Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08/09 Salomon Czar

Just got a chance to ski on these. Has anyone else seen them or gotten to ride them.

The ski's are sickk. They are replacing the gun's I think with these ones. I think they are replacing all the other ski's like foil, thruster, etc with some new ski's.

The graphics are reallly nice too.

What are the dimensions and how is the flex?

GIVE US MORE THAN THAT DAMNIT!

What is the shape?
    How much Rocker?
    Tip and Tail?
    What length?
    Flex?
    ETC ETC...

Some of us are foaming at the mouth for next year's run of progressive shapes
    I.Q.=36

shit, when i head back up to the mountain iwill try to snap some pics and stuff for you guys. it won't be till this saturday so hold your breath!

the are pretty fat ski's though, i would say they ALOT softer flex than these years guns

Replacing the guns? Really? I haven't heard that, but I from what I have heard, range of sizes up to 182 or 185 (the only sizes that really matter), full twin, 111mm waist, Rocker tip, camber underfoot and flat tail. Word is that Douglas, Abma and others found the 192 Rocker to be too much ski a lot of the time, and the Czar is a better all around tool. Also a couple different sizes so some of the smaller guys like Sammy and Simon can use these to be like Andy, Pep and Pollard and do Hellbent/EP-esque stuff off booters and what not. So it's not surprising that bigpetey says they are noodles.

zo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpetey05 View Post
    shit, when i head back up to the mountain iwill try to snap some pics and stuff for you guys. it won't be till this saturday so hold your breath!

the are pretty fat ski's though, i would say they ALOT softer flex than these years guns
    Actually the flex is rather stiff, considerably stiffer than this year's Gun. Salomon is still figuring out the mounting point on them. I adjusted the demo binding all the way back on the pair I skied and they still felt too far foward. Word has it that Douglas has been skiing them well back of the line as well. Salomon has some really cool shapes in the works, and their emphasis is going to be much more freeride in the years to come. Their presence on the World Cup race circut is going to diminish as their racing R&D is going to Atomic...

sounds like a decent idea...but when did mother russia take over the ski industry? the comi, now the czar...what's next, the yeltzin?

Quote Originally Posted by zo View Post
    Actually the flex is rather stiff, considerably stiffer than this year's Gun. Salomon is still figuring out the mounting point on them. I adjusted the demo binding all the way back on the pair I skied and they still felt too far foward. Word has it that Douglas has been skiing them well back of the line as well. Salomon has some really cool shapes in the works, and their emphasis is going to be much more freeride in the years to come. Their presence on the World Cup race circut is going to diminish as their racing R&D is going to Atomic...
    sounds interesting. any knowledge of what the core is?
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

Their presence on the World Cup race circut is going to diminish as their racing R&D is going to Atomic...
    they axed their WC program actually. by bye readily available 916s....

How does the rocker compare to hellbents?

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    Do you think that will affect the new sth 16 freeride binding as well?
    I.Q.=36

ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

bossass is all-knowing

actually, salomon designed the czar after reading bossass's prediction about its dims and profile

Since they have the Atomic version of the 912 maybe Atomic will have a version of the 916?

I can't stand Atomic brakes. I loathe them with a burning passion. That's why I never buy Atomic bindings - although they have some nice features. Tyrolia has a binding that has a DIN from 6-17, and it's probably all metal (high-quality steel). I demoed some Metrons last season - they were too bloody heavy. And I thought they would be good in the crud, but no... For a ski that heavy.

Are you serious?

Damnit. Time to start hoaring them up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

zo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyCU View Post
    Do you think that will affect the new sth 16 freeride binding as well?
    I think the STH 16 binding will still be available for years to come. They've made that binding lighter by using more plastic and less metal in the toe... They wouldn't make a change like that, then have it go away soon after.

I think the STH 16 binding will still be available for years to come. They've made that binding lighter by using more plastic and less metal in the toe... They wouldn't make a change like that, then have it go away soon after.
    Maggots need all metal binders!

zo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Seem to be working OK for Douglas, Abma, and McReynolds???

went into to get them to ski today, but one of the other dudes got to them before i did. i'll try again in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    I agree here, I have come out of the new 916 set at the same din as the labs. My feeling is the plastic in the toe has a little more flex than the all metals.
    We have had some conversations about hybrid rockers here and my buddy who spends 2 weeks a year in Valdez and Haines decided to go with the Armada becacause he liked the flat spot under the foot versus a continuous rocker like the Praxis. We held them up together and they are very similiar with the Armada being alot narrower in the tip with alot less camber...interesting to hear his feedback on them in AK. Last year he went with the Pontoons, year before was a Spat.

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post

that looks like a copy of the dps website description of the rocker profiles for the wailer, lotus 120 and 138.. hmm...

I am really psyched to get my wife on a pair of the Czars. I saw somewhere (I think it was the Powder Mag site) saying they would be available from 166cm to 182cm lengths. Looking forward to some reviews.
    Last edited by BigLineSeeker; 02-09-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crass3000 View Post
    Since they have the Atomic version of the 912 maybe Atomic will have a version of the 916?
    They have a re-badged Atomic 916 version now, FWIW...