Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking to buy a new backpack...what fits on the lift?

Looking for a pack that will fit an extra layer, a lunch, water, etc and can carry ski's for short hikes just out of bounds.... not necessarily an all day pack. one big issue is that it fits on the lift comfortably too.

leaning towards the dakine helipro, just torn between the 660cu inches or the 1200cu inches... any feedback appreciated

Osprey stratos 24 or switch 26, expensive but very functional and durable...Plus they the coolest looking backpacks out there.

660 cu. in. is nothing. Get the big one, otherwise you might have trouble fitting in a shovel/probe, food, hydration bladder, etc. The Opsprey packs are great, but obviously very expensive. Your best bet is probably to wait on the helipro until it comes up on SAC or BCoutlet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

got a heli off sac and it looks very promising...

My mountainsmith transitboard pack for sale on ebay fits on the lift well. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mountainsmith-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a life link granite for side country, it's pretty sweet and low-pro:

Wookey Shovel Pack

Perfect for what you want; low pro, small volume, sweet vertical ski carrying system, has spot for shovel handle, blade, and probe on the outside, rides high so you don't have to take it off to get on the chair, hydration compatible. BOMBER construction, made in Bozeman MT, I've got 8 hard years on mine and other than dirty its like brand new.

http://www.wookey.net/index2.html

god i hate the wookey shovel packs. too many straps, uncomfortable fit (for me) i really dislike the high riding pack. but i am also one of those long torso guys, or i guess short legs, however you want to say it.

big fan of the life link boundary though.

the flat pack works well on lifts, diagonal carry.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Isn't Wookey Dead?

Flat packs suck for carrying stuff. By a pack big enough to carry shit then... take it off!
    Elvis has left the building

http://deuterusa.com/products/alpine.php

Full line of winter packs here. The sport series stuff on the bottom is what you're looking for.

Go with this:

http://www.rcpower.com/bond_pack_ski.html

Bomber construction, made in N. America, solid company behind it. Mine's been fine for seven or eight years now (not quite the same model, not exactly sure what's different now).
    [quote][//quote]

If you don't need a ski/snowboard carry option try the Dakine Tram

825 ci(13L) has a dedicated shovel/probe pocket, and holds a 100 oz bladder

I use mine for doing BC laps out of my car, but I've used it inbounds with no problems
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

This is my vote, I have a larger one and its great

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Silo-18

Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Isn't Wookey Dead?

Flat packs suck for carrying stuff. Buy a pack big enough to carry shit then... take it off!
    Agreed, but for places like Bridger Bowl I really dig my flat pack - shovel, probe, some water, and a place to strap my skis on is all I realy need in a pack, and when it's ass cold out I'm pretty happy not fumbling with buckles, etc. when getting on the lift.

Just a side note, since you are concerned with it being low profile for the lift .I've had my pack hang up before when getting off the lift and will never ride the lift with it on my back again .Kind of scary depending on the terrain at the end of the lift...happened to me on 7th heaven @ Stevens and the thought of me going around the bull wheel and face first down that face was enough to stop wearing it
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Just a side note, since you are concerned with it being low profile for the lift .I've had my pack hang up before when getting off the lift and will never ride the lift with it on my back again .Kind of scary depending on the terrain at the end of the lift...happened to me on 7th heaven @ Stevens and the thought of me going around the bull wheel and face first down that face was enough to stop wearing it
    ive ridden with a pack on for years and that has happened to me twice. once i left a buckle undone and it got hung up. the other time i was in BC and they made me take the pack off. i had it looped over one shoulder when i got off the lift and the waist belt got hung up and pulled the pack off my shoulder.

keep your buckles buckled and all your straps tidy and it wont be a problem.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

My Mountainsmith is a great overnight pack... when we're visiting the in-laws. I used it for about a month of skiing before I replaced it w/ a Black Diamond Frenzy (which I love...but it's been discontinued)

There's just too much shit going on w/ the mountainsmith, and I could never get it to fit quite right. I was always adjusting it.

The black diamond is awesome. No shifting, fits great. Very low-profile and easy to tuck everything out of the way for lift riding. Easy to get to all of my shit right away. The internal frame makes a very large difference for me. I don't see anything too similar in BD's current lineup....

http://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/452088096.html

You might want to consider an Ortovox Top rider. Fits what you need for lift served, and has a built in back-protector. And i've found it to be rediculusly durable, used it for 3 full seasons and it still holds together nicely.

Edit: forgot to mention, it also sits very tight on your back (kind of like a backprotector). And is built in a fashion that puts the centre of gravity as low as possible instead of at shoulder height.
    Last edited by FFsup; 11-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    ive ridden with a pack on for years and that has happened to me twice. once i left a buckle undone and it got hung up. the other time i was in BC and they made me take the pack off. i had it looped over one shoulder when i got off the lift and the waist belt got hung up and pulled the pack off my shoulder.

keep your buckles buckled and all your straps tidy and it wont be a problem.

Dude, talk about the lifties in BC being anal about taking your backpack pack off, fuck. We were at Red Mtn 2 winters ago, the wife and I pull up to load the lift. The guy tells my wife to remove her pack and in her typical way pretty much tells him to pound sand. He got all bent out of shape and stopped the lift (and it was fairly busy) and told her she would take it off or not ride the lift.........she took it off.

btw - I too got rocked by the untidy backpack straps at Bridger. I purtnear rode the bullwheel as I tried to fall forward to escape the hung up pack. That was on the VC chair, yeah I felt like a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by FFsup View Post
    You might want to consider an Ortovox Top rider. Fits what you need for lift served, and has a built in back-protector. And i've found it to be rediculusly durable, used it for 3 full seasons and it still holds together nicely.

Edit: forgot to mention, it also sits very tight on your back (kind of like a backprotector). And is built in a fashion that puts the centre of gravity as low as possible instead of at shoulder height.
    Great pack... Not in production though... Replacement model is called FreeRider 24 or 26.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I use a Dakine Vertex. Works great for me.

fez/sfotex:

Those Life-Link packs look pretty sweet, not to mention they're made in US and are fairly affordable (under $100).

Was wondering what the hydration compatibility is....do you have to purchase your own bladder and install it?

They say "Camelback" compatible for the Boundary and "Hydration sleeve" for the Granite.

What do you guys do for this?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I have the boundary, can't beat it for lift served. I don't have to take my pack off and it is so thin you hardly notice it. Just the right size for the essentials.

The hydration sleeve is just that, a piece of nylon dividing the main compartment that fits your camelback. I have the fully insulated camelback that drops right in. I think the granite may have insulation for the tube through the shoulder strap?

Just a word of warning on the boundary, it will not fit my regular size shovel and probe. I ended up getting the mini voile shovel and use a small CF probe and they both fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by nate s View Post
    I ended up getting the mini voile shovel and use a small CF probe and they both fit well.
    Remind me that if I'm ever skiing in the b/c with you, that you go first.