Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Achilles Heel Bone Spur - Can anything be done?

I just found this site, maybe someone can help
    I have a bone spur on my achilles heel. It does'nt bother me to walk or bike or even run temporarilly. But if I do any constent running on it. It gets sore. So I have given up on running and off-road triatholons. It has been three years since I have been diagnosed with a bonespur from my foot Dr. The first time I saw my foot Dr. he suspected a bonespur but had me go to physical therapy. My heal got better and I started training again. Then I got a stick shift vehicle and my heal started to hurt from using the clutch. I went back to the foot Dr. he took x-rays and etc. and confirmed I have a bonespur. He said he could do surgury but said it would be a long healing process. Since It only bothers me when I run a lot, it isn't worth doing surgery. I use orthodics, I have run across those calcium suppliments -What ever I tried didn't work. Is there any thing I can do to start running again?
    ~Ned

Dude I feel your pain, there isn't much you CAN do but wear sandals whenever you're not working out or skiing. They go down a "little" in the off season, but surgery is 50/50. Sometimes it gets worse afterwards. You'd be in a walking cast for 6 weeks, and there's a high chance of infection.

Mine look like this.

I just uhhh, make deal with them, and make sure you get properly fitted boots. Get your physio to try laser or ultrasound, it helps reduce 10-15% but then I find mine just flare up again when I start to ski.

I've had 8 knee surgeries, so my alignment and other factors contributed to this, along with ridiculous plug boots that are way too small.

I've got the same ones and have gotten them under control.

First, get bigger running shoes to relieve heel pressure.

Take ibuprofen or naproxen prophylactically to minimize inflammation.

Use antifriction powder in your socks whenever running or skiing, or whenever it bugs you.

Enlarge the heel pocket in your ski boots and make sure there are no creases or seams that interfere. this can probably be accomplished by cutting away the outer layer of the liner. If you've got thermoflex you can probably get away with padding the problem areas profusely and refiring your liners. You can cut them too though, if necesary. In my thermoflex's the inner liner had worn through and balled up so I used an exacto knife ot cut it away and them smeared the open cell foam with anti friction powder until it was smooth.

Ice and elevate after your problem activities and wear no-heel shoes like clogs or flips as much as possible during the acute phase.

You can also apply some sort of arnica based topical (I use a product called "Traumeel") to reduce inflammation and promote healing.

You may have to take some time off and let things settle down a bit too.

I had really chronic problems with this from being in ski boots 9+ hours a day for 120+ days/season as a patroller. By following the above regimen I was able to completely control the problem and my heels have shrunk considerably since.

Good luck.

edit: Now make with the naked pictures of your girlfriend JONG.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 09-05-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

It is on the back of my heel. Basically my achilles tendon rubs on it and it gets irritated - I think that is what happens anyways? Currently it doesn't bother me because I quit running. I use to enjoy off-road triatholons, but since I can't run I am not doing any triatholons and the intensity to train for biking has slacked off as a result I haven't been biking either. Another reason why my recreation activity has diminished is that I started a new business so all my efforts are going there. My job is somewhat labor intessive I wear hiking boots with orthodics when I work and my heel feels fine. It just seems to bother me when I run. I have tried running every once and a while to see if the problem is still there. After I run I always get the familiar irritation in my heel. I have to admit I haven't tried a new style of shoes. The Asics Keyonos (sp?) in the past solved previous foot problems so I figured that wasn't that wasn't the problem. After researching it more I will try different shoes, icing after each run, profolactive anti inflamitorys, stretching and strengthening excercises, and the "Low Dye Strap." Is there anything else that will help? I know it is important to be positive but it is hard to believe anything will work when the foot Dr. says there is nothing I can do except surgery - (he doesn't recomend it and I am not willing to risk worse damage), and I haven't really heard of any similar success stories. Thanks for the input
    ~Ned

donut pad around the spur to remove some of the pressure from the shoes?
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I had a similar problem and got so frustrated with ski boots that I turned to surgery to remove the spur.

Not a good idea. I had the surgery over a year ago and am still recovering. However the good news is that I don't have pain when I ski. Just the rest of the time.

Natural Heel Spur Help

Many people have been able to rid heel spurs without surgery- but naturally. You might want to visit the bone spur natural help website to read testimonials from people who have successfully rid heel spurs. You can also request free information on heel spurs.

I'm having surgery on my bone spur in the heel

I saw the pics of your heels, OUCH!!!!!! Mine isn't that big a little smaller then your right heel and it hurts so much to walk half the time and that's what I do on my job. My job consist of a lot of walking on cement floors and boy does it kill me by the end of the day. I have dealt with this for two years had the therapy, did the cortizone shots, special shoes and nothing seem to work. I have been to my Primary Care DR. to a Podiatrist, then to a Orthopedic Surgeon that now has me schedule for surgery on the 28th of this month. I have read some of the post and now I wonder am I doing the right thing? I know I can't handle the pain anymore I can't even just up and wear heals or or anykind of dress shoe because the heel. Please help me feel like I am doing the right thing......

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Dude I feel your pain, there isn't much you CAN do but wear sandals whenever you're not working out or skiing. They go down a "little" in the off season, but surgery is 50/50. Sometimes it gets worse afterwards. You'd be in a walking cast for 6 weeks, and there's a high chance of infection.

Mine look like this.

I just uhhh, make deal with them, and make sure you get properly fitted boots. Get your physio to try laser or ultrasound, it helps reduce 10-15% but then I find mine just flare up again when I start to ski.

I've had 8 knee surgeries, so my alignment and other factors contributed to this, along with ridiculous plug boots that are way too small.
    Holy Jesus!
    The one on your left foot is impressive.
    I've had bone spurrs on my achilles for as long as I can remember but I've never had any issues whatso ever. The likes to blister in hiking boots, but I can't imagine dealing with pain they might cause.

Reply to #10

I have tried everything you mentioned, I have to wear steel toed boots and they were specially ordered by the doctor, can remember name off hand but they cost me $160.00 each time I have to get a new pair. I don't know how you deal with yours my bump is about as big as the one on your right heel I couldn't imagine it as big as the one on your left.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 28th of this month I guess all I can hope is that the surgery goes well and there is no infections or anything. thanks for your comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    donut pad around the spur to remove some of the pressure from the shoes?
    That's quite a nub, GoNads. Have you heard of wobenzyme as an antinflammatory? I was given a bunch pre-surgery, read some of the specs, but have no way of knowing if it did anything. I've eaten 700 tablets now.

A donut on the outside of a boot liner would work well to provide some space and cush. I stuck a stick-on cuff layer on my liners, cut an ankle hole, and got a ton of relief for my ankle bone where shell blowouts weren't working all that well.
    But that's ski boots...

Those steel toe boots custom made Whites from Spokane?

i've got a heel spur on the back of my right heel that developed this past january, or at the very least that's when i noticed it. i'm doing a nols semester this summer, so i'll be doing a ton of hiking. i just got a new pair of boots so i've started wearing them around and today i noticed that the bone spur was starting to get aggravated by the boots. is this primarily because the boots haven't been broken in yet? i do plan on getting some new footbeds, would some superfeet insoles hold up or would something like a-lines be a better option? i'd rather not spend a ton of money on footbeds.

I am scheduled for surgery the 14th of April (about a week). hopefully I'll be good to go for guiding season starting mid-June!

Anyone have more information on recovery time... back to full activity?

I had plantar Fascitis for a couple of years and a strained achilles just befoire that

I don't know if it pertains in any way to heal spurs but I got flat feet , orthotics and getting my stride analysed with a recommendation for a motion control runner has made the difference ... I ended up as a forefoot striker and having no more heel issues
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-07-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Had surgery yesterday. I had an MRI a couple weeks ago which showed minimal achilles tendon involvement (a good thing). I did not have severe pain all the time before the surgery, and I agonized over the descision for two weeks before I decided to go under the knife. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it was worth it!

The thing about haglunds deformities is that it will be much more painful and involved if your achilles is attached. Go get an MRI. I told the surgeon that if he had to leave a little bit of the bump there to avoid partially detaching the tendon it would be ok. He said he left about 30% of the bump... so I'll still have a prominance but hopefully it will avoid further achilles involvement in the future.

I hope this was worth it, because I'm pissed that I have to miss spring skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaGirl View Post
    Had surgery yesterday. I had an MRI a couple weeks ago which showed minimal achilles tendon involvement (a good thing). I did not have severe pain all the time before the surgery, and I agonized over the descision for two weeks before I decided to go under the knife. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it was worth it!

The thing about haglunds deformities is that it will be much more painful and involved if your achilles is attached. Go get an MRI. I told the surgeon that if he had to leave a little bit of the bump there to avoid partially detaching the tendon it would be ok. He said he left about 30% of the bump... so I'll still have a prominance but hopefully it will avoid further achilles involvement in the future.

I hope this was worth it, because I'm pissed that I have to miss spring skiing.
    Good luck on this, Hopefully it was an orthopdic foot surgeron who did the work. I have seen bone spur removals take up to 8 months to heal. A lot of time they will remove the spur, but do not fix the mechanical issue that is causing it. SO in essence they have fixed the resulting problem but not issue at hand.

I've got the same thing, I used to snowboard but toeside turns put excessive pressure on my heels and basically made them grow to current size, it took me a while to put two and two together, I ended up switchig to telemarking because it doesn't pu tpressure on my heel. Sherpagirl, after a few months how is it? worth it?

Well, it's about 7 months post op now. I had the surgery on April 14th. Crutches for almost a month, walking boot until the end of May. Could not walk uphill for a long time. Two months, back in the Tetons, not really doing anything though. Two and a half months, able to walk about 2 miles on flat or moderately rolling ground. Could climb easier things with a loose rock shoe. Three months, back to guiding easier things low in the valley. In mid-August (4 months post op) I was back guiding the Grand Teton (sometimes in a day) with relatively little pain, limping a bit the day after, then back up the Hill only two days later (guided it three times in seven days, in fact).

I went on a two month climbing roadtrip this fall. I mostly wore a loose shoe on that foot, partly just because my performance shoes were blown out! By the end of the trip, I was back in a tight performance shoe with less pain from the spur than before surgery. A huge deal. Thanks to daily foot massages from the best climbing partner ever, I was climbing better than ever. I would still limp in the morning or after a long route (I still limp a bit in the morning, in fact). Skiing will be ok once I get new boots. It wasn't so happy in my current boots.

Worth it? Well... probably not. But maybe. It looks and feels significantly better than it did before surgery, and though it may come back with time, hopefully it won't for many many years.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Good luck on this, Hopefully it was an orthopdic foot surgeron who did the work. I have seen bone spur removals take up to 8 months to heal. A lot of time they will remove the spur, but do not fix the mechanical issue that is causing it. SO in essence they have fixed the resulting problem but not issue at hand.
    what in your opinion are the mechanical issues involved with haglunds??? Any ideas on therapy to reduce the size? Mine often vary in size, probably because of the bursa sac but I havn't been able to correlate its size to any activities. Thanks for the recount Sherpagirl

bone spur

i started pain on my heel when i got pregnant. Of course i was thinking its ok its part of it, but now its been 8 years later and it started to get worst. i didn't noticed it be cause the jobs i had was a sitt down job and when i started to stand for a long peroids of time i get off and i cant even walk to my restroom when i get home. Now i believe i have restless leg syndrom. i kick really bad and it hurts from my calf down to my heels. i dont know what to do.

Spur on back of heel

I had a spur on the back of my heel 7yrs ago removed and just had another removed last week on the same foot. The 1 7yrs ago was getting to be quite painful and I was seeing the dr at least 1 to 2 times a month. I was told that there really wasn't a lot that could be done but surgery. When on my job I am on my feet a lot and have 21 steps to climb several time a day and when on my feet on cement floors. I was in a cam walker several times when the pain was really bad and had choose to continue taking advil for pain and pain meds from dr and to continue to work.
    Then in Jan 03 our house caught fire and I broke the heel off at the spur getting out of the house. I choose then to do the surgery to help the break heal. The dr had to detatch the tention in order to get to the spur. I was in a cast for 6 wks nonweight bearing. Then was put into another cast for 4wks with touching the floor with my toes only. Next I went into a camwalker of which I wore for another 8 months the tention did not want to grow back. I was finally able to return to work in late Nov 03 working only 4 hrs a day going up the steps and down the steps 1 time and was doing well. I was able to return to work full time after the 1st of 04. Until the last yr and a half ago when I started to have some pain again. I did not go back to the dr until it was more and more sever I think I was afraid of what he would say. After having several xrays found out that the spur had returned and was even worse than the last. I tried meds and staying off of it and the more I was on it the more it would hurt to where I was unable to walk at all. Again I was told that surgery was the only way to go. I put the surgery off til last week and hopefully this it won't return. The dr didn't totally detatch the tention when removing the spur, he also removed extra bone and feels sure that it shouldn't return. This surgery has been much more painful than the last. The dr says this is because he did a lot more than was done the 1st time. Went back to dr's today for post op exam said it looks good. He put on a nonweight bearing cast and go back in 2wks. Will let you know how it goes for those considering surgery.

"Dude I feel your pain, there isn't much you CAN do but wear sandals whenever you're not working out or skiing. They go down a "little" in the off season, but surgery is 50/50. Sometimes it gets worse afterwards. You'd be in a walking cast for 6 weeks, and there's a high chance of infection. "

I totally agree, wear sandals whenever your not working so that your feet can rest.

---------
    Petite Sewn In Crease Pants
    Last edited by kerstinlinne; 01-17-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Hey baseballmommy, I have to make a decision about the same surgery option ... how is that going for you now?

Hello. I just started with this forum.

I had heel spurs on both of my heels. They became so large and painful, that surgery was my only option. A Dr. In Toronto's western hospital did a fantastic job. I was walking almost the next day. This was back in 2002.

Lucky me, it grew back again on my right heel, ( I'm being sarcastic here).

I have again been to an orthopedic surgeon, and we have exhausted all options for a less traumatic solution.

I'm on the waiting list again for surgery. The Dr has described his method of surgery quite a bit different than the Dr. In Toronto.

I'm not so sure about it this time. I'm told that I'll be in a cast for 2 weeks, then some sort of clamp on boot after that.

Needless to say, I'm a little nervous

J

Quote Originally Posted by Joekool View Post
    Hello. I just started with this forum.

I had heel spurs on both of my heels. They became so large and painful, that surgery was my only option. A Dr. In Toronto's western hospital did a fantastic job. I was walking almost the next day. This was back in 2002.

Lucky me, it grew back again on my right heel, ( I'm being sarcastic here).

I have again been to an orthopedic surgeon, and we have exhausted all options for a less traumatic solution.

I'm on the waiting list again for surgery. The Dr has described his method of surgery quite a bit different than the Dr. In Toronto.

I'm not so sure about it this time. I'm told that I'll be in a cast for 2 weeks, then some sort of clamp on boot after that.

Needless to say, I'm a little nervous

J
    Don't be nervous. Just visit achilles heel treatment
    You will definitely get best solution for your problem.