Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Okemo Ski Racing WTF

Every year we deal with the race crews coming through Loveland. They scare us with their disregard for personal space on the mountain, sometimes culminating in collisions, which is against Colorado law I believe. But we hunker down and deal with it. I dump speed and change my course because they surely won't and I just wait for the day they all go home to the ice sheets they love so much.

But yesterday reached a different level of obnoxiousness. Brett and I are going through the maze, not bothering anybody and three 50-60ish men come in behind us. The look around with a sneer on their face and then looking down at Brett's skis one says in a rude and aggressive tone, "What are those for?" Brett just doesn't respond. I almost said "Skiing", but before I could, another one says, "Can you even turn those?" in the same condescending voice." You really had to be there to understand their snobby tone.

Then they turn to me and say, "I guess you couldn't pick a color", talking about my clothes. Again, it was a rude tone of voice, not even a joking or teasing one. Just rude.

At that point I said, "Hi, how are you guys doing. Super day out today, isn't it?" with my best ski school smile plastered on my face. We loaded up and when we got off at the top, I saw the Okemo emblem on their back. I don't know if they were coaches or alumni or what, but their behavior was just shameful. And then I think this is the example they are setting for the racing kids. Doubly shameful.
    Last edited by SheRa; 11-23-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Clean Like Amonia, Sick Like Pneumonia, MA
    I notice that a lot in ski racing, not to over-generalize, but it always seems like academy kids/adults are self entitled little pricks, who's shit doesn't stink. Attitude in any genre of skiing is bad for the sport. Granted I may think I am gods gift to snow, but will be the first one to yuck it up with that guy on the lift who has his jeans tucked into his rear entry boots. Some people need to get over them self's.
    If you have a problem with macdadmorgan, you have a problem with yourself.

There is no place for rude behavior on the Mt. especially if you represent a team/organization. Unfortunately there are stupid assholes everywhere. I commend you for acting like the PRO you are.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Okemo sucks anyway you look at it. Imagine that attitude times 1000 when you ski there, which I don't, but as a kid it's where my parents liked to ski. At least you didn't let it ruin your day, at least I hope not.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Brett-should have busted the Perculator on their Ass!

That is sad. I love the sport of ski racing, but I do hate the attitude that often accompanies it. So far I have held out on coaching because of this..... I'm afraid I would clash with other coaches, and really piss off parents because I wouldn't accept bullshit excuses from their spoiled brat little kids.

My kids are starting to approach racing age, and I might reconsider.... we'll see.

Not all racers and coaches are bad. I know you know that, but it sure seems like it sometimes... I for one will try my best to reverse that image by being overly nice and courteous.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by eastvailhucker View Post
    Brett-should have busted the Perculator on their Ass!
    Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super day, not ruined at all.

I really do love to see the racers' nice stance, leg extension and clean clean edging. Sometimes I'll get behind one of them and just imitate. And that's the highest form of flattery, hey?

yooper, I hope you will coach and set a good example!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Okemo is an island in the middle of Vermont setup to cater to wealthy and over privileged New Yorkers and New Jersey dwellers on the weekends.

The obnoxiousness comes with the territory (clientele). They drive in on Friday nights, ski for two days, and then drive back home on Sunday nights. But the money stays is always welcome and lubricates the local economy in the winter months. Some locals there are probably glad a few of the obnoxious asses went out west for a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    My kids are starting to approach racing age, and I might reconsider.... we'll see.
    You should reconsider. Racing isn't totally a bunch of pricks with huge attitudes (hell, I used to race a couple decades ago (())), but a hell of a lot ofracers, coaches and others associated with it are fucking losers. Things may very well have changed, but I remember Marquette Mountian being loaded with huge ego gate rapers. It really doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be that way.

Gotta love the lift line shit-talkers.

Will be very happy when they are gone.

Thumbs up

Jer, do the eyes deceive? Are you really here?

No more of this playing coy and staying away from TGR, ok? Consider yourself assimiliated.

Henry David Thoreau

It is too bad you had to deal with such pricks. It always cracks me up when rich older people in their 50s walk around a ski resort acting like they are great and will be racing Bode Miller next week. It is just stupid.

Be humble and have sharp edges.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

my wife informs me that Sean Hannity skis at Okemo

if I didn't hate Okemo already, thats just the icing on the cake
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I grew up skiing Okemo, so i can totally understand the aged racers' feelings of inferiority. Not to say there are no good skiers in the East, but it's kinda like the Hummer syndrome, trying to make up for what's lacking. Of course, the way they go about it is totally misplaced...
    "Can you even turn those?"
    Comes from him thinking..."i couldn't turn those" so he must not be able to...arrogance ---> ignorance.

Take solace in the knowledge that they disappear when it dumps!
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Okemo is an island in the middle of Vermont setup to cater to wealthy and over privileged New Yorkers and New Jersey dwellers on the weekends...The obnoxiousness comes with the territory (clientele).
    Oh ya.

I had a 5+ year interlude in New England (Kootenays before and since) awhile back. Basically quit skiing and went ice climbing while there (I'd rather climb ice than ski it, but that's just me.)

Anyway, took my then smallish kids to Okemo on occassion the first winter. Supposed to be all "family friendly." I'm in the lift line with my 7 and 5 year old sons and some mid-30's gaper woman comes out-of-control into the lift line, skids out trying to stop and slides into my younger son, taking his legs out from under him. First words out of her mouth? Not "I'm so sorry" or "Is your boy okay?" but "SOMEBODY GET THIS KID OFF OF MY LEGS." Unreal.

Why didnt brett kick their ass? Or is he just brave online?

Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Try looking at it from inside their plug boots: you put on your queeby little outfit, go set up a bunch of gates on the shittiest "snow" you can find, click into your gay little short-ass skis and spend all day running gates. On the rare occasion that you're not schralping gates on ice ruts, you still end up making a billion little turns because in your mind you're still locked into that racecourse. At the end of the day, you gather with the rest of your racerbuddies and argue about edge bevels and base structure. Is it any wonder they act like complete pricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Try looking at it from inside their plug boots: you put on your queeby little outfit, go set up a bunch of gates on the shittiest "snow" you can find, click into your gay little short-ass skis and spend all day running gates. On the rare occasion that you're not schralping gates on ice ruts, you still end up making a billion little turns because in your mind you're still locked into that racecourse. At the end of the day, you gather with the rest of your racerbuddies and argue about edge bevels and base structure. Is it any wonder they act like complete pricks?
    bout time you contributed something actually funny. 6K more posts until you do it again?
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    bout time you contributed something actually funny. 6K more posts until you do it again?
    Yeah - well at least I don't hang out here just to scam people.

Speaking of funny - when are you going to finally contribute?

hrmph. East coast douchebags. Shoulda had a gapertastic moment and just fallen over onto them, oops, sorry, bragh, I guess I need wider skis so I don't tip over on your Camden ass.

Dumbasses.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Why didnt brett kick their ass? Or is he just brave online?

He's such a charmer at Loveland. He's even got patrol schmoozed there. I'd find it utterly charming except that I'm so jealous because I really have to keep my head down and stay out of trouble.

I'll let him tell yesterday's story.

And just so you know, I really disapprove of your behavior in gear swap as well.
    Henry David Thoreau

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Probably the only negative aspect about LL. I simply just don't get it. There will be hundreds of really not very good skiers who spend tons of money to fly in from AK, VT, etc to make 40000 turns going .5 mph on the death ribbon who then act all pissed if you are maching laps past their little teams. I thought ski racing was about going fast, not being a huge douchebag and getting pissed at people who are not doing what they are doing.

Skiing is a really strange sport.

There are so many different aspects to it.

You have racers, park rats, big mountain skiers, mogul skiers, psia people, telemarkers and everybody in between.

Ask any of these people what skiing is, they'll tell you something different.

You see this difference posting on NS, Teletips, Epicski, and here on TGR.

I don't post at those other places, because I can't relate to them.
    They don't represent my idea of skiing.

This is one of the driving factors for me creating my blog at soulskier.com

I guarantee those guys yesterday can in no way relate to my ski reality, and I'm ok with that. That's why I didn't respond to them. Of course, I'm also used to the dumb comments since I'm skiing the Fischer 207 complete with the skeg.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane