Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs down Black Diamond Factors - BOOOO!

Screw Tech Talk - I'm pissed!

Broke two walk mode pins in two days! This is such a key part, and I KNOW they broke these in product testing - I broke both in the same place, so easily.

$700 for this bullshit?!?! And come to think of it, my Covert Avalung pack seems to be busting a few seams around the compression straps as well.

Kudos for making innovative products that answer the demands of real skiers, but Black Diamond has far and away the LOWEST quality of fit and finish in the ski industry.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dside11-11 View Post
    Screw Tech Talk - I'm pissed!

Broke two walk mode pins in two days! This is such a key part, and I KNOW they broke these in product testing - I broke both in the same place, so easily.

$700 for this bullshit?!?! And come to think of it, my Covert Avalung pack seems to be busting a few seams around the compression straps as well.

Kudos for making innovative products that answer the demands of real skiers, but Black Diamond has far and away the LOWEST quality of fit and finish in the ski industry.
    What were you doing when they broke? Just skiing? Hucking? I have the Factors and don't have too many days on them, but have been pretty happy so far. Gotta wait for the Calcaneus to heal up before I get back out on them. I guess time will tell.

I broke a buckle, BD fixed it super quick and easy... The rest of the boot seems to be holding up fine, haven't blown out the walk mode yet.

But...

I don't think I can keep using the Factor as an alpine boot... Its moving to strictly touring so I don't ruin it within the next week.

To make things worse, after you went in, they opened up Horseshoe. Snow was perfect for launching off shit/stomping pillows. Tear.

Mr. AG has been using his Factors inbounds almost every day he's skied this year and hasn't had any problems with them. And he flips them into walk whenever he's on the tram, etc. He's been a little worried about it, but at the same time - BD is in town and I'm sure they can fix them if they break.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

I honestly hate doing this, and never start threads like this, but it's ridiculous and deserves a response. They are billed as an everyday boot that you can charge inbounds and out. And that's what I want them for. I love the way they ski and fit, and am super stoked that a company stepped up and made a product like this, but this piddly shit that ends an otherwise great day makes me furious.

Maybe my expectations were too high considering this is the first product I ran out and paid damn close to retail for in years...

My apologies if this is a little harsh.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

No matter how much testing they do, it's hard to put out a perfect product in its first run. I'm always hesitant to buy in the first year of production. Hopefully they can resolve your problem and hook you up.

not too harsh at all....Id be more than pissed.

As most of us folk never pay retail for anything and when you do.....you have to expect something for it. I'd take them right back to the shop you bought them from and demand a new pair and let said shop deal with BD. Ive always been a garmont boot man myself.....maybe if I lived in SLC that would be different.

I've never had a problem with my tornado's (which i really like) but was looking forward to trying a pair of the factors next season based on all the positive reviews here. Good luck getting the boot taken care of, hope BD treats ya right.

You still didn't answer my question. How did they break? What were you doing?

That's a real bummer. I guess the Factors are not a true alpine boot-- still best suited for touring. You may start by writing a letter to BD customer service. They at least should know how their product is succeeding and failing.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

JTrue, we've had high avy danger and jack squat open at CB in the week or so that Dside has owned the boots. GS through bumps would be the most aggro thing those boots have seen.

Rob, that sucks, dude. Learn to love those Dalbellos again. See you in a couple days, assuming we can make it back through this storm

Yah, but if Factors are dedicated touring boots, they suck then, as they are 9lbs a pair and don't flex past 90 in walk mode. So they better hold up for everyday resort skiing. That's the point.

Unfortunately I have found BD gear to be going downhill. Their hardgoods are OK, but even then, their harnesses and ice axes aren't a touch on Petzl or Arc'Teryx. I bought an Avalung for what it is, but the pack construction is crap compared to Deuter, Osprey, Arc'Teryx, Mammut, North Face Patrol, DaKine, etc. BD are going downhill, and not in a good way. That's my take on it from selling the gear for the past 10 years, and now seeing it no longer offered in the shop(s) I have worked in due to poor quality. There's a few good items (BD Guide gloves!) but I wonder what their strategy is -- go like North Face into mainstream resort gear, leaving only a few core items?
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Damn Rob, that sucks. Hopefully they can get 'em fixed quick-like, looks like we may have a bit of a storm stacking up.

maybe it is because you are hudge and throw down real hard. maybe your boots are not core enough for you

that sucks.... it is because you paid close to retail for them, that is why it happened.....

I would be curious to see where they broke, given that we have sold a lot of pairs, and haven't seen any real issues.... but most people don't ski like you do.
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry1pr View Post
    To make things worse, after you went in, they opened up Horseshoe. Snow was perfect for launching off shit/stomping pillows. Tear.

doooood. I heard.

shit.

as for the boots. Apparently they aren't made for charging inbounds. Oh well BD, try again i guess.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    doooood. I heard.

shit.

Westwall tomorrow (i mean today?) Should be decent

jep. also have a backpack from bd. the fit sucks. deuter (f.e.) is way better.

also want to add Volkl and Marker.
    I killed the Kuro after 3days...broken sidewalls.ok, the look is stylestyle with this transparent sidewall. wtf? buddy hit with the same rock with a hellbent ->nothing.

and marker dukes. broke this shit adhustable frontsystem now 3 times. this means 15days per one broken binding. that sucks!!!

and 380euros for this "performance".....

(my new powboard with p18 hopefully gets more days

1. Don't buy shit unless it's tried and true.

2. You broke the walk mode pins?? Were you walking in walk mode?? i'm sorry but if you were walking when they broke or skiing in walk mode next time just suck it up and walk with the buckles loose or something.. The more shit there is TO break on anything, the more likely SOMETHING will break on it.

I'm really not surprised at all, no matter what BD says, they're not alpine boots. I avoid skiing touring gear in the area at all costs. Gotta save that shit for what it's made for.

Hopefully they can work something out for you man.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I've seen one other pair with a broken walk function.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

BD has a long history of coming up with great products on the drawing board that fail in the field. But that said, they have incredible support for their products.

I have no doubt if you take them to BD warranty, they will fix the problem the same hour, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I have no doubt if you take them to BD warranty, they will fix the problem the same hour, no questions asked.
    Yeah - my experience has been that if they can't fix in in like 5 minutes, they just replace it. But that's kinda the thing - if you live in SLC or happen to be in SLC at the time it rocks, but if you live in CB you're still stuck with broken gear for a week or two. Warrenties and great customer service are cool and all, but really I'd rather just have gear that stays in one piece. Not ripping on BD, just sayin'.

Shit breaks...that's why they have warranty's. And if you guys think that the Factors aren't hardcore enough...you might be reminded on who did a lot of testing on them. Billy Poole??? Maybe you just need to stay centered on your skis more.

And to add...I think to get pissed because your sidewall blew up when you landed on a rock is retarded.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

BD/Scarpa walk mode pins have always been notorious for breaking/falling out.

I've only ever had them fall out of T1s/TRaces that were worn on a daily basis.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете