Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Real Story behind Steep

little bit of self promotion here, but theres a really good book that just came out by William Kerig called "The Edge of Never". The book is about Kye Peterson and his trip to Chamonix to ski the line that killed his father. The original concept for the story was to turn it into a movie, and Kerig got Peter Jennings on board to produce it. Its a really good book and worth the read. I also had the opportunity to do a review on the book in this months Powder if you want to learn more about it. also, heres bills website

http://www.theedgeofnever.com/index.html
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

wow...I remember Bill Kerig from the Bud Mogul Tour. That thing produced him, Kristin Ulmer, Shane McConkey, Brad Holmes...God knows who else I'm spacing right now.

Thirty bucks to the UK? Steep alright.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Red face Sorry

Sorry, Roo, it costs me $13 to ship to the UK in any kind of timely manner. I could send it slow boat for less, but you'd get it about the time the snow melts. Thanks for thinking about it any way. Cheers.

I read the whole chapter that was in the PDF and aside from a few proofing issues, I thought it was bloody good.

Yeah, that was taken from the uncorrected proof. Raw copy and as you can see, I'm not a grammar biddy. My Dad was an English professor and I kinda refused to get good at grammar, just so I could keep from becoming my old man (which I sorta did anyway).

Hopefully the typos were corrected in the final book.

THX for reading and the props.

Cheers,
    BK

Roo, amazon UK has it for 10 quid:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Never-S.../dp/0965633845

Damn that Amazon!

Kidding. You should buy it there.

Course after Amazon discounts the snot out of it, and every middle man takes his cut, the author (me!) makes about 35 cents, which in the end means writers can't make a living and stop trying to write good books and become alcoholic, coke-snorting lawyers who end up working for big, greedy law firms that sue ski areas and raise ski lift ticket prices until the chairs stop running and the tram cars are pulled off the cable and turned into espresso bars where afore mentioned lush-brained lawyers go to attend their AA meetings...

how about paying for a pdf, electronic version of the book?
    Last edited by f2f; 10-25-2008 at 02:52 PM.

I bought it through Amazon but will gladly stand you a beer when our paths cross.

Kye's story, tragic as it is, has felt a bit overblown by the media, but Bill your writing is excellent. If the excerpt is any indication of the whole book, I can't wait to get my copy (just ordered).

Thanks, Schmear.

I really appreciate the kind words, and your support. Please drop me a line after you're done with it to say what you thought.

Also, I don't know about selling a PDF. I'll have to think about that and right now it's Saturday night, which is not the smartest time for me to try to engage the gray matter...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiWrite View Post
    which in the end means writers can't make a living and stop trying to write good books and become alcoholic, coke-snorting lawyers who end up working for big, greedy law firms
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD, MAN.

There is a very cool preview for it at the end of 'Under The Influence' (at least the copy we showed at the UofU).

Steep would have been a much better movie if it had been just about the Petersons. I thought it wandered around too much in terms of subject matter. The base jumping and mountaineering segments especially felt forced.

I'm with you, SaSSafraS. I'm trying to bring just their story to the screen. Rounding up $$$ for anything these days is a death sport, but we'll get there...

I just watched the "movie" and damn, I want to watch more. Is there more video coming or will I actually have to read?

I'm afraid you'll actually have to read, but I promise, no big words.

We were working hard to finish the movie, even as we were fundraising, but the financial meltdown has nuked our money raising efforts and we've maxed our credit. It might be years before we finish the film...

bump for a really good book. Whether you are a skier or not, its an incredibly rich and emotional story.
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

This is really a good book. I just finished reading it and I am sad the ride is over. It was good on so many levels. It was cool to see these seasoned skiers really reach out to a youngster and guide through a truly tough experience. I can't wait to see the film. You really caught the spirit of a skier. Also I was wondering, was the Grand Roc Bar in a little "mall" like place in Argentiere? Because that place rocked.

Zurichsee, Yeah, that bar was in a little mini-mall type of place with a spiral staircase on the northern end of it. There were monoskiers on the wall. Pizza and breakfast in one section, beer and booze in the other. Yeah, it rocked. And thanks so much for the kind words regarding the book. I'm hoping to have the film and another book out at this time next year. Cheers, BK

Buy this book. It's the only skiing book I've read that gets under the skin of big mountain skiing successfully. Perhaps that's because it visits the places I enjoy skiing. I sure as hell wouldn't let my dad read it as a result.

Some aspects of it work better than others, but having enjoyed the movie Steep, I can say with hand on heart that I would have enjoyed the movie Bill Kerig was trying to make more. I guess commercial interests reigned supreme though.

How has Steep stood up from a financial perspective?
    Last edited by Roo; 11-12-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Cool promo movie.

just purchased a copy for some light reading on the plane ride home for thanksgiving...will let you know what I think!

i'd like to see that movie, hope it happens