Thumbs up Gear Review: L.L.Bean Emerger Wading Jacket

Emerger Wading Jacket, Men's

Price: $79

Link here.

From LL Bean:
    About This Item
    Our redesigned Emerger is proof that a high-quality waterproof, breathable wading jacket doesn't have to cost a fortune. Our exclusive TEK2.5TM nylon fabric, borrowed from our bestselling Trail Model Rainwear, is tough, lightweight and breathable, so perspiration escapes, and you stay dry. We also packed this jacket with fishing-friendly features: cinch-tight cuffs to keep water out while releasing fish, an adjustable hood and waist, and four pockets to keep gear accessible and hands warm. Unique surface-mounted cord-locks on adjustment points lie flat and won't catch fly lines. Packs into its own pocket. Imported.
    This is a GREAT wading jacket for the price! I absolutely love it. It has the gasket style cuffs that actually do keep water out. Slightly over-sized hood fits over hats and has ease of movement. Pockets are huge. Even in really cold conditions, I wear a base layer, then a mid-weight fleece jacket under this thing and my upper body is PLENTY warm, even when my lower half is cold. I got it last fall, and in my region I can probably use it almost year-round (even in August when those rain storms come in and it drops 20 degrees in 15 minutes.)

I know there are better wading jackets out there, but for under $100 it would be hard to beat the value of this one.

Wading jackets are mandatory. Easily one of the best innovations in fishing gear in recent memory. I have the Orvis one, and my buddy has the LL Bean one. Both are excellent - especially if you are a klutz and fall in the water as frequently as I do.

It's a hell of a lot safer to release fish when you aren't afraid of plunging elbow-deep into the river on a cold day.

Nice pics! You get to fish some nice water, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by stump832 View Post
    You're horrid, and retarded, and you like the Yankees. You lose.

yeah, i gotta replace my old cheap wind breaker with a proper wading jacket.

that LL Bean one looks pretty good, and my brother's employee discount wont hurt either.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Yeah, I give it a thumbs up for sure.

Thanks for the heads up! I just pulled the trigger on one for my trip to Montana this weekend. The weather forecast look like shit! Hopefully the fishing wont be the same and I can report in on Monday with some stoke!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

72Twenty - How is this thing holding up now that you've put it through it's paces?

I'm in the market for a new winter wading jacket and don't have a lot of cash to spend on one. Seems like it is hard to beat for $79. My old jacket is the cloudveil paclite one I grabbed off of STP. Great waterproof protection, but the wrist gaskets BLOW. They keep little to no water out even when cinched as tight as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    72Twenty - How is this thing holding up now that you've put it through it's paces?

I'm in the market for a new winter wading jacket and don't have a lot of cash to spend on one. Seems like it is hard to beat for $79. My old jacket is the cloudveil paclite one I grabbed off of STP. Great waterproof protection, but the wrist gaskets BLOW. They keep little to no water out even when cinched as tight as possible.
    Still holding strong, and Bean backs up their stuff.

Keep in mind it is just a shell; using it in winter you certainly want to layer accordingly. In winter I usually wear a base layer like the cold-weather Under Armour stuff (I wear a Nike version) and a 200wt fleece jacket under this wading jacket (waders help too). I wear the base layer and the fleece under my waders, but then pull them up and wear the Bean jacket over the outside of the waders. In cold/winter I am not usually wading deeper than crotch deep anyway. Also, I picked up a pair of the Orvis fleece under wader pants and LOVE them as well.

This jacket still gets a thumbs up from me.

I have had mine for about 6 months now and was wearing it early last Thursday in 15 degree weather and it held up great. In my opinion it is a great jacket for the price.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Great to hear. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have had mine for about 6 months now and was wearing it early last Thursday in 15 degree weather and it held up great. In my opinion it is a great jacket for the price.
    It's good to know others around here are into fishing in that type of weather. can be very rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    It's good to know others around here are into fishing in that type of weather. can be very rewarding!
    I love cold weather fishing!

I will probably be in the market for new waders by next season, and I am seriously going to consider LL Bean for those as well. So far all of my other LL Bean gear has been great (wading jacket, regular jackets, down coat, wading shoes, etc.)

I use mostly LL Bean gear (including fly rods). To be honest, the main reason is because my brother works for them so his employee discount combined with occaisional finds from the employee store makes it very cost effective.

I have the emerger jacket and love it. The wrist gaskets work pretty well, its nice and dry, love the big chest pockets. I dont love the location of the hand warmer pockets, they are not especially useful because of the location, but i dont really use them much anyways. The only problem so far isnt LL Bean's fault, within a week of getting it, my wife slammed the zipper in the door (coat hooks next to the back door) and crushed the zipper.

I also have some LL Bean waders, used them for probably 5 years now. I have some of their top of the line guide waders from a while back. cant remember the model right now. They have held up pretty well, but the booties have not held up as well. the neoprene has worn through in multiple spots and right now the booties are probably more aquaseal than neoprene.

I love LL Bean rods, their reels tend to suck though. Drags wear out in no time.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin