Pivot Bikes Mach 5 Test Ride (+ some mx related pics)

Since I haven't contributed much of anything (of real value) in the recent years I think it is time to post something informative/valuable again...At least I hope someone is interested on this stuff?
    (And yes, I used to ski alot but then got married and got two kids and a day job...the old story, no need to post TR's from the local mole hill etc.).

But to the issue: I got an excellent opportunity to ride this "dream bike" (sorry for the large pic, couln't make it any smaller and I wonder if it is possible?)

Whoa. Full suspension design has come a long wasy since my former full-susser, Rocky MOuntain Switch Ltd 2003...

This bike has 5.4" travel but rides like a xc bike on the smooth stuff. Still, hitting the rough stuff was better than on the Switch. Ok, I've ridden mostly 29" hard tails for couple of years but I can still say this "little" bike just rules!

I thought that I was a full 29er guy these days but this bike made me consider buying a 26" (= this bike if I ever have enough dough!).

I am going to test ride a similar design 29er, Mach 429 next week and also Niner R.I.P 9...it is going to be interesting to compare 5" travel 26" trail bike vs. 4-4.5" travel 29er. At the moment it is hard to believe those could beat this bike but we'll see...

If you're interested see the details and some more pics here

PS. I got also some decent MX pics in the last weekend. The linking didn't work out (as the pictures are in large format in the original url)...but check this out for some World Cup Motocross action. Those guys really can ride! And if anyone knows a way to link some pictures in reasonable size, go ahead (or give me some advice and I link then!).
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 08-22-2008 at 02:25 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Nice bike. I will definitely be demoing one next year! I'd love to add a 575, a Motolite, this Pivot, or a similar bike to the stable next year (a good peddler but 5+ inches full sus). There's a big gap currently between my hardtail and my 8.5" DH bike...

Was this the full XTR model? Do you know what she weighed in at? i'd be looking at the XT model, but just to get an idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

hmmm....kinda looks like the motolite

I wonder why?

i think it's quite different than the motolite and reflects a different design philosophy.

motolite: for years had crappy rear tire clearance; rear end was laterally flexy/whippy-feeling compared to some other bikes in the category (ventana, turner etc.); quite light, which is where some of the tradeoff was.

Pivot: more of a new-school philosophy in the sense that it emphasizes stiffness and big wide pivots (and is heavier as a result) and some fresh thinking on the normal tradeoffs regarding the interplay between pivot location/width/tire clearance/derailleur mounting on seat tube. I remember seeing some frame weights listed on mtbr and people responding 'damn i was hoping they'd be lighter' while i was thinking 'cool, this bike might be more like what i'm looking for'.

thanks for the ride report.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

You're welcome.

Pivot: more of a new-school philosophy in the sense that it emphasizes stiffness and big wide pivots (and is heavier as a result) and some fresh thinking on the normal tradeoffs regarding the interplay between pivot location/width/tire clearance/derailleur mounting on seat tube. I remember seeing some frame weights listed on mtbr and people responding 'damn i was hoping they'd be lighter' while i was thinking 'cool, this bike might be more like what i'm looking for'.
    Just like that. Well put.

The parts kit was a mixed bag of the shop owner...I think no "kit" (xtr, xt etc.) of any kind. As for the weight of the whole bike, I'll check that out from the said owner...but I guess it couldn't be much more than 13kg (around 29 pounds), even a bit less maybe? At least pedalling was so efficient that you didn't pay much attention to the weight at all. Also, we don't have any long climbs here...for me the bike was "light enough" for sure.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

My friend is demoing some bikes and had the Pivot this weekend as well as a RIP9. I got a chance to ride the Pivot a little and didn't like it vs. my 575, mostly in the way it climbed. It could have been that the shock was set up for a lighter person.

His opinon was the RIP9 was the hands down winner between the two even thought the RIP was slower handling in tighter turns. He's got an Ellsworth, Blur LT and and Intense to try yet. Hopefully I'll get to check those out as well.

29 lbs...hmm. IIRC the full xtr model that MBA (I think) reviewed was sub 25 lbs But also $5k or something like that. Oh well...another season to go before I'm looking at these bikes...
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    29 lbs...hmm. IIRC the full xtr model that MBA (I think) reviewed was sub 25 lbs But also $5k or something like that. Oh well...another season to go before I'm looking at these bikes...
    Well, I was wrong...the shop owner said that the bike is just about 25 lbs. No wonder it flied!
    (And I guess that set-up was around the same price too)
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 08-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.

I'll be doing a R&D week long test ride on the Mach 429 in the near future.

I haven't rode a 29 for more that a few miles and have not been on a squishy bike in over two years... Should be a fun week.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    sub 25 lbs? interesting.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

^ the 29er that is coming way is sub 28.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

I'll be doing a R&D week long test ride on the Mach 429 in the near future.
    Nice, let us know what you think then!

I can't wait to test ride that bike (the only problem is the frame i get to ride is going to be size S, where I would need at least M, maybe even L)

I got an opportunity to test Pivot's Mach 4 - nice bike but I was kind of disappointed it having that much "xc feel" (ok, it is an xc bike, made for racing). But after riding 29er hard tails for two seasons that rig just felt too nervous and "twitchy" to me! And the weight difference wasn't that big compared to Mach 5. I guess for anyone else than pure xc-racer the 5 would be better, more confidense inspiring bike? And not that much slower on the fast sections, after all. (If you're interested, more ramblings here...)