Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bariloche 8-25 thru 9-4

I´ll be in town during those dates and looking for any other like minded individuals to make a few turns with. I´ll be spending a day or two at catterdall to get the legs warmed up.

Jason

jrocksf35@yahoo.com

Jrock meet Thincover, Thincover meet Jrock. You guys are living about 100 feet away, enjoy yourselves.

cathedral

Hey, im in Bariloche for about the same length of time but it looks like the weather is not going to be the best- zero viz, rain, lots of closures. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Catedral/6day/top
    Thinking of taking a few days at El Boston to wait it out. Cant get a straight answer out of anyone when this storm will break to become ridable powder.
    anyone? Buller?
    I am in hostel 1004 till tomorrow (tues/26).

love the 1004!

Here's a good weather page.
    http://livinginpatagonia.com/?page_id=122

I suggest drinking it blue.

I took a drive up to the mountain today and the snow level was fairly low. Not to the base. I´ll be heading out tomorrow. Still waiting for gear to arrive, so I am ok with the conditions. Picked up a rental today so I´ll report back.

ELA, I had to leave America Airlines and LAN your number again to call when my bags can be picked up. There could much worse places to be waiting for gear and the storm to break.

Helldawg Guest
    Sounds like Bariloche is taking the piss this year...

Sorry for all you folks that made the trip.

Eh, it's better than not going I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldawg View Post

Bariloche is in good shape, todo bien. Just a little rain event, to add some water to the snowpack.

The alpine is pretty fat actually.

Quote Originally Posted by JrockSF View Post
    ELA, I had to leave America Airlines and LAN your number again to call when my bags can be picked up. There could much worse places to be waiting for gear and the storm to break.
    OK, operators are standing by!

jrock, forgot my computer so i have to head into town everytime so access is limited. i was out on sunday and it was a little firm for sure, today i am sure as you know catedral was closed due to visability. apparently they were getting dumped on all season up until now. i met up with an CO Jones at the base and we made the best of it, skied the whole mt until wind closure around 4. Knock on my door anytime apparently we are right below you, we have a car and plan on hitting bayo as well. 1600 meters and up is getting snow they said so we will see what tommorow brings. but we would be more than happy to accomodate rides to the mountain and some turns as well, however firm they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Jrock meet Thincover, Thincover meet Jrock. You guys are living about 100 feet away, enjoy yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldawg View Post

I guess we hit it just right. Week of Aug. 16th to 21. It would have been sweet if we could have seen what we were skiing but it felt like powder with splotches of wind blown. And cat tracks, those muther f'ing cat tracks of Caterdal. Oh, the memories of double ejections and near misses. Will try and put up some pics later. Thanks to ELA for the auto hook up, worked out sweet and saved us a few pesos. Gracias.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I guess we hit it just right. Week of Aug. 16th to 21. It would have been sweet if we could have seen what we were skiing but it felt like powder with splotches of wind blown. And cat tracks, those muther f'ing cat tracks of Caterdal. Oh, the memories of double ejections and near misses. Will try and put up some pics later. Thanks to ELA for the auto hook up, worked out sweet and saved us a few pesos. Gracias.

Toadster, you are right, whoever designed Catedral was not a skier. After a while, you get to know where the cat tracks are.

Glad Maxi took good care of you.

fun getting the legs warmed up today. Word from patrol was 70cm up top. Nuking up top when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Glad Maxi took good care of you.
    If you get a blue Ford Ecosport from him keep both hands on the wheel at all times, avoid heavy breaking or wet roads. If it snows call a taxi. We probably also fucked up his silver VW Gol on the "road" to Cerro Bayo.

He looked after all our car needs, nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If you get a blue Ford Ecosport from him keep both hands on the wheel at all times, avoid heavy breaking or wet roads. If it snows call a taxi. We probably also fucked up his silver VW Gol on the "road" to Cerro Bayo.

He looked after all our car needs, nice guy.
    We had a Chevy Corsa 4 dr. Probably the size of a 1990 Toyota Corrola. It was interesting putting a 200 CM Dakine ski bag in the trunk.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The Ecosport was given to us in exchange for the VW which refused to start one stormy day in the Catedral parking lot and was last seen being towed off through the maelstrom back to town on a four foot long rope. When I gave the Ford back to him at Bariloche airport I asked if it had been in an accident, "si, a very big one" I was told with a smile. We'd guessed as much based on it's terrifying handling and the huge welds clearly marking where they'd joined two Ecosport together. He didn't actually reassure me with the the timeless "it's all very normally" but it was definitely implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    We had a Chevy Corsa 4 dr. Probably the size of a 1990 Toyota Corrola. It was interesting putting a 200 CM Dakine ski bag in the trunk.
    My first trip to Argentina three of us drove from BA to LL in a similarly sized Daewoo/Hyundai complete with skis luggage, plus several cases of Mendoza's finest on the return.

Half ripped a rocker panel off the thing and burst a shock grounding it out on an unintended Yump. Camouflaged the damage with mud and parked it against a wall when we left it.

What a trip.

Never again.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 08-26-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Good stuff. I was in Maxi's office drinking mate last week, and I asked him what he does with his cars. He says he sells them every 18 months or so. Can't imagine who would ever buy a rental car, much less oe rented by multiple maggots.

I think driving in Argentina is as cultural as a tango show, malbec, lomo, dulce de leche, a futbol game, the A factor, etc. A must do for all that travel to this crazy country!

Quote Originally Posted by JrockSF View Post
    Word from patrol was 70cm up top. Nuking up top when I left.
    Good news, though I would take patrol's word with a grain of sodium. Temps forecasted to drop this afternoon and evening.

3.5 feet of new snow and high avie danger at Catedral today.

yeah it puked hard, it was a whole different mountain today. Me and JRock got after it, face shots and fresh lines all day, since the majority of the argentines stick to the groomers and the plentiful cat tracks. Nubes, Lagunes, and various other portions of the upper mountain did not even open yet, so there is more to be had.

Good times!

Nice, glad it turned for you guys. Jrock, just a tip if you head out with TC again, always let Thin Cover drop first.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    face shots
    are you a midget? cuz thats the only way you were getting face shots yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Hmmm im 6'3".....3.5FEET would be 42 inches...thats more than half way up my body....would be face shots for sure...

You must have a reading comprehension problem.

Are you a giant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    If you knew TC you would find this funny in so many ways.