ON3P Wrenegade -- A review

ON3P Wrenegade -- A review
    I'll start it off by saying, If I was posed with the riddle of what ski the tasmanian devil would choose to ride on the volcanoes of mars, this may very well be it.

The ski: 09-10 191 ON3P Wren at center mount
    191cm Wrenegade
    Tip to Tail Length: 191cm
    Dimensions: 141/113/128
    Running Length: 147cm
    Sidecut Length: 162cm
    Turn Radius: 30.5m
    Tip Rocker: 15cm x 1.5cm
    Tail Rocker: -
    Tip & Tail Length: 14.5cm
    Full Twin

Me: 210lbs in gear/6'2''/ Fast, steep line skier. I like to go real fast.
    my quiver: 190 Praxis Backcountry, 194 Dynastar LP, 190 Gold Gotama

The mountain: Mt. Hood Meadows, May 8th, buttery soft *fresh* slush
    *mountain was nailed w/ a foot during the week while closed, before warming into the weekend*

Right away, I got the ski up to speed and hit off a few small natural features. The poppy-ness was surprising. The bamboo core is certainly lively and doesn't take much to give you that bit of extra boost. Its also a very damp, solid platform on landing... I though it was "stompy."

Getting back into some steep fall lines, I opened it up, got out in front, and let it rip. The ski is soooo unbelievably solid and stable. Very quick and smooth edge to edge, this had just enough side-cut in the slushy butter. Never riding this ski before, i thought it might be a bit much for the conditions, but I was very wrong. The ski tore through the shit with ease. The 15mm tip rocker and sturdy shovel charged through heavy manky crud w/ no deflection. This was cool in itself.

The ski was almost too stable. I mean, its a fucking rocketship w/ Cadillac comfort-ability. The profile is similar to that of a Gotama, but much, much more solid and speed friendly (I don't think you'll find its speed limit). The tail, should you need it, is certainly there for you which is good because if faced with some unexpected chunder while doing mach-50 you might want to be able to sit back and put the brakes on.

The ski intends to have camber, though it felt relatively flat underfoot. I could definitely feel the engagement, but the feedback and responsiveness in the depth of a turn left me wanting a little more. The good thing here was the base structure and flatness allowed me to make minor side-side shifts through my feet to the ski while on a straightline or the run into a drop, without engaging the edge and it's turn radius. this was a cool feeling.

It certainly wasn't prime tree skiing conditions, I took them into it anyway and had a ton of fun. I'm not sure I've skied trees this fast or comfortably in such variable conditions. They are definitely quick enough edge to edge and can whip around very tight spaces.

All in all, I loved the ski. I thought it was so stable that it could use a bit more rocker up front, a tad more extreme camber to provide more responsiveness/propulsion out of turns, and a bit of tail rocker, cause why not?

After the trial run, I came back and talked to Scott about some changes I thought would make this ski about perfect. He already had them in mind, so we'll just wait to see what he has for the 10-11 WRen. One thing is for sure, It better have some GrizzlyCorn.

Good review

interested in the flex

is there any metal?

I ski a 195 Mothership (similar geometry) currently and was interested in some comparisons

Thanks

No metal

carbon over bamboo

Can't compare to the mothership, haven't fondled it in a while and never skied it. I'd say a pretty even 7 flex

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    One thing is for sure, It better have some GrizzlyCorn.
    Definately this. I Would buy them in a heartbeat.
    Nice review as well. Sounds like an awesome ski.

Can't compare to the mothership, haven't fondled it in a while and never skied it. I'd say a pretty even 7 flex
    I can chime in here...

Mothership and Wren are very similar, but the Wren is lighter, and poppier.

The Moship is an absolute beast, as you know, and is heavier and slightly beefier.

The Wren tip profile is fuggin' awesome, and I wish my Moships had that rocker/tip set up.

Overall, the Wren is stiffer than a lot of skis, but not as stiff as Moships under foot...not much is.

If you search Wrenegade reviews, I did one last year where I compared them to my 195 Moships, I think?

Both skis kill it, but I am thinking of switching to Wrens because of the weight, swingweight, and rocker profile over my Moships (I own 185 Moships now, and have owned 195's last year).
    You should have been here yesterday!

You should have been here yesterday!

191 ON3P Wren at center mount
    Scott is gonna cringe when he sees that.

OK so you are making me want Wrens again.
    watch out for snakes

thanks PowTron

I've got Dukes on my Motherships but never take them anymore since I've got AntiPistes with Dynafit, even on days when they would be better

so the Wren might be the ski for me, although I <3 the Moships

OPTIONS!!! agggh

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Scott is gonna cringe when he sees that.
    since I know he meant recommended, not center, I am all good
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

talked to Scott about some changes I thought would make this ski about perfect. He already had them in mind
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

The more I hear about this ski the more I want a pair, I've always wanted something like a b-squad / RC112 but can't justify the addition of a ski that I would only use a few days a season but the Wren seems like a more versatile type of ski that I would spend more time on but for my size (5 11 165lbs) still let me open it up without any issues.

It weird how the more I look at the ON3P line up the more I want that to be my quiver

thanks for the review
    Carry on my wayward son...

Any word on Pre-season sale Iggy? I got binders that need skis and its getting harder to resist some deals.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Any word on Pre-season sale Iggy? I got binders that need skis and its getting harder to resist some deals.
    should be available sometime this week. We are just finalizing new graphics and shape changes.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    should be available sometime this week. We are just finalizing new graphics and shape changes.
    Sounds good.

that was an excellent review, quikr12.
    i have a pair, and they make me wish i weighed just a little more. maybe i should ride them with an extra heavy backpack..
    they are very solid. i definitely never found a speed limit, either, but i didn't get a chance to get them up to any real speed this season. i could see that they would feel just fine at any speed. (though way more stable and easier to stop than my 185 rossi 9xs.. ) i haven't used them in any snow condition they didn't feel great in, though they sure do perform even more smoothly in deeper snow (sadly, again, didn't get the chance to test them in deep snow this year)- in the little pockets i found.
    when i first tried them, i expected to have trouble turning them quickly to get through trees, but was definitely shocked at how easy they were to turn. as long as i actually used my leg muscles instead of being lazy, they worked great! good response. i like the bamboo.
    i would agree that the tip profile is amazing.. it is what i see in my dreams when i envision the perfect ski tip..

thanks for the review. i meant to do one, but waited too long...

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    since I know he meant recommended, not center, I am all good
    haha. Good because I cringed.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound100 View Post
    haha. Good because I cringed.
    haha, yea RECOMMENDED... -9 or something like that... Shit I just put on the mark and called it good. It was