Silverton, 11/30-12/2, pics and all!!

With the impending storm and the possibility of free skiing for bootpacking, we packed up and left LeadVegas around 10am Friday morning. We were under thick cloud cover the whole drive, which turned to rain around Ouray and over Red Mtn Pass. It was snowing in Silverton, super wet, sloppy snow. We drove up to the ski area to set up camp just past the parking lot. By 8 pm it was raging full force, and we were getting soaked by the barely frozen slush coming from the sky, so we hit the sack early.

The storm begins, Friday afternoon.

Mmmmm, snow. Friday night.

Saturday was a crazy day. No pics were taken, due to the complete white out. A buddy and I had slept in a tent while one more friend slept in the car. Well the ski patrol showed up in the morning, and since the mountain wasn't going to open, had some time on their hands. They thought we were all sleeping in the car and were stuck under the 3 feet of snow, so 8-10 workers came and dug it out. By the time they yelled at me and woke me up to get the keys, it was completely free from the snow. We were informed that the roads were closing and we needed to go down into town. The Silverton Mountain crew drove off hooting and hollering, stoked for powder even with no lift to ride.

In town there was less snow, but it was even wetter. We drove around town enjoying the unplowed roads. Even got some turns at Kendall Mountain, the best kept secret in CO. If you ever come down to Silverton, just skip the Mountain. Its overrated. Stick to Kendall, and you won't be disapointed! We did manage to dig a pit, and it was very unstable. 2-3 feet of wet heavy snow on top of a couple inches of facets and hoar. One test block sheered off while it was being cut, and the other failed after 4 taps from the wrist.

After checking in at the Triangle, we spread out all our soaked gear and relaxed, stoked for the lift to open the next day.

Well, as you all know by now, we woke up to the news that the mountain was again closed. As we gathered our goods into my car, we could see the storm clearing around town and the deep-blue sky peeking out from behind 48 hours of clouds. We were suddenly aware of how well covered EVERYTHING was. It was inevitable: we were going for a hike!

While in the lot scoping lines, Jen Brill happened to walk up. She had recognized us from the lot. She said she felt bad we couldn't ski and that she was going to give us our comp day (for bootpacking) just for showing up and being ready to help! So there's definitnly one more trip planned for the winter...

We decided to head into the Minihana Basin at the end of 110 past the ski area. We had heard rumors of good tree skiing, and with the stability what it was, that sounded perfect!

Looking down Main Street as the storm clears, 12/2

Looking over town

By the afternoon when we drove down, the lift line had beautiful tracks down the looker's left side. Jen said the patrol had to skin up to do their work!!!

We had met up with three other guys in two cars at the hotel (If you guys are out there, say hi!!), and our group were the first ones at the trailhead. Three of us skinned up in front, with three bootpackers behind. Can someone say 'posthole'? By our second lap, over 20 people and multiple sleds had come up the road and it was a piece of cake to hike. The snow in the trees was just like expected: 3 feet of thick, wet, insta-base snow, with 12-18 inches of fluff on top. Face shots didn't come easy, but happened occasionally. The base was legit, and I even hucked a 12 footer on my first lap with a perfect landing. It should be noted that we heard many, many whumping sounds; while walking around above treeline, and while skiing. I saw only two natural slides from the summit, both of which were very short. But the snowpack is very fragile right now. BE SAFE!!!!

We only got pics of the second lap, too excited to get any of the first.

Looking out at the bc north of the ski area, ready to go!

A clean slate...

Not for long. Yours truly, loving life.

Here's to the aesthetic side of our sport.

Ohio Matt (a fellow maggot), milkin it!

We left with smiles on our faces which I am still wearing as I type this. A trip like this was just what I needed. Goddamn, doesn't winter feel good again!!!!!! I hope everyone out there made the most of this storm and got their fix. Its still good mostly everywhere in our state, so get out there and reap what you can sow! But be very cautious while you do it. Its a sketchy snowpack out there, and will stay that way well into the coming months. This season has, and will continue to test us all. Make sure you're on top of your game when it comes to prevention and keep watching CAIC!!!

Play safely and we can all keep playing tomorrow!

Enjoy the white gold.

View from the top of Red Mtn Pass. Sunday evening.

Driving north into Ouray, on the uncomparable Million Dollar Hwy.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Dude! You should have stayed one more day! It was SICK today.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Very sweet. Glad to see you guys got some good turns despite the lack of lifts and unstable snow. Good work staying safe!

Summit: very, VERY stoked to hear it. Glad you guys got what you were looking for.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

I didn't hear about today until I got on my computer last night in leadville!

Was it the trees only, or did they manage to get anything else open? From across the valley, it looked like that place could be open 90-100%, avy conditions permitting!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Dolores -> Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That looked fun but this weekend has potential if they can get some of the higher stuff open.

Those look like some tasty turns!!!

very nice!

the goods.

^^Were you able to find some of those in the canyon this weekend?
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    the goods.
    by 'the goods', I assume you mean tail gunning, dropping a shoulder, and about to eat shit?

sorry I couldn't help it

Nice to see Silverton filling in though, and props for sticking it out for some turns.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    by 'the goods', I assume you mean tail gunning, dropping a shoulder, and about to eat shit?

sorry I couldn't help it

Nice to see Silverton filling in though, and props for sticking it out for some turns.

psia called: they want their pool boy back. seriously though, particle, their towels are fucking wet and their drinks are low. you got some work to do, including spf 50 on the backs of many men.

skiing was good to very good. nice to get some legit turns for once!
    Live To Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by AfroMullet View Post
    psia called: they want their pool boy back. seriously though, particle, their towels are fucking wet and their drinks are low. you got some work to do, including spf 50 on the backs of many men.

skiing was good to very good. nice to get some legit turns for once!
    I am a pot, and I have every right to call the kettle black goddammit!

I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.