Volcano Raid Round 2: part 6 Mt Baker

June 29th

After climbing Mt Hood Ari and I stopped by Hood River to get some food before the long drive back to Seattle. Once arriving back home I spoke with Amar who informed me that he was interested in tackling Baker the next day and asked if I was interested in joining. It was a no brainier as I hadn’t summit Baker yet this season so we started trying to figure out the best route. Our original intention was the Boulder/Park Cleaver headwall but after receiving some beta we found that a massive shrund wrapped around the whole route so we chose to do the Squak Glacier instead.

The route up the Squak Glacier

We started hiking a little bit before 7 with 2.5 miles of trail before hitting continuous snow. Once we hit the snow we switched over to skinning up the low angled slopes trying to minimize our exposure to crevasses. The route is in great shape with only a few snow bridges along the way and nothing that I would consider to be sketchy. You could tell there was a lot of activity on the route on Sunday but a day later we had the whole route to ourselves. The snow hadn’t soften like we expected so once we arrived at the crater we switched over to cramponing up the Roman Headwall for the final 1000 vert. Once arriving at summit proper we rested and considered dropping into the boulder glacier but decided against doing it blindly so we got our gear together and dropped into the Roman headwall.
    Amar skinning up with the Sisters to the West

Amar skinning to the Crater

Hiking across the flat slopes on the summit

Looking into the crater to the east

Looking to the NE

We expected the snow to be firm because of the wind blasting on the face but were surprised to find it edgeable. After riding down the Headwall we found ourselves on the low angle slopes of the squak glacier delivering perfect smooth corn for over 2500 feet before becoming suncupped for the final 1500 feet back to the trail.

Amar skiing down the Roman headwall and Squak Glacier

Now here I am packing up for a week long trip and the final chapter of the second Raid

Sorry about blowing up the ski/snowboard forum
    I wish I could have taken more time to write up these trip reports but Ive been packing and writing at the same time.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162740"]Volcano Raid Round 2: part 1 Broken Top - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162751"]Volcano Raid Round 2: part 2 Diamond Peak - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162836"]Volcano Raid Round 2: part 3 Mcloughlin - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162839"]Volcano Raid Round 2: part 4 North Sister - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162843"]Volcano Raid Round 2: part 5 Mt Hood - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

The animal is back at it!

Certified badass. Glacier Peak is next? I can't friggin wait to see that TR, it's on my list.

way to kill it Kyle

did you get a look at the coverage on the park headwall?
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|------------------|--------------------|3333
    |-------------------|-------------0---0-|--------1111--------|--------------------
    |-------------------|-----------0--2---|-0--------------------020----0--------
    |----------------0-|-------------------|-----2--2222-0h2-----02------20--
    |-2----2---3------|----2222--------------|--3333--------|------------------|2222
    |-------------------|----3333-------------|---------------------------------------|3333-

Quote Originally Posted by slogdawg View Post
    way to kill it Kyle

did you get a look at the coverage on the park headwall?
    Thanks man but that is nothing compared to what youve been doing lately.
    We did recieve a few photos that showed a huge shrund that wrapped around the boulder Glacier but I imagine the Park Headwall is in good shape.
    I wish we would have gone that way but I just did not have the time.
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411