washing a mtn hardware sleeping bag

So my bag smells of funk. The tag says wash it in cold water in a front load washer. I'm curious if anyone has washed it in a TOP load washer. Any input is appreciated

Don't do it. Take it to a laundromat if you have to. Bring lots of quarters and use a (non) detergent down-specific product. Turn it inside out if it has a waterproof shell. Handle it very carefully when transferring it to the dryer as the wet down can break the baffles. Dry with a few tennis balls and/or a clean shoe to break up the clumps. Drying will take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    Don't do it. Take it to a laundromat if you have to. Bring lots of quarters and use a (non) detergent down-specific product. Turn it inside out if it has a waterproof shell. Handle it very carefully when transferring it to the dryer as the wet down can break the baffles. Dry with a few tennis balls and/or a clean shoe to break up the clumps. Drying will take a while.
    His bag is synthetic, not down.

Regardless, DONT use a top-loader. the bag will get wrapped around the center-post-agitator-thing in the washer and could get torn. Front loading washers dont have that agitator in the middle to snag things.

Just follow their instructions, jeez.

thanks for the down info, I have one of those to wash too

ahh agitator, during spin cycle..not so good. I'm just going to go with regular detergent I guess, it doesn't say

Nikwax Tech Wash is what you want to use. Failing that Woolite will do reasonably well too. Using Tide or other detergent based cleaners isn't a good habit to be in because it strips all of the DWR off your high tech fabrics.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I just take them to my mom when I'm home shes pretty much pro at washing stuff

I have the same bag, and will agree with NOT putting it in a top-loader - front-loader is the way to go if you're gonna wash it. Hanging it out in the sun and wind for a spell has taken care of most all funk I've ever encountered with mine, and it's definitely been used. Or maybe I just smell like roses and my bag never really stunk to begin with...
    Last edited by RedWolf; 06-08-2009 at 07:56 PM.