Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTF?! Deleted Marker Duke Explosion Thread

Why delete the thread? It's an issue for sure - especially since maggs have probably bought 50% of the friggen stock!

Dude posted a description of both of his toe pieces snapping while making powder turns.

Linked to this for reference.
    http://www.newschoolers.com/web/foru.../338014/page/2

Deleting the thread though?! LAME.

I saved page 1 out of my browser's cache if anybody wants it.

DUKES are "bomber" dude...didnt you know? THEY DONT BREAK...had to be a photoshop in that post..

M

hahahahahaha. ze truth iz being revealed! all you foolz have bought into ze hype of ze Duke. you've all made ze mistake of bypassing ze binding which setz ze standard for eurofabulosity, touring, and skiing.

ze Dynafit!

he nuked it. its his right to do so as the thread's creator.

and i can say FWIW, i have 40 days on mine and hucked the shit out of them and not broken them. and i weight 220 naked.

the newschooler's thread was because the center hole that holds the lever down was stripped and not heli-coiled, so when the screw pulled out it snapped the arm to the lever and resulting in the breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I saved page 1 out of my browser's cache if anybody wants it.
    post it up.

I'm guessing it was the OP that deleted the thread? one, if my dukes break in the same way - and they tell me that it's my fault - I'm gonna print the thread up and send it over.
    Last edited by Poop~Ghost; 01-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.

that is lame. sounds like some influential people at marker had something to do with this. marker sucks. told you so. rossi/dynastar or salomon will come out with a similar but better aggressive AT binder. just wait.

is TGR committing censorship????? must be getting some kickbacks from marker. big sponsor for next year's vid????
    Last edited by voiron; 01-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    I sleep really well after working with p-tex in the evening. But, all the next day my eyelids and the skin between my thumbs and fingers twitch alot.

Didn't a previous thread about a dead Duke in japan magically disappear a few days ago?
    Last edited by Sockerfarsan; 01-17-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    I seem to have confused my intentions with my abilities...

Google cached it

Today, 02:14 PM
    SkiED
    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2006

Marker Dukes Explosion!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I deserved this for buying a marker. I was making pow turns down a 30 degree wide open powder field when all of a sudden I am thrown into tele mode and eat shit into a stand of trees. Basically what happened was that the two center screws on each binding totally ripped out of the ski causing the toe piece to snap in half. Pretty much exactly what happened to this dude:

http://www.newschoolers.com/web/foru...338014/page/2/

Since the binding is basically a system binding which allows the toe and heel pieces to flex and slide along the rails of the toe and heel plates the binding is basically held down to the ski by the one center screw. So when I went to make a hard powder turn and my ski flexed all that force loaded up on that one center screw and surprise surprise it ripped out.

I called marker and of course this isnt their fault, they either blame the mount job or the ski(black diamonds). So what I am wondering is how many other people have had this issue with the center screw? Its obviously the weak point in the binding and if anything breaks I would think it would be this one small screw trying to hold the whole binding onto the ski. So ya anyone else with marker dukes broken like me or the guy above?? I would love to hear some more info on them. thanks

SkiED
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by SkiED

Today, 02:24 PM
    grskier
    Um, yeah, that guy Join Date: Jan 2006

pics?

I've had some decent flex going on with a Duke and haven't had an issue yet....

grskier
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by grskier

Today, 02:29 PM
    Jer
    Call it, friendo Join Date: Jun 2006

Here come the bugs!

1st generation is almost always trouble.

Jer
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Jer

Today, 02:30 PM
    Greydon Clark
    Stoner Witch Join Date: Dec 2003

The thread on NewSchoolers is predictably retarded; I especially enjoy the fellow who cites all the “big mountain rippers” on Markers and in the next breath is spewing that “if you jump you’ll break things”. Classic.

I have not insight into your problem, but best of luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Greydon Clark : Today at 05:22 PM.

Greydon Clark
    View Public Profile
    Visit Greydon Clark's homepage!
    Find all posts by Greydon Clark

Today, 02:38 PM
    DropCliffsNotBombs
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2007

I hate to say "I told you so," but....
    I would say that it wasn't my fault too, if I hadn't tested the product, and was sold out of replacement bindings for warranty replacements! Way to go Marker!

Everyone seemed to think (at the beginning of the season) that this new untested and poorly designed AT binding was the best thing since sliced bread! Turns out it's just an expensive, heavy, un-user friendly, over DINed, gaper magnet!!

Last edited by DropCliffsNotBombs : Today at 02:40 PM.

DropCliffsNotBombs
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by DropCliffsNotBombs

Today, 02:55 PM
    Dynafit
    Eurofabulous Join Date: Dec 2007

silly, silly amerikans. dis is vat youz gets for buying dis piece of chit binding. all metal, de dynafit, sanctionedz by ze likes of lou dawson, pechelman, and jonathan s. dis is the binding for you!

Dynafit
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Dynafit

Today, 03:00 PM
    StroupSkier
    Living on the least coast Join Date: Dec 2004

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs
    I hate to say "I told you so," but....
    I would say that it wasn't my fault too, if I hadn't tested the product, and was sold out of replacement bindings for warranty replacements! Way to go Marker!

Everyone seemed to think (at the beginning of the season) that this new untested and poorly designed AT binding was the best thing since sliced bread! Turns out it's just an expensive, heavy, un-user friendly, over DINed, gaper magnet!!

Funny...

You have done nothing but bash the Duke since it came out and most of your post offer no insight into why other than "They suck".

Also, you have put false claims into the fact that Marker sold out everything and has no bindings left for warranty and admitted at one point to having not even tested them yet.

Go back to your hole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

StroupSkier
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by StroupSkier

Today, 03:14 PM
    Poop*Ghost
    TradBoy - Skier Join Date: Dec 2005

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SkiED
    Basically what happened was that the two center screws on each binding totally ripped out of the ski causing the toe piece to snap in half.

on BOTH skis at the same time!!!??? holy shit. I'm officially pissed at myself that I'm on dukes. I was feeling some trepidation about it after seeing the touring issue that pulled the binding off the ski... but this is stupid.

both skis snapped the toe attatchment piece? that's crazy.

I'm definitely not feeling inspired to take these out very far from the road.

... I guess the one upshot is that I'm on praxis which don't really flex. hopefully they'll last for me.

Last edited by Poop*Ghost : Today at 03:16 PM.

Poop*Ghost
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Poop*Ghost

Today, 03:17 PM
    snoboy
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2005

So... we seem to have identified the weak point on the Duke. Any ideas on how to beef it up, or is this going to require some redesign? If I understand correctly what's breaking, it shouldn't be too hard for Marker to make that piece a bit burlier/add another screw to it.

snoboy
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by snoboy

Today, 03:22 PM
    Conundrum
    Registered User Join Date: Oct 2005

I think people are a little quick to judge here. If everyone posted everytime a binding broke, the mayor of tech talk would have to come in here and kick some ass. 916s, p18s, Markers, every type of bindings has instances of failure. I've got some days on my dukes now with some decent skiing on them and haven't had a problem yet. I'm pretty heavy and have them on some burley skis. I won't say much about my skiing level because it's all relative.

Am I going to be pissed if they break, yes. Would I be more pissed than if any of my other bindings broke, no.

Just to understand your situation though, are the dukes broken or did they pull out of the skis and are still intact?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samthaman
    it was a huge rush to stomp something that big to flat this early in the season.

Conundrum
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Conundrum

Today, 03:32 PM
    axelkeitz
    suugaaa Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I think people are a little quick to judge here. If everyone posted everytime a binding broke, the mayor of tech talk would have to come in here and kick some ass. 916s, p18s, Markers, every type of bindings has instances of failure. I've got some days on my dukes now with some decent skiing on them and haven't had a problem yet. I'm pretty heavy and have them on some burley skis. I won't say much about my skiing level because it's all relative.

Am I going to be pissed if they break, yes. Would I be more pissed than if any of my other bindings broke, no.

Just to understand your situation though, are the dukes broken or did they pull out of the skis and are still intact?

Yea come on now!! JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS! theres other variables to take into consideration here. the ski maybe, Mount job..... the list goes on

axelkeitz
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by axelkeitz
    . . .

Google cache part 2

Today, 03:33 PM
    pechelman
    moo Join Date: Feb 2006

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I

my question too

my initial thought here is that marker made the duke \ ski interface too longitudinally stiff.

need pics and answers though before ill say anything more.

are you able to differentiate between the binding breaking first and then pulling out or vice versa?
    more details and objectivity, less spewing and conjecture.

edit
    going to fondle a pair tonight hopefully
    never given them much attention in all honesty

Last edited by pechelman : Today at 03:36 PM.

pechelman
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by pechelman

Today, 03:55 PM
    mc_roon
    Hail, Skroob! Join Date: Feb 2006

i did the exact same thing as the NS guy and SkiED. On a weak front flip off a two foot high log, landed tail first in deep(and i mean deep) light pow and suddenly one of my dukes was in touring mode and wouldnt go back...

my story has a happier ending; marker replaced them at no cost to me, 2nd day air both ways; less then a week from when i sent them back until i got replacements.

that center screw is the issue. Im going ghetto and making my own mod. Im going to grind out a little below the center screw[in the plastic] and place a piece of aluminum the size of a stick of gum at a 90degree angle under it with a screw at each end(sorta like an upside-down T). So instead of one screw holding the touring mechanism together, it should have three. And all three of those screws are getting epoxy.

marker absolutely held back dukes for warranty; but they have none left for retail sale. You might have to insist this point to a shop, i was first told i would get them back in the summer, and after a 30 second phone call to marker it was less then a week.
    -i know thelonious, for three years now. we have a deep bond. he is no ordinary hawk. the kid has street smarts. he's a born and bred killer. and when he's done hunting and killing whatever it is that he feels like, he'll proceed to regurgitate it down the throat of any one of you haters. or all of you. at once. his omnipotence is that omnipotant.

-Basom

Last edited by mc_roon : Today at 04:00 PM.

mc_roon
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by mc_roon

Today, 04:22 PM
    Buggyguru
    Creative Powder Skier Join Date: Nov 2007

My Dukes are still intact after 4 fairly good days. I'm light and I usually don't land backwards unless by accident. I did land a few 10 - 12 footers (nice and smooth mind you) and the bindings didn't seem to have any trouble.

All I can say is that my Katanas will look kinda funny with a filled hole in between where my old px14s are mounted after the dukes finally blow out.

Buggyguru
    View Public Profile
    Visit Buggyguru's homepage!
    Find all posts by Buggyguru

Today, 04:42 PM
    ZomblibulaX
    Molly Ringwald Fan Join Date: Oct 2007

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoboy
    Any ideas on how to beef it up, or is this going to require some redesign?

I've got dukes on bd's, and they've been holding up great, but I think I'm going to try to put a thin metal plate between the rear-most toe screws and the center screw to prevent this from happening. When I get around to it, I will certainly post pics.

ZomblibulaX
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by ZomblibulaX

Today, 04:58 PM
    Core Shot
    <<== Captain Bacon & Coke Join Date: Mar 2005

OUCH.

Someone stop me before I drill me Lotus 120 for Dukes.

Core Shot
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by Core Shot

Today, 05:02 PM
    schindlerpiste
    Quatsch! Join Date: Sep 2005

You are the 5th or 6th person who I know of that has had big-time issues with the Duke. For the $, I would rather have NX21 + G3 (or other) skins.

schindlerpiste
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by schindlerpiste

Today, 05:03 PM
    schindlerpiste
    Quatsch! Join Date: Sep 2005

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Core Shot
    OUCH.

Someone stop me before I drill me Lotus 120 for Dukes.

Stop...and trade me the Lotus 120s for new Gotamas!

schindlerpiste
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by schindlerpiste

Today, 05:21 PM
    HausDiesel
    Registered User Join Date: Nov 2007

another issue...

I don't feel my problem warrents another duke thread, so I will add it to this one...

After one day of skiing my wailer 105s at kirkwood there appears to be a slight click when I rock (torque with my hands, axis is down the ski, so I am flexing the bottom of the ski and base plate against the top heel place) the heel back and forth. It appears that some slop has appeared where the heel slides into the base plate. Any suggestions?

HausDiesel
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by HausDiesel

Today, 05:43 PM
    ZomblibulaX
    Molly Ringwald Fan Join Date: Oct 2007

Check your screws- make sure your heel plate is flush with the top of the ski.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by voiron View Post
    that is lame. sounds like some influential people at marker had something to do with this.
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion...

Quote Originally Posted by voiron View Post
    marker sucks. told you so. rossi/dynastar or salomon will come out with a similar but better aggressive AT binder. just wait.
    right, I'll wait to tour until then.

Jeseu man that is kinda fucked up y delete? this place is for info man . thats all that thread is!

so if people want to minimize the chance of a 'screw-up' (oy..), what should they do when mounting? heli-coil? epoxy?

Maybe all the Dukes channeled their explosive power to that thread therefore exploding it as well.

I hope Marker held back some warranty threads in case that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I doubt TGR would censor that kind of information.

I would NOT doubt that Marker would offer $$$ to the thread starter to remove the information. Only their market savvyness has kept them in business so well over theirs
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

hasn't that OP done douchey things before?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have dukes and have not had problems so far. However, last week I was skiing with a buddy who did a front flip of a 20 footer and the center screw ripped out of one ski and the binding came off then on the treck out on one ski, the other one popped out. Made me nervous.

Pictures sts9andski? would like to nip this issue in the bud either by helicoiling this screw or creating an easy to reproduce fix like mentioned above (aluminum plate).

Maybe that's why Dukes are so frickin' expensive. They need to charge double just to break even with the warranty issues. No one gets it right the first time around on a new design. Bound to be issues. In a few years Marker should have version 3.0 or something that is close to bomberproof, or no one will buy 'em.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    hasn't that OP done douchey things before?
    Yup, SkiEd has a long history of douchebaggery around here. Most of his threads are in gear swap but I distinctly remember a flame war in which he viciously and repeatedly insulted a certain well liked maggette in a manner that made me write him off as a human being. I forget what it was about but IIRC it was pretty much unprovoked. Posts are now deleted.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 01-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I had a duke this morning that exploded.

It was really nasty.

I got up, expecting nothing but smooth tracks, but instead kaboom!

it went all over the inside of my toilet

I really should have helicoiled that butt plug.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i weigh 220 naked.
    No pics, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockerfarsan View Post
    Didn't a previous thread about a dead Duke in japan magically disappear a few days ago?
    That was my thread. I posted it for warranty contact from marker. Squaretail helped me out and Marker warrantied them on the spot. No one asked me to delete it, I just did because negative press would've hurt my situation and there was no real information cvaluable to the masses on there, it was just a contact request and a question on the problem. I wasn't trying to blackmail Marker, just get answers. IMO the binding has issues, but I've only had one AT binding last more than 15 days, and that one lasted 40 days. I would change several things on the binding, but it's better than the other systems out there (with the exception of the alpine trekker) and it's a necessary evil if we want other manufacturers to join the market (ie. Solly and rossi).
    Last edited by addict; 01-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.

OMG OMG the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if anyone wants to get these death traps off of their skis, I'll buy a pair or two in medium....

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    OMG OMG the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if anyone wants to get these death traps off of their skis, I'll buy a pair or two in medium....
    Large or small dynajong
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno