, nearly knocking us to the ground at times. We should just turn around. We're never going to make it. This wind is nuts. But, the last thing I wanted to do was skin back up the frozen sun-cupped wasteland we just descended. We might as well just keep climbing, at least until the snow softens.

So, up we went.

We were following a new route that we didn't have very much information about, descended by Jarrett Luttrell earlier this season. Because of this, we are calling it the "Luttrell Line". This is the bottom of his route.

The route follows the main couloir, staying climbers right at the "Y", until a hidden couloir near the top leads off to the left. This couloir connects to what we call the "Fox Traverse."

The traverse, as seen from afar. We have called the Fox Traverse, since, from afar, the snow looks like a fox.

Goldenboy, crossing the Fox Traverse. The exit couloir that leads to the summit is behind him. Wow, we might actually get this peak done!

Wait... is that the summit? We're going to do this!

Me approaching the summit. I can't believe we're going to make it!

Goldenboy, standing on the small summit. We made it! We really made it!

Lower down, as we entered the initial couloir, we found ourselves protected from the forceful wind. Yet, at the same time, what wind was present was to our favor, keeping the snow cooled as we continued to climb. As we approached the summit, we found the wind had calmed. It was breezy, but not so harsh as to knock us to the ground. Though we had been doubtful during the majority of our climb, circumstances shaped up perfectly for us, and we were able to summit!

Views from the summit.Wilson Peak.

Mount Wilson.

Finally, time to ski!

Me, getting ready to ski from the summit. Psyched!

Goldenboy skiing the couloir leading from the summit to the Fox Traverse.

My turn.

Me, crossing the Fox Traverse.

After we passed the traverse, we could let it loose a little bit. Goldenboy.

>

Me.

Near the bottom, I started busting out a smile, happy our day turned out successful after so many things seemed to be working against us.

It's always a good feeling when you set out with huge doubts, but then are able to accomplish your goal in the end. Another great day in the mountains!

For more info and more pics, check out our blog entry!

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Note about our route:

Goldenboy has done a detailed blog describing our route on El Diente, which we used as both an ascent and descent line. At this time, we are not sure if this line has an official name. We believe that others have likely climbed or skied this route, but Goldenboy and I are not aware of any one specific, except for Jarrett Luttrell who descended this line in April 2010. Because of this, we are currently calling this route the Luttrell line. If anyone has more information about the name of this route, or previous ascents/descents of this route, Goldenboy and I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

This route is very hidden and it is impossible to see the route clearly from one vantage point. That is one of the reasons why Goldenboy and I thoroughly enjoyed this line. It is our belief, that this has the potential of becoming the new standard snow route in the future, as it is as much fun to climb as it is to ski, and lacks the rock-maneuvers of the summer route (which may be fun in the summer, but annoying with skis on the back).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 06-05-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Really cool day out - nice TR!

Jongish question from someone that lives in the land of pure white late-season snow in the Sierra - what causes the late-season brownish tint to the snow in CO? Is it just burning out to the base (which is rocks that color), or is there some other weather event causing that? Or did it just snow brown snow

The last two springs we have had horrible dust storms. I think this year I counted 6 dust storms. It's crazy, like something out of some strange movie. The sky literally turns red/brown. No one really remembers dust storms of this magnitude until Feb of 2006 and no one is completely sure what's causing it. However, many blame the overdevelopment of the desert. The soil and sand are getting disturbed there by development, and then these sediments are easily picked up by high wind events and transported to the Colorado Rockies, ruining our snow, causing it to melt much quicker in the spring than it normally would. Our only saving grace was that it snowed a few inches every week, until about 2 weeks ago, keeping some of the dust and melting at bay. But now, the dust is exposed, and the snow is melting at insane rates.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Yeah! FKNA. You guys made skiing a 14'r look somewhat enjoyable.

snirt melts about 30% quicker. The SW sucks ass for sending us the dust...man I hate that crap.

Awesome trip...and a great line...stoked for you. Now get the other TR up!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

They weren't as frequent as we've been having lately. But I definitely remember some dust storms during the 80's in the Elks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    They weren't as frequent as we've been having lately. But I definitely remember some dust storms during the 80's in the Elks.
    I have definitely talked to people who remember dust storms throughout the 80's and 90's. But, no one seems to remember them this frequently or of this magnitude. The ones you experienced in the 80's, were they of this magnitude?
    -
    14erskiers.com

Snirt sucks, but that line rocks! Nicely done.

Sweet line.

We occasionally get some snirt in the Wasatch. Sometimes if we have storm come up from south we get dust blown in from the UT desert. I also believe we've had some dustings come from the west via Nevada. Can make for some interesting scenics. Based on the pictures in this thread and others, we don't get it nearly as bad as CO gets it. Sucks that it accelerates melting.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Great write up and ski Brit. Success sure is sweeter sometimes when everything seems to be against you.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Thumbs up

Sweet line and TR! Thanks for the stoke and congrats!

B)

Congrats on sending. Line looks similar to N. DeVore's route of '06...

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-el-diente.php

Despite rumors that some of this dust was from Mongolia, I believe the current view is that it was all from the SW USA, though it is possible that some Mongolian dust hit California. What is odd is that southern Utah was under a LOT of snow this year -- way above normal. More snow in Escalante than in Park City at times! One would think that that moisture would help keep the dust there, but no.... I do wonder about the development explanation. While it does make some sense, there are also such huge swathes of undeveloped land, which has not changed much over the decades and which seems to contribute dust... It is discouraging both for the snowmelt and the esthetics of skiing on snirt...

I heard that dust layer was from the mexican earthquake or quite possibly dropped from the sky by right winged terrorists, either way that's a sweet line on a gnarly peak. Solid work fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Freuchen Icepick View Post
    Congrats on sending. Line looks similar to N. DeVore's route of '06...

http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-el-diente.php
    Not really...
    Devore's route goes fall-line at the "Fox feature", staying on the N face, whereas Jarrett's line continues over to the NW face...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Yeah! FKNA. You guys made skiing a 14'r look somewhat enjoyable.
    THIS.

i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Or did it just snow brown snow

I think you meant this as a joke, but literally, yes- it can snow brown dirty snow during really energetic storms that come off the desert. Some people have taken to calling it "snirt". It seems like it happens a lot more often, but maybe that's just me being cranky. Sucks for skiing, but also for runoff and things like that...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    just me being cranky
    probably that