Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Line Skis

Line Skis

Must start off by saying that I am aware of this thread, but don't know what to make of it yet.

Regardless, I checked out a pair of Line Eric Pollard Pro's. I have to say that I like what I see and feel. They have similar diminsions to Pocket Rockets, but feel much stiffer. In fact they felt suprisingly solid. This is what I am looking for. Plus the Line binding thing is interesting because I could also get a pair of Mothership Titaniums for some new fat boards, and not have to buy another binding. Plenty of feedback in tech talk on the Moships, but does anyone have some feedback on the Pollard Pro? Wish I could just demo a pair, but that is tough to do in the Mid-Atlantic. Plus this shop will let you return the ski (for credit) if you hate it - nice deal.

Edit - I did find one endorsement from Meats of Evil: "The skis are the line eric pollard pros. I dig them, i mounted them back two 2cm and they kick ass. There the best all around ski line makes."
    Last edited by Mcwop; 10-09-2004 at 04:59 PM.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

The ski is probably pretty good. The dimensions look good, and if it feels good to you, I'd say go for it.

I'd be a lot more worried about the binding. They say they've fixed a lot of the durability problems from last year, but it's still really new tech in a field where the best tech is over a decade old (look turntable heel, for example.)

Plus, I don't know if you ski with snowboarders a lot, but they are constantly having to tighten the binding screws in their boards. At first it's solid, but after 20-30 days, they are like lock-tight junkies. This sure looks like a similar sort of setup, so it might have the same sort of long term wear problem.

So, you wanna be a beta-tester for Line bindings, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    So, you wanna be a beta-tester for Line bindings, eh?
    Still undecided on the binding. I figure if it does not work, then the skis can be mounted with traditional bindings.

If I am the beta tester - then consider it done for all of maggotdom.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu
    ...I don't know if you ski with snowboarders a lot, but they are constantly having to tighten the binding screws in their boards. At first it's solid, but after 20-30 days, they are like lock-tight junkies...
    New snowboard bindings come with the screws coated with locktite. Once you install the bindings, they will stay tight forever, UNLESS you turn the screws to change the stance width, angles, etc. Anything that breaks the seal means you need to reapply the loctite. (That includes cranking on the screws even a fraction of a turn - just to make sure they are tight.)

Any automotive mechanic knows this, and so should any snowboarder who is constantly bringing out the screwdriver to tighten their bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    Still undecided on the binding. I figure if it does not work, then the skis can be mounted with traditional bindings.
    Unless it fucks up your ankle/leg/knee.

Unless it fucks up your ankle/leg/knee.
    ]

What a strange way to gauge the effectiveness of bindings...

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    ]

Aware of that, and one of the many things to think about in terms of their binding.

Man - need snow bad - October is such a cruel month.

looking at the line binding all i can say is that i'm concerned. the little switch that you use to set the length of the binding to dial in your boot sole length seem like they could open kinda easy. it'll be interesting to see how they hold up on hill. props to coming out with a new idea but it's gonna be a time will tell thing for sure.

line binding looks interesting and, if it works like it says it does, could save some ACLs, but i definately wouldn't want to be one of the guinea pigs for it.

my advise - buy some rossis or looks and if you start hearing good things about the line bindings (ie - they don't break) and you still want them, go for it. otherwise stick with something that you know will work for sure.
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

The one big problem with the lne Reactor bindgings is that they are HEAVY. I just picked up a ski with one on it the other day. If you don't mid the feel of a Heavy demo binding on your skis all the time then, check them out, but if not, go elsewhere (LOOK solly).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo
    New snowboard bindings come with the screws coated with locktite. Once you install the bindings, they will stay tight forever, UNLESS you turn the screws to change the stance width, angles, etc. Anything that breaks the seal means you need to reapply the loctite. (That includes cranking on the screws even a fraction of a turn - just to make sure they are tight.)
    Yet the whole point of the binding is that you can have one binding and a quiver of skis and constantly switch. That's the selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu
    Yet the whole point of the binding is that you can have one binding and a quiver of skis and constantly switch. That's the selling point.
    Agreed, that seems to spell trouble ahead with Line binding screws coming loose - unless you carry a tube of loctite with you.

The Burt binding setup that I had back in the 80s (70s?) was one system where you could easily swap bindings from one set of skis to another. You just needed a mounting plate for each pair.

Good reports from people in the EC with them. A lot of the shop monkeys liked em too.

the ski. I too think the mount footprint is too small.

this was in response to the "binding or ski q below"
    Last edited by schuss; 10-11-2004 at 01:08 AM. Reason: time screwed up

I don't have any feedback on the bindings, but I love the Pollards. Best performing all mountain twin I've been on.

I remain skeptical about the mounting pattern. It's a very tiny square that will be seeing a lot of torque, and I predict that this creates a very sloppy boot/ski interface -- making skiing more difficult, and eventually resulting in a meaningful quantity of T-nuts coming loose or being ripped out of the ski.

Plus it means that the binding must be made incredibly heavy in an ultimately doomed effort to counteract the problem.

I like their release technology. It's too bad they're ruining it with an unsound mounting system. There are many easy ways to solve this, but it appears they were too concerned with doing it "just like a snowboard".

That's what concerned me. Why does the footprint of mounting screws need to be so tiny? You'd need a really beefy sole plate on the binding to resist the twisting and bending forces that a big, aggressive skier is going to put on them, thus adding weight or, if it's not up to the job, compromising release.

I love the concept but can't see how it can work with such a fundamentally flawed foundation.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 11-01-2004 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    Good reports from people in the EC with them. A lot of the shop monkeys liked em too.
    The binding or the ski?

Any binding that only uses 4 screws to stay mounted to the ski worries me.....

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Inconsistent release can hold you in when it should release you, possibly resulting in injury. How is that a strange way to gauge the effectiveness of bindings? (I admit my original response was glib & didn't explain what I meant.)

Bindings
    Parachutes
    Helmets
    Condoms

Those are a few things that you don't want to beta test.

Inconsistent release can hold you in when it should release you, possibly resulting in injury. How is that a strange way to gauge the effectiveness of bindings? (I admit my original response was glib & didn't explain what I meant.)

Bindings
    Parachutes
    Helmets
    Condoms

Those are a few things that you don't want to beta test.
    What if the Condom beta test was with Rebecca Stamos?

How difficult would it be to use some other hardware (ie, besides adhesives or sealants like lock-tite), such as lockwashers, to help secure screws and bindings in the inserts.

I know that in my work, we have a great many panels or components which must periodically or routinely be removed to perform maintenance on stuff underneath or inside. When the panels are put back on, they aren't always sealed shut, as hardware can provide the resistance necessary to prevent the screws or bolts from backing out. Since these are aircraft parts, they undergo a whole lot of stress and a huge temperature range.

On a side note, McWop, it is very noble for you to make yourself a guinea pig to further the cause, but since your body is possibly on the line I'm not sure it's worth it, unless you're being paid to do it.

I agree that inserts for ski bindings would be wonderful. The bitch to buying new skis is the 200 bucks or so you always have to spend to put binders on 'em. Unless you're fortunate and can get freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones
    How difficult would it be to use some other hardware (ie, besides adhesives or sealants like lock-tite), such as lockwashers, to help secure screws and bindings in the inserts.

I know that in my work, we have a great many panels or components which must periodically or routinely be removed to perform maintenance on stuff underneath or inside. When the panels are put back on, they aren't always sealed shut, as hardware can provide the resistance necessary to prevent the screws or bolts from backing out. Since these are aircraft parts, they undergo a whole lot of stress and a huge temperature range.

On a side note, McWop, it is very noble for you to make yourself a guinea pig to further the cause, but since your body is possibly on the line I'm not sure it's worth it, unless you're being paid to do it.

I agree that inserts for ski bindings would be wonderful. The bitch to buying new skis is the 200 bucks or so you always have to spend to put binders on 'em. Unless you're fortunate and can get freebies.
    Still may not pull the trigger on the binding (or the ski). Gave it a good look over in the shop, and it looks straight-forward. The binding is basically comprised of two toe pieces compared to traditional bindings. So the rear moves side to side (similar to a toe piece on any binding), and up.

So long as the materils are solid - the physics of it make sense. The tough part will be in how to evaluate the binding after a season of people using it. How do you measure injury rate, and determine if the injury was caused by the binding or not. People, and a lot of them, do get hurt on traditional bindings every year. Question is, is it the binding or some other factor.

I may have the shop do a release test/demo to see how the boot comes out as a result of different forces. Not a perfect test, but maybe some indication of what to expect.
    Last edited by Mcwop; 10-11-2004 at 04:37 PM.

It doesn't help you, McWop, but Front Rangers can demo the Line binding and Line skis from the Jibij Pro Shop in Boulder.

disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the Jibij Pro Shop.