Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    ^Have you guys tried changing the EXPOSURE metering setting on the unit? Check the instructions and try changing the metering setting and see if it helps.
    hmmn. That's a good thought there. This is the only thing I see in the manual regarding exposure settings.

Choose between Spot Meter and Center Weighted Average Meter (default) exposure settings depending on the lighting of your environment:
    Spot meter is primarily for shooting from inside of a car or other dark space looking out into a brighter outside setting. Spot meter adjusts the exposure for the absolute center of the scene, for example the road ahead instead of the interior of the car.
    If you are wanting optimum exposure of the inside of the car, filming mainly the driver for example, choose Cnt center weighted average to
    expose for the inside of the car.

Lost my damn helmet camera today on a run. Took a fall and is likely where it must have happened. Thing is I have taken much more violent falls before. The base (female clip the camera holder slides into) was still on the helmet, but the camera just slipped off at some point like I manually pinchid it to get it off.

Went back to look for it in probable spots but no luck.

bummer

I have been using a tether(para cord) on all mounts except the chesty, should probably do that one too. Sorry bout your lost cam, seen folks go back months later and find stuff that had been buried in snow.

Maybe you could borrow a metal detector to help find it?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I have been using a tether(para cord) on all mounts except the chesty, should probably do that one too. Sorry bout your lost cam, seen folks go back months later and find stuff that had been buried in snow.

Maybe you could borrow a metal detector to help find it?
    Props to GoPro

They are sending me a new cam. Probably b/c of the epic footy I take . My bad luck streak over the last weekend was horrible with broken skis, lost helmet cam, hacked email account, then GoPro turns it around.

Will not expect them to do this again for me so any info on that tether (para cord) scottyb? Is it home made? Any tips?

just buy a shoelace and tie it to your helmet somewhere
    60% of the time, it works every time.

^^ holy shit, now THAT is customer service right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    just buy a shoelace and tie it to your helmet somewhere
    Yeah I was looking for something a little more radical.

Yeah I'm stoked. Although I did lose my best footage yet with the loss of the cam, I am very happy with how much they were willing to talk. I am sure this is not their policy, but more of a case by case basis. It was more of a conversation with them on what happened, sent pics of my helmet mount that remains, and I included some info about how a second latch that locks down the male/female piece connection rather than just a pinch of the fingers to release. I definitely look forward to buying their next product b/c of this and I think my buddy is now convinced to get one too now.

Has anyone tried using one of the sticky glue mounts on a really soft ski?? I have the suction cup mount, but do not trust it enough when my skis are wet or snowy...it doesn't stick well in those conditions. I am thinking of just sticking one of the flat mounts on the front of my skis, but i'm wondering if it will pop off from the flex of the ski....EP Pro's...really soft. Anyone have feedback before I try this?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post

Will not expect them to do this again for me so any info on that tether (para cord) scottyb? Is it home made? Any tips?
    Totally cool they are hooking you up.

My tether is pure home made, like I said I use 550 parachute cord(the good stuff) and tie a bowline with a loop on one end. Make the loop big enough that it slips over the chin strap of your helmet, not too loose. I pull it up as high as it will go on the strap and then tie it off to the bottom of the camera housing and the pivot with a overhand knot followed by how ever many half hitches I can get with what ever cord is left. This way if the quick release ever fails for whatever reason the cam will dangle on the tether.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Has anyone tried using one of the sticky glue mounts on a really soft ski?? I have the suction cup mount, but do not trust it enough when my skis are wet or snowy...it doesn't stick well in those conditions. I am thinking of just sticking one of the flat mounts on the front of my skis, but i'm wondering if it will pop off from the flex of the ski....EP Pro's...really soft. Anyone have feedback before I try this?
    A friend of mine tried to do that and it popped off every single time. I would trust the surfboard mount before I trust the 3M mounts that come with the camera.

^^ Tried today with the sticky mount. It felt solid, and then when I put the cam onto it just before doing my run the fucking thing came right off. Sticky mount on ski, unreliable....motor sport suction mount, also unreliable for skiing. Fuck it, i'm going to drill the mount on.

Was talking to a snowboarder on the lift a couple days ago, and he had a small piece of the surfboard mount left on his board. The thing broke and fell off of his board.

Has anyone figured out how to get this thing to start-up in video mode? Every-time I turn it off and on it goes into the timed mode.

1. Take some extra Tape or other spacer to get the camera mounted solid. The funny rubber thing that came with it didn't do that trick for me, it's still clicking and wobbling around in the mount.

2. Beware of best powder conditions. Serious. I had a full day touring in perfect powder on a bright sunny spring day and all footage is crap. The camera just could not cope with the light. If you have that much light on snow, use the 60fps mode, it can handle bit more light (logically).

What I did is building a filter adapter from an old digicam tubus. So I can use PL and gray filters to get the camera handle the bright light. But so far I did not get another sunny powder day to test it

3. @unpossible: When starting it, take care to take the finger off the button BEFORE the first beep. Kind of crazy, but if it already beeps, it will think there was another button press right after startup. Either that (just count to three and let the button go) or you have to adjust the settings one BEFORE the video mode, so that the additional button press will jump right to video mode.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mangiari View Post
    3. @unpossible: When starting it, take care to take the finger off the button BEFORE the first beep. Kind of crazy, but if it already beeps, it will think there was another button press right after startup. Either that (just count to three and let the button go) or you have to adjust the settings one BEFORE the video mode, so that the additional button press will jump right to video mode.

Yep, I had a time trying to figure that same thing out then realized when I held the button too long the cam counted it as two pushes not one. go figure

Very nice filter adaptation! Let us know how it works for you.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to get this thing to start-up in video mode? Every-time I turn it off and on it goes into the timed mode.
    I noticed this at first too. To turn on, do not hold the button down until it beeps, just press once firmly for a second or 2 and let go of the button, there is a delay, and it powers on to the setting you left it on. Hold it until it beeps and it will flip to the next setting.

I eat my words with the exposure issue. Now that the sun is higher in the sky, I have also had some periodic over exposure issues in the alpine where every thing is white. I am going to try to rig up an old sunglasses lens over it. Gopro should make and sell some kind of filter for this, or perhaps an update download if it's an option.

read the manual and do some tests with it
    and most definitely check the camera angle

So update on the replacement cam. Tested and approved. Rigged a tether but it held during a rather robust fall. Props to Gopro for hearing me out.

The remaining footage is from a gated run (half nascar/half banked slalom/overall fun thing to set up) benefitting avy rescue dogs. Took a couple extra turns, but I was stoked to see an event like this at meadows.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/11410372"]Near Recovery, then easy lap on the course to benefit Rescue Dogs on Vimeo[/ame]

So is the memory normal SDHC, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lass+6&x=0&y=0

Not the micro or mini ones though?

It takes a regular size SD card (micro+adapter will work too). I would also recommend a class 6 card or higher.

looking at http://goprouser.freeforums.org/index.php

the guy, rambo, that runs it is kind of over the top moderating. Compalining all the time about about getting money support for the site; but www.freeforums.org lets the forum exist for free. Threads are locked everywhere. Is it just a waste of time?

I took my GoPro to lake powell this week. Got some cool shots from wakeboarding and cliff jumping. On my penultimate day there I decided to connect the camera to my front waterski boot. I secured it tightly around the boot and made sure that if any pressure tried to move the camera it would still be attached to my leg. i also put a tether on the camera just in case and connected it to the ski. While I was skiing I noticed the camera started to move around a little bit, but I don't think it ever hit me or the ski with any force. When I finished my run and got out of the water (never fell), I noticed that the camera would not stop recording. I looked closer and noticed that the clip that holds the camera case shut was missing. The case was attached to my boot in such a way that it could not open completely so the camera was still inside, but it was wet. I removed the battery and SD card and allowed them to dry overnight. Everything but the last video file on the SD card was recovered. The camera, however, will not work anymore. When I plug it in the red light comes on as if it is charging, but I cannot turn on the camera. I just sent an e-mail to GoPro, we will see what they have to say.

Gonna say that the biggest thing I wish I had known prior to buying my GoPro is how much of a pain in the ass basic editing can be for someone who's not very tech savy and doesn't have expensive software. I don't have a MAC and I didnt really plan on dropping a ton of loot on some fancy editing software.

I still have my ENTIRE 09/10 season of raw footage that I have yet to edit and put together. Being that the files are soooo fucking large (cause the quality is great), dumping all that onto my hard-drive only to have to duplicate and convert just to get it into any basic editing software is a massive pain in the ass. Bare in mind, when most of the guys here are talking about the process to sucessfully edit slow-mo footage, 95% of what is being said is over my head.

I suppose most of this is due to my personal lack of knowledge and editing equiptment... but I just hoped it would be easier. My old VIO POV1 was super easy. Dump the shit on the computer and I could do easy basic edits with WMM- Bingo fucking bango.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Quote Originally Posted by GoEhuge View Post
    Gonna say that the biggest thing I wish I had known prior to buying my GoPro is how much of a pain in the ass basic editing can be for someone who's not very tech savy and doesn't have expensive software. I don't have a MAC and I didnt really plan on dropping a ton of loot on some fancy editing software.

I still have my ENTIRE 09/10 season of raw footage that I have yet to edit and put together. Being that the files are soooo fucking large (cause the quality is great), dumping all that onto my hard-drive only to have to duplicate and convert just to get it into any basic editing software is a massive pain in the ass. Bare in mind, when most of the guys here are talking about the process to sucessfully edit slow-mo footage, 95% of what is being said is over my head.

I suppose most of this is due to my personal lack of knowledge and editing equiptment... but I just hoped it would be easier. My old VIO POV1 was super easy. Dump the shit on the computer and I could do easy basic edits with WMM- Bingo fucking bango.
    A lot of this is due to the fact that most people accept shitty video editors clustered with too many features and doo-dads they won't use as the norm.

WMM is one of the easiest editors I've used and I like it because its bare bones. It's drawback is that it doesn't handle a lot of different file formats. I am told Windows Live Movie Maker does better but I haven't checked.

I found a PC-based program that lets you edit in every file format I've looked at. It's as easy to use as WMM. It's almost as good as iMovie. Name is AVS4you. A copy is cheap and you can try the demo version before buying.

I'll note your complaint isn't really about the GoPro. It's about video-editing software.

and yeah, I wrote about this program in my reviews describing it as idiotproof. It isn't my fault that people don't bother to do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
    It takes a regular size SD card (micro+adapter will work too). I would also recommend a class 6 card or higher.
    You guys are all saying class 6 or higher, but GoPro's website says a class 4 or higher will be good enough. Any distinct advantage to having a faster card than the camera *needs*, other than faster upload through a card reader?

I've been filming with an 8gig class 4 and it's working well enough...

(I wouldn't have to ask this had I not lost my 16 gig class 10! Be careful where you keep your cards, photogs and videogs! Wallets are not as secure a place as you think, unless you have zippers. )