Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Review: 08/09 Salomon Czar 182 = The TITS

There have been a few posts about this new offering from Salomon but nothing more than just i skied it or fondled it so i figured i would throw up my .02........

First off it was a 182 (sorry bigger guys this is the longest it comes in, i know pretty weak)
    Dimensions are 131-111-121 with a rockered tip and very little camber, twin tip, all wood core and a medium flex.

Skis i own: Praxis, Gotama, Heli-Daddies, Inspireds
    Ski style: Ex-Racer, fast and aggressive etc... but only 150 and around 5'8"

Conditions today: Hard packed, lots of bumps and some buttery thick pow mixed in with some delicious sun crust.....

So on to the review - i skied for about 2 hours on them today and did not want to take them off my feet. On groomers they did not feel like 111 underfoot whatsoever - I was able to drive into them and pull off some fun GS type turns. When i really pushed it i ended up hip checking and pulling off a nice donut roll - but hey they are 111 underfoot so i don't expect to be making super aggressive gs turns on them. I was also able to snap short turns and actually had a ton of fun on hard stuff with these. In the bumps they were pretty damn nice as well, soft enough and nimble enough to handle some hard/steep ones with speed.

On to the fun stuff - we dipped into some steep, crusted chutes and a few tree shots with some thick pow and they nailed it all. Super smooth through everything i threw at it. They were very quick and the rocker made them very maneuverable through the tight stuff and very bomber through any crud. Speed was no problem either - they felt very solid and confidence inspiring. For those Gotama lovers out there - the czars killed the gotamas in all conditions today which i was surprised with because i love my gotamas.

So all in all, i am definitely buying these come next season - they will fit very nicely between my Gotamas and Praxis (they will probably eliminate my Gotamas!) I mean today was just a regular hard-packed day with some relatively warmer temps so i wasn't expecting to love them on a day like today but i did - i can't even imagine how amazing they will be in anything soft. I think salomon hit a home run with these - wide enough to float in anything, regular sidecut and slight camber to ski for the hardstuff/runouts etc.., and tip rocker.....it was a pretty ideal combo mixed in with good construction and some pretty nice graphics.....

I miss 'em already....

Thanks for the review; I am hoping to get Mrs.BLS on these next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLineSeeker View Post
    Thanks for the review; I am hoping to get Mrs.BLS on these next year.
    Sounds like the perfect pow ski for the ladies or the smaller/light weight guys out there. I guess the Overlord is for the big guys?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

sandwich construction on em, or still cap? Also did they manage to keep them pretty light weight without the "spaceframe" liquid robot magma this time around?

Just like every ski ever made by salomon, it's a cap ski. wood and metal core underneath the cap though. not really light, but skis light.

This was the best new ski I've tested in a couple of years (out of many). It's so easy to ski that it felt like a toy, but it's got a damp ride and enough substance to charge. Combines the feel of the old yellow ak rockets (though it doesn't feel quite as noodly) with the easy pivot of rocker. Straight shape means minimal adjustment on the packed.
    Huge dudes and people that like planky skis will hate them, but skiers who know how to be subtle will love this ski. Easiest performance ski I've ever been on.

What size Got's are you on. Are these the first rockered skis with sidecut that you've ridden?

Quote Originally Posted by sandflea View Post
    What size Got's are you on. Are these the first rockered skis with sidecut that you've ridden?
    Yeah H-wood is pretty right on - i am on 176 gots but i don't like the length - i prefer 183s. I have praxis now so these are not my first rockered skis but yes they are my first rockered skis with traditional sidecut

But yeah like a few have said - seems like a great pow ski for ladies or lighter dudes that want a smooth easy ski......

The reason that I ask... is because I'm on 183's and I have hellbents and I've been looking at the Rossi S7's and the Armada JP's. I would like to take these for a test run.

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood View Post
    Just like every ski ever made by salomon, it's a cap ski. wood and metal core underneath the cap though. not really light, but skis light.
    Except next year the Dumont and the Suspect are both Wood cores and sidewall construction with dual wrapped edges.

schwiiing!
    nice review. Sounds like I might like these a lot.

WTF is with the 182 length? I was hoping that after the 198 XW Labs, which I love, Solly would keep making longer skis. I love the non-planky feel of Salomon's but 182's are really weak sauce for us bigger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Sounds like the perfect pow ski for the ladies or the smaller/light weight guys out there. I guess the Overlord is for the big guys?
    YEP. or just go with a 194 LP XXL. They KILL it! The 187 XXL would go any where the Czar would but with so much more authority. Not to knock the Salomon - just seem to be way too soft for anyone over 170lbs who can charge. Salomon is heading the right direction with this ski - maybe they will make a "Lab" version Czar that's a 188 and at least Gotama stiff. That would be a sweet Czar. Hmmm then why not just go with the Rocker (a damn sweet ski) or XWing Lab...
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

why compare apple to oranges?
    this ski isn't for nuking AK runs, but it has lots of metal in it and a straight sidecut. 110ish underfoot + metal means a 182 has about the mass of a super g ski. A better comparison might be a 183 katana.
    yes, bigger guys might want a longer ski, and some people might like a stiffer feel.

...that said, I normally ski on a stiffer, longer ski and I was really impressed by this one, especially in awkward or skied-up snow. The soft flex really soaks up the chop, you can't stuff the tip, and it's easy to dump speed almost instantly. Very confidence-inspiring, easy to flick around, and I was stoked to get that level of smoothness and predictability from something that wasn't a burly unforgiving plank. There's a tradeoff on hardpack, but fuck hardpack.
    Last edited by H-wood; 03-18-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Nice review.... Yeah, I think the 182 is a little small for me... 6'3" 205lb. The smallest boards I have been on in the big mtn are the 188 guns. Time for an upgrade to something a little more springy. The Czar's look sick, but 182??? Praxis has the MTN Jib ski that seems to be almost the same ski, but a 188. I think I am going there, as of Today, Sunday, August 31, 2008. I ride the Praxis powder skis, they are sick. So I am hoping to get the same great performance out of the 188 Mtn Jim boards... or maybe the MTN Freerides... Any testers?

http://praxisskis.com/ski/index.php?...mart&Itemid=77
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood View Post
    why compare apple to oranges?
    this ski isn't for nuking AK runs, but it has lots of metal in it and a straight sidecut. 110ish underfoot + metal means a 182 has about the mass of a super g ski. A better comparison might be a 183 katana.
    yes, bigger guys might want a longer ski, and some people might like a stiffer feel.

...that said, I normally ski on a stiffer, longer ski and I was really impressed by this one, especially in awkward or skied-up snow. The soft flex really soaks up the chop, you can't stuff the tip, and it's easy to dump speed almost instantly. Very confidence-inspiring, easy to flick around, and I was stoked to get that level of smoothness and predictability from something that wasn't a burly unforgiving plank. There's a tradeoff on hardpack, but fuck hardpack.
    I CONCUR.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

they need to make a czar that is 20cm longer
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    they need to make a czar that is 20cm longer
    Lotus 120 in a 200cm.

FYI: I'm 6'2" and a buck ninety and I skied the 182 for the last two years and was totally impressed that I could ski it and it worked so friggin well. I never thought the 182 would work but it soon became my snowmobiling bc and everyday squaw ski. I mounted 'em forward to give myself some tail and quickness and they worked amazingly.

But just incase you aint' sold on rocking an '82, a 190 is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    FYI: I'm 6'2" and a buck ninety and I skied the 182 for the last two years and was totally impressed that I could ski it and it worked so friggin well. I never thought the 182 would work but it soon became my snowmobiling bc and everyday squaw ski. I mounted 'em forward to give myself some tail and quickness and they worked amazingly.

But just incase you aint' sold on rocking an '82, a 190 is in the works.
    they already gave the xwings the lords graphic why not give it the rocker too? its not that i think the c%r isnt 'burly' enough per se its just i find skis that are too short are less forgiving in terms of for aft balance. for example i wish my rockers and my squads were both 10 cm longer and ive never felt myself wanting for 'more ski' with either. it just seems to me that if you give a ski a GS turn size you should make it avail in gs lengths 6'4 puts me solidly in the 19x lengths for gs skis
    Last edited by Phill; 09-01-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Ahh bumpin this ol' guy......these definitely were fun skis.....and look Freeskier Mag rated them as "cream of the crop" - look at that, i should be reviewing for them!

I know i said i would def be buying them but i actually went with Praxis Pow Rxs instead.....i just loved my Powders too much so i'm stickin with the small guy.....but this czars were super fun - if i had more $ i'd buy 'em too and maybe even use them as my touring option....

so what's the deal w/ the lord then, an attempt at an 'all-mountain' czar or a different beast all together?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

The Lords are kind of a different beast, think Mantra with more power.

If you wish your rockers were 10cm longer than mount them 2-3cm forward of the line. It'll give you much more in terms of layover arc-ability and more ski feel.

they gave the XW Labs the Lord graphic just to give it the graphic. That ski doesn't sell shit, so they keep it just because Kaj and I like it so damn much and slap new graphics on it every year. The ski doesn't need rocker, it's good as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    The Lords are kind of a different beast, think Mantra with more power.

If you wish your rockers were 10cm longer than mount them 2-3cm forward of the line. It'll give you much more in terms of layover arc-ability and more ski feel.

they gave the XW Labs the Lord graphic just to give it the graphic. That ski doesn't sell shit, so they keep it just because Kaj and I like it so damn much and slap new graphics on it every year. The ski doesn't need rocker, it's good as is.

How do the rockers feel on hard snow mounted forward? As it is I feel like i'm tip toeing on the front of the contact portion of the ski. Also could you explain the wisdom between mounting forward on this ski, its not that i don't think it works i just don't really get it. I've always heard that forward mounting would make a ski less stable but idk?

Also stoked that you like the labs a lot. I haven't skied mine yet and just bought them cause I got such an awesome deal. Mount on the line?

And one more question while ive got your attention.

Lets say you have the salomon freeski quiver (lord czar rocker xwing); what do you use each ski for?

Lord: Groomer days, Park days,
    Czar: Every BC day in North America (sans AK), any resort day were the snow is soft, spring park days, any day I want to feel like a kid and spin and bounce off everything in sight.
    Rocker: Alaskan spines (holy fuck they're heaven on an AK spine), deep deep days, deep variable snow days (wind crust, spring mank, etc.)
    XW-Lab: Contests, Crud days, days when i want to go really really fast

Forward mounting makes the ski more versatile in my opinion. I think you have to ski more aggressive and more attentively when skiing, because they become a little less stable and a little less "easy", but in my opinion it makes a ski so much more fun. It's a less lazy way to ski but makes for a far more versatile ski. imho.

sounds like the lord might be a good choice for a boring groomer day cruising around a bit of everything ski. on the xw-labs, where do you have them mounted? do you think they're easier or more difficult that the old ak swallowtails?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo