Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another Lost Marker Duke Thread!

Yesterday while choking on faceshots in Four Pines, my Dukes released for pretty much no reason. This has happened several times in the past few days...

I had them set at 11 because its early season- but regardless they shouldn't come off at 11 for no reason. I searched around for the ski with Robokill for a while to no avail...It was so good that I wasn't going to waste my day looking. I skied back down to the village on one ski (painful), went home, grabbed the praxis and got in another great run out there.

The ski is still gone. Last Years EHP's (190's) with the Duke. If anyone comes across it, let me know- the reward will include lots of booze. It probably is there to stay till summer, as it has already snowed a bunch since, and is supposed to keep up this week. But I figure there's a small chance....

ouch - you've lost more $$'s worth of equipment than I own

Get a couple of your bud's and go ski the same line a few times. Someone will find it!

You need to enroll with 0BernhardFranz and realize the power and value of the "Words from the wise ... bindings most important keep low ..."

The technique seems to work wonders and saves the knees. Soon there will hardly be any need for binders...

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Get a couple of your bud's and go ski the same line a few times. Someone will find it!
    at least disclose which exposure/line/elevation, etc of Four Pines - you might encourage someone to either take that line and/or keep an eye out for a loose ski.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    at least disclose which exposure/line/elevation, etc of Four Pines - you might encourage someone to either take that line and/or keep an eye out for a loose ski.
    You're right- I just moved to Jackson this winter so my familiarity with the area isn't amazing. As best as I can describe it right now: Skiers right side of Four Pines, about 700 vert below the top of it.

Anyone have a good map of the area? I've searched around here and on google- hasn't turned much up.

Are the Dukes failing or is the forward pressure not adjusted or??
    Hello darkness my old friend

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Metal detector

Powder ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Powder ribbons
    day glo....
    Stood upon a mountaintop.
    Walked barefoot in the Snow.

One more reason to bring back ski straps. I honestly don't understand why they ever stopped getting used for pow - it's not like the ski's gonna bounce off of the surface like a groomer and hit you in the noggin' - and we're all wearing helmets now anyway.

I say bring back the strap.

Marker Dukes Guest
    Da Dukes don't come off brah.... 16 DIN mang.... 16 DIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    One more reason to bring back ski straps. I honestly don't understand why they ever stopped getting used for pow - it's not like the ski's gonna bounce off of the surface like a groomer and hit you in the noggin' - and we're all wearing helmets now anyway.

I say bring back the strap.
    Yeah. But Tip, then ther'll be a bunch of threads about missing arms and other body parts that didn't have flagging tape tied to them. And just think how stinky those thing'll be in the spring/summer when they go back to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Are the Dukes failing or is the forward pressure not adjusted or??
    i'm guessing it is the boot not being in the binding properly. tolerances are pretty tight and it would be easy to have some compacted snow keep the binding from engaging. instead of the top of the heel lug being covered by the binding, it might be behind instead. This is the most likely cause of "walk-out" that I can guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro-Squatch View Post
    i'm guessing it is the boot not being in the binding properly. tolerances are pretty tight and it would be easy to have some compacted snow keep the binding from engaging. instead of the top of the heel lug being covered by the binding, it might be behind instead. This is the most likely cause of "walk-out" that I can guess.
    I have definitely noticed this when trying to click the boot into the binding without it being on my foot. Seems like a likely issue... When you click in, make sure you are IN.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Marker Dukes Guest
    Don't use powder cords with me you pussies. FKN Dukes have a 16 DIN. Crank me up, or get the fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    I have definitely noticed this when trying to click the boot into the binding without it being on my foot. Seems like a likely issue... When you click in, make sure you are IN.
    What the hell are you doing skiing a hi din binding? Last I heard you frequently managed to beater, and having a binding of that spec is likely to cause an ACL rip faster that anything else.
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Quote Originally Posted by patrickski View Post
    You're right- I just moved to Jackson this winter so my familiarity with the area isn't amazing. As best as I can describe it right now: Skiers right side of Four Pines, about 700 vert below the top of it.

Anyone have a good map of the area? I've searched around here and on google- hasn't turned much up.
    I'll likely be out in the area tomorrow with my eyes peeled. How was the loading on those slopes today? See any activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro-Squatch View Post
    This is possible considering the release was in a zone that requires a bit of hiking before clicking into the ski. But...I've been really careful with removing snow and making sure I'm in the binding cleanly on the Dukes.

It's kind of frustrating, and I'm headed to Colorado for a few days (leaving tomorrow) so chances of me finding the ski when I get back aren't great.

On the bright side, I have some Praxis with 977's that are a great time. Looks like I may just be skiing those even when its hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I'll likely be out in the area tomorrow with my eyes peeled. How was the loading on those slopes today? See any activity?
    Don't think he is out today.... but we did get some sick turns on the right side of glory around 8 this morning, sooo so deep... (didn't see any activity)

Oh and patrick is so extreme it is no wonder his ski ran away from him... (it was scared)
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Pat - One of the 'troller dogs used to have good luck finding skis. Go visit the locker room with a case of beer and see if anyone is willing to help you out.

it's astounding the amount of surprise people are having that a marker binder is pre-releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I appreciate it...

There were definitely some strong winds with the storm yesterday, although the loading didn't seem that bad today (at least where I was anyways)

Digging around for the skis gave me a good look at the snowpack, and there was a lot of faceting down low, with that rain crust on top of the facets, and then recent snow on top of that. Haven't seen any natural or triggered activity, but i wouldn't have been surprised if I had- especially in loaded areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post
    Metal detector
    Sounds dumb...but it works. A buddy of mine lost a ski a few years back and found it in under 2 minutes with a metal detector. Worth a shot.
    [This Space For Rent]