Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gman is online now Mack Master William Large

Fox vs RoxShox - Who Takes It?

Rather then clog up my other sram vs shimano thread, I thought I'd start a new one for suspension forks. Much like the other thread, I'm looking at people's preferences when it comes to AM/XC type bikes. I run a pike 454 on my hardtail, I've used a fox 40 on my dh bike and I like both companies. Not sure what the best option is for something around 5 inches of travel and some adjust ability for climbing and then some descending. I ride primarily in new england where the trails tend to be pretty rocky/bumpy so sensitivity is also important. Cost is less of an issue since I can get forks on proform.

Both make solid products, obviously, but I'm partial to RS mostly based on availability of small parts. This is both as a former shop mechanic and now as a normal peon trying to get parts through shops. The hassle of getting fox crush washers or travel spacers is a fuckin nightmare, while I had no problem getting rs small parts from SBS, BTI, QBP, or even straight from sram.

You might check out the Marz 55 too, heard rave reviews about it

Quote Originally Posted by rainier View Post
    You might check out the Marz 55 too, heard rave reviews about it
    2x
    Love mine.
    Then again, I don't think a Fox 36 can carry the jockstrap of a Marz 66, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    pretty rocky/bumpy so sensitivity is also important.
    marzocchi 44 (if you want 120-140mm travel, the 55 is 160-170mm) without question are far and away smoother and more sensitive than the fox/rockshox equivalent stuff.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Halson kills them all.

Inversion!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    marzocchi 44 (if you want 120-140mm travel, the 55 is 160-170mm) without question are far and away smoother and more sensitive than the fox/rockshox equivalent stuff.
    +1. The newer generation Marz forks are butter, and definitely smoother than their Fox/RS brethren in the flavors i've ridden. Apples to oranges, but the 2011 36 Talas I rode for a few days was pretty meh, whereas the 55 was face-meltingly smooth and bottomless. Also, the Marz customer service is stupidly good, and those guys will go way out of their way to make things right.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

X4 on current Marzocchi forks. I replaced a Fox Talas 36 (admittedly several years old, 150mm version) with a Marz 55 micro ti air (160mm), and it completely blows away the Fox. Super buttery and smooth right out of the box. Easy to tune, though the knobs are sharp machined metal and difficult to turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Are the new marzocchis still filled with lots of small, easily breakable parts that are only stocked in Italy? They had such a shitty run there for a few years, I'm still a skeptic, even if the new stuff does ride nice.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Are the new marzocchis still filled with lots of small, easily breakable parts that are only stocked in Italy? They had such a shitty run there for a few years, I'm still a skeptic, even if the new stuff does ride nice.
    I had a bad run there with them too, but it's a whole new ball game the last 2 years. I sent an out of warranty 44 in last year for some bushings I thrashed and rather than service it and charge me, they replaced the lowers, most of the internals, and had it back to me in about 10 days free of charge.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Aren't Marzocchi having some company problems right now, as in finding someone to manufacture them since Suntour will not be anymore? Or did that get resolved? Heard it on empty beer.

Also, someone please clarify something for me. Marzocchi still does a nickel coating on high end forks. I remember hearing from a Fox tech at the DH nationals at Mt Snow a few years ago that nickel was not working out for them. The entire Yeti team was on nickel coated 40's and the Fox guy said it helped with stiction, but scratched off way too easily and that they would not be putting it into production for this reason. If this is true, why is Marzocchi still using it? I'll take durability over a little extra butteryness any day of the week. I'm sure I'm not alone in this viewpoint.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Its a tough call between Rock Shox and Fox. I've spent some time using a Boxxer, Reba, Lyrik and Domain and all were problem free and worked perfectly. I recently picked up a 36 Talas and its been a solid fork so far, but its only been a couple of months. When it comes up to straight forward performance, both companies are pretty comparable.

I don't really have any basis for an opinion as I've never owned a Fox or zoke and have only ridden both on others bikes briefly. That being said I'll never pay full retail for a fox, they can't even be serious with those MSRPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

This comparison also depends on which category you're talking about.

100-150mm - Rock Shox by a long shot, mostly due to being significantly stiffer in the 32mm chassis, and that 15mm axle crap just bugs me

29er - Fox 34 seems pretty sweet

160-170 - Could go either way on this one, Fox 36 or Lyrik

180 - Rock Shox, my short time on a Totem felt quite a bit stiffer than my 36 Van did.

200 - No idea as I've never ridden a 40 or Boxxer

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    This comparison also depends on which category you're talking about.

100-150mm - Rock Shox by a long shot, mostly due to being significantly stiffer in the 32mm chassis, and that 15mm axle crap just bugs me

29er - Fox 34 seems pretty sweet

160-170 - Could go either way on this one, Fox 36 or Lyrik

180 - Rock Shox, my short time on a Totem felt quite a bit stiffer than my 36 Van did.

200 - No idea as I've never ridden a 40 or Boxxer
    This. Couldn't agree more. I've also found that secondhand Fox is more expensive in my experience.

No more X-fusion love?

Haven't tried the zoke (or x fusion), but as far as fox vs rockshox I like RS. My 140mm Revelation is loads smoother than both the f120 and the Talas 150 I owned. I rode a 140mm float a few times and it was close, but not as good. YMMV.
    come join me, rideit, and all the other retarts at f88me. Now under new management!

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    If you throw x-fusion in the mix, how does it compare to RS or Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    No more X-fusion love?
    OP wanted 140mm travel? x-fusion offers 160/170 and 130 as far as i know... i have not ridden the shorter x-fusion, so cannot comment there.

but yeah the 160-170mm x-fusion vengeance compares to a marzocchi 55 (feel different, but both much nice) the RS and fox stuff don't compare since they require more service and are a little less sensitive IMO.

i definatly prefer the revelation stuff the float 32mm chassis stuff.

i should add that i am a dh'er looking for plush mini-dh ride, not firm xc ride, so YMMV.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Pretty validatingMarsh. The 2011Fox TAlas I had were poor performers - underdamped . 160 and 150. So poor they were rejected for testing and completely rebuilt before even riding them. The2011 140 Float otoh was a strong performer. Fyi the short travel x-fusiom imo is as at least as good as the longer travel version

OP wanted 140mm travel? x-fusion offers 160/170 and 130 as far as i know... i have not ridden the shorter x-fusion, so cannot comment there.
    The Velvet is available in 140mm now.

So far I am happy with my Revelation RLT Dual Air (wihtout the travel adjust Dual Position). Still getting it and the bike dialed but it feels stiffer than the Fox 32 I rode a couple years back. I was deciding between the Rev and the 44 RC3 Ti. Ended up going for the lighter option over the plush mini dh fork option.

yeah man, you make the right call. the revelation is a totally rad fork. defiantly rides like a mini-boxxer IMO, the dual air particularly.

didn't know that about the velvet. interesting, thanks!

oh and lee, did you use the float 140 for longer than a year? at least at the shop in colorado, we saw after ~2 years a lot of those things needing major repair (bushings, worn stanchions, etc), but that could in large part be to the super fine dust. but didn't see the same issue with revelations or zocchis. anecdotal 1 data point only. curious if flow or any of the other shop rats saw similar things?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

oh and lee, did you use the float 140 for longer than a year? at least at the shop in colorado, we saw after ~2 years a lot of those things needing major repair (bushings, worn stanchions, etc), but that could in large part be to the super fine dust. but didn't see the same issue with revelations or zocchis. anecdotal 1 data point only. curious if flow or any of the other shop rats saw similar things?
    Used about 40 days fall and spring but we don't have anywhere close to the fine dust CO and UT sees. I also periodically lift wipers and put some fork oil to lift assorted crap off the internal seals - hopefully that helps. Definitely not long term use. Just a glaring difference in quality of travel between the 140 and the 150/160 - hard to believe the same fork company made them

Heh, good on ya for asking about the X-Fusion. Like I said to you last night, for me it would be between the Revelation and the Velvet. Serviceability and performance...

yeah man, you make the right call. the revelation is a totally rad fork. defiantly rides like a mini-boxxer IMO, the dual air particularly.

didn't know that about the velvet. interesting, thanks!

Could a part of that be that there are more Fox forks out there? I remember they pretty much owned the OEM market for quite a while. Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like they sell more mid to high end forks then Rock Shox.