Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: ON3P Skis

ON3P Skis

So…finally ready to make a big post about what has been a big part of my life these last few years.

Project has been called ON3P skis. I can almost hear the moans and associated eye rolls of a lot of people who are sick of hearing about more and more ski companies coming out over these past few years. I have been thinking the same thing and it has definitely been compounded by my desire to be building my own skis. But bear with me…..

The idea started right after getting a pair of custom skis that basically turned out to be a big disappointment to me. They were not bad skis, but just not what I expected or asked for. This was in the spring of 2006 when I was finishing up my sophomore year of college at the UPS in Tacoma, WA.

Quick note. It is said O N 3 P. Just say it out. I have some friends who say it One 3 P. It stands for thirteenth and proctor which was the house I lived at when this idea started. But again, really simple. O N 3 P Skis.

As I thought about it more and more, I got it in my head that I should just build my own skis. Low and behold, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Cost wise, this project has cost me over 6 times what I originally expected. Granted, we have made 52 pairs of skis so far, but it took a ton of work to get where I am right now.

One of the biggest difficulties for me was that I was in college the whole time this was going on. Not only did I not have a lot of available funding (there were months were all I could really do one month was buy one tool, then another, and so on until I had everything I need), I did not have a lot of available time. I just graduated last may, and was studying biology with a premedical focus, so I was working pretty hard in school already. This was especially compounded by a 10 month thesis research project running crabs on treadmills (no joke….I ran crabs on treadmills….yup) that basically kept me in the library or lab 24/7 the last semester of my senior year.

At this point, I have graduated and really trying to see if I can get funding to make these skis available next year. With today’s economy, this is being pretty difficult. But I am pretty determined to get it done.

Anyway, basically I will give a photo guide of everything that I had to do to get this done. This involved designing and constructing my own ski press, learning how to use a ton of tools I had never used before, like routers, band, jig, and table saws, dremel, drills, etc. etc, and then learning how to design molds and skis shapes, and FINALLY getting to make some skis.

I didn’t want to half ass it, and while my skis are definitely not perfect, I think they came out pretty damn good and can only get better from here. So far I have made 52 pairs of prototypes and hope to get more out this year, but that all depends on funding.

Anyway, now to all the photos.

Painting the ski for the ski press. Thanks to Gabe (Jumper Bones) for the help getting all the steel to my house.

From here, I had to drill the steel. This was…..an interesting process for me. Steel was ½” steel, and all the holes I drilled were ½” wide, so when all was said and done, I had drilled some ridiculous amount like 15 feet of steel.

The hard thing was to make sure everything fit together well. It took me some time to figure out how to get everything drilled correctly, along with the difficult task of moving and drill beams that were almost 300 lbs each, sometimes right next to each other. But when all was said and done (after a lot of drilling), it was all worth it.

I used grade 8 bolts, lock nuts, and at least 2 nuts (sometimes 3) one each of the 148+ bolts that hold the press together. I will be building a new press soon that will be welded, so the time to build it will pale in comparison….anyway, press construction.

Legs coming together

From here, we finally had the moment of truth. Will everything fit together? The press was basically 3 parts; a main press cavity and two leg sections. When it was all said and done, I was so stoked that it turned out.

Best toll EVER for getting the legs on

Press finally came together, and looked great.

So then I moved from the house this idea started out to a new house. Located was great because it was with a few blocks of 10 bars….BUT shop wise, conditions were tight. The shop was 13’ x 17’ and had only 2 110V lines. Ek. But I made due, and had to build it up a lot.

Lots of work to go

So now I had to go and make the best of the space I had. So I build up the shop from the ground up.

Last edited by iggyskier; 10-13-2008 at 01:07 PM.

When the shop was finally done, I was pretty sure even with the less than 300 square feet I had, I could get everything in there and get this all done.

Go tools

After I made the base mold, I had my rocker sections cnc’ed. I wanted to have the ability to easily swap between different rocker sections, so I designed 3 different rockers, between 15 and 35cm that were easily interchangeable.

I then got the cat track cut, top and bottom molds finished, and put the press together.

I use a planer crib to make my cores. I made an adjustable crib that was not perfect, but it works to do almost 110 cores with 9 different core profiles…

David helping out

Anyway, first ski out of the press was meh. I don’t really know how it happened, but all of a sudden I knew was that suddenly I laying up a ski wondering what the hell I was doing.

I used WAY too much epoxy.

Cat approve

Next to the FFFs

Next ski came out better.

Last edited by iggyskier; 10-13-2008 at 01:07 PM.

After getting 2 skis under my belt, I pressed the first pair I would get to ski on.

Skied them up a crystal. Several other people got to use them and everyone seemed to like them.

Git ir done

Buddy david took them out too

Anyway, kept on working and got a few more pairs out. Here is the girlfriend showing off Wren’s wrenegades.

Then things picked up a lot. I stated off expecting to make 7 pairs of skis at first. Well at the end we had produced 52 pairs.

VDS

Cutting jig

Tipspacers

Base material

Fiberglass broken up by size

Some cores

Rest of cores

From here on I could show a ridiculous amount of photos, but I will just throw a handful up.

At the end I had a lot of help from friends just helping me get the skis done. First and foremost, Sam Caylor. His is the man and he cut and finished a ton of skis.

Also David, Billy, Rowen, Will, and Josh all showed up to help get the skis done.

Will with his skis

Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

One of the things that was the hardest part for me was hand cutting the edge notch of the ski. Sometimes I did a good job, other times not as well.

Before

After

Zoe’s custom pair vs. a pair of caylors

Sam is a badass

Caylor with his namesake - the caylor

Me Laying up Skis

Where I lived there was 10+ ally cats. They are great company

Marshal’s Great Scotts getting layed up

Wood veneer

Anyway, that is obviously a lot of photos.

When this production cycle was all was said and done I had made 52 different skis.

Sam with about 45 of the finished pairs.

Last edited by iggyskier; 09-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Anyway, here is the info about the skis.

191cm Great Scott
    145/125/130 corresponding to running length
    Running Length = 122cm
    Tip rocker = 25cm x 2 or 2.5cm
    Tail rocker = 15cm x 1.5cm
    Turn Radius = 29.8m
    Tapered Tip and Tail
    Mount = -8cm

191 Caylor
    147/121/144
    Running Length = 92cm (go skiboards!)
    Tip Rocker = 35cm x 2.5cm
    Tail Rocker = 35cm x 2.5cm
    Turn Radius = 26.8m
    Mount = -3cm

191cm Wrenegade
    141/113/128
    Running Length = 162cm
    Tip Rocker = 15cm x 1.5cm (rec)
    Tail Rocker = N/A
    Turn Radius = 30.5m
    Mount = -9cm

186 Billy Goat
    140/115/120 corresponding to running length
    Running Length = 117cm
    Tip Rocker = 25cm x 2cm
    Tail Rocker = 15cm x 1.5cm
    Turn Radius = 22.8m
    Mount = -7.5cm

186cm Jeronimo
    145/115/142
    Running Length = 157cm
    Tip Rocker = 25cm x 2cm
    Tail Rocker = 25cm x 2cm
    Turn Radius = 21.6m
    Mount = -3cm

186cm JBS
    132/104/120
    Running Length = 157cm
    Tip Rocker = 15cm x 1.5cm
    Tail Rocker = NA
    Turn Radius = 28m
    Mount = -7.5cm

179 Custom (unnamed) – Right now full custom
    135/110/115 corresponding to running length (15cm tip taper, normal tail)
    Running Length = 137cm
    Tip Rocker = 15cm x 1.5cm (rec)
    Tail Rocker = NA
    Turn Radius = 30.5m
    Mount = -6cm

179 Blue Steele
    111/85/111
    Running Length = 150cm
    Tip Rocker = NA or 15cm x 1.5cm
    Tail Rocker = NA or 15cm x 1.5cm
    Turn Radius = 21.6m
    Mount = Center

Here is a quiver pic of my skis and the breakdown.

191cm ON3P Great Scott w/ s916. -8cm from center. 145/125/130
    191cm ON3P Caylor w/ s916. -3cm from center. 147/121/144
    191cm ON3P Wrenegade w/ s916. -9cm from center. 141/113/128
    191cm ON3P Wrenegade w/ P12 Demo. -9cm from center. 141/113/128
    186cm ON3P Jeronimo w/ s916. -3cm from center. 145/115/142
    186cm ON3P Jeronimo w/ P12 Demo. -3cm from center. 145/115/142
    186cm ON3P JBS w/ 997 Demo. -7.5cm from center. 132/104/120
    179cm ON3P Blue Steele w/ FKS120. Dead Center. 111/85/111
    163cm ON3P Customs for the girlfriend. 120/90/110

Rocker shot

As you go along skis: tip rocker: tail rocker
    Great Scott: 25cm x 2cm: 15cm x 1.5cm
    Caylor: 35cm x 2.5cm: 35cm x 2.5cm
    Wrenegade: 15cm x 1.5cm: flat
    Wrenegade: 15cm x 1.5cm: flat
    Jeronimo: 25cm x 2cm: 25cm x 2cm
    Jeronimo: 25cm x 2cm: 25cm x 2cm
    JBS: 25cm x 2cm: 15cm x 1.5cm
    Blue Steele: flat: flat
    Girlfriends skis: 15cm x 1.5cm: flat

and gotta have one of the cats somewhere in the photos

And a few pics of the skis getting tested in Montana over the summer. Skier is David Steele.

Skis are bamboo core, currently PBT topsheet, 4001 race base, 2.2mm/1.3mm edges, VDS, 22oz glass, carbon fiber, fiberglass binding mat.

Production skis if they ever happen would change over to screen printed topsheets as well as bases, UHMW sidewalls (currently bamboo), but otherwise should be pretty similar.

So yeah, I figured I would just get a post out there. If any of the other kids who got skis want to post something up, by all means do. This project has been a huge part of my life and I would love to make it into a full blown ski company.

Ideally I would like to do something where you were given at least a choice in topsheet and flex, and possible rocker, but we shall see.

Right now trying to get funding to get a real shop (hopefully moving from about 300 square feet to 2000-3000 square feet), materials at an affordable cost (right now my cost was huge), and better tools.

Currently in Portland, so if you are skiing around Hood or Crystal/Baker, I should have demos I would love people to try. I have a 301mm boot, too, so if anyone has a boot sole close to mine you are welcomed to try my skis as well.

Questions, comments, etc are definitely welcomes. Even let me know what skis you want made. I definitely have some ideas, but the more input the better.

We should have a website up soon as soon as I can afford it. www.on3pskis.com will be the address. So yeah, that is it mostly. I hope those who got the skis like them And to those hoping to get the skis, hopefully I can make some stuff that you think kicks ass.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 01-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Amazing what you can come up with if you want it enough.

Look real good, keep on perservering with it. If all else fails, you should never need to by a pair of sticks again!!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

It's awesome to see what someone can do when they work hard enough at something. Kudos to you and your crew. Hopefully you can keep it going.

Your 191 great scott intrigues me very much. I'll keep on the lookout if you ever get to a point where you're ready to sell/demo them.

Keep us up to date!

Wow. That is crazy mad.
    Crabs on treadmills and a ski factory in your garage!

good work.
    Are you giving up the pre-med to be a struggling indy ski company?

PS - In my head, the name was pronounced as "ONE P"
    Last edited by Core Shot; 10-13-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    . . .

Congrats man...I've always enjoyed your comments in ski build threads, you obviously know your shit. Good luck!

good work.

So, did the crabs take off?

advres Guest
    sickie!!! Props.

And like Core Shot I pronounce your skis differently than you suggest. Own-EP.

TREMENDOUS effort!! Wow!! Thanks for posting up the history. Looking forward to seeing the skis on the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post

I laughed.

Solid work on the skis and the shop. You guys should be very proud of yourselves.

Do your edges wrap all the way around the tip/tail? I couldn't tell, or missed the shot that showed if they do.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wow. That is crazy mad.
    Crabs on treadmills and a ski factory in your garage!

good work.
    Are you giving up the pre-med to be a struggling indy ski company?

PS - In my head, the name was pronounced as "ONE P"
    For the time being I am putting anything medical on hold. Tough choice because I know it is a field I am super interested in and would be happy in, but if there is any shot to do anything in skiing for awhile I wanna take it. Only 22 some I have some time to see if I can make this work or decide if I would like to pursue medicine more.

The name is definitely an awkward point, but it has been around so long I am sticking too it. At least one p is close. I have heard people calling it Open and that is just retarded.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 10-13-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    good work.

They try, but there is 1/2" plastic closed flow respirometer getting in their way.

So.... when can we get a pair for the Colorado mags to try out? That 191 Great Scott looks like it would be right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I laughed.

Do your edges wrap all the way around the tip/tail? I couldn't tell, or missed the shot that showed if they do.
    No. 3/4 wrap to allow to tips to flex and decrease chance of delam. I can take a few pictures of my pairs to show how far up the edges run.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    So.... when can we get a pair for the Colorado mags to try out? That 191 Great Scott looks like it would be right up my alley.
    Marshal is getting a pair of great scotts, definitely one of the stiffer ones. I should also be back home in Boulder sometime during the ski season and if you can fit into the bindings (I think we can get almost a 317-320 boot in) then you are welcomed to try my pair.

well done. skis look sick. best of luck with them.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Nice... I'll be sure to remember.

How long did the process take from the start? Its pretty amazing the time and dedication that it looks like you put in.

Wow.......that's amazing. Any plans on selling those boards at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Nice... I'll be sure to remember.

How long did the process take from the start? Its pretty amazing the time and dedication that it looks like you put in.
    It took a lot longer because of school. There were months I just couldn't get in the shop much at all. But from buying steel to having finished the 52 pairs took about two years.

And because I drilled that press it took forever. If it had been welded I would have been able to finish it quickly. Instead it took so long....plus I had to figure out what I was doing with every single tool used. Still got all my fingers though.

Work wise I really couldn't spend the time I wanted to in the shop until I graduated. Most of the actual ski pressing occurred this summer.

There were a few things I would go back and do differently. Definitely would have made the press double wide so I could press pairs at once, instead of single skis. If I had the power to do it, I would of ran two heat blankets would have also cut my pressing time in half, but just didn't have the capability.

New press I will hopefully be able to build soon will be double wide, double bay.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 10-13-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Congrats on the excellent work Scott!

You've put a LOT of time and money into this and it certainly shows. Hope things work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Wow.......that's amazing. Any plans on selling those boards at some point?
    I would like to, but who knows how things will turn out. Trying to finding funding for it right now and get everything set up from a legal standpoint, let everyone who got skis test them along with producing another round of testers and see how things go. Ideally we can get 100+ protos out there so skis that went to production will be dialed.

Definitely skis all over the place, too, so if you see them ask whoever is on them if you can check them out. I think there are pairs in AK, Vancouver, Seattle, Bellingham, Tacoma, Portland, San Fransisco, Salt Lake City, Denver, Breckenridge, Bozeman, Ottawa, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, and Jackson....so good chance you will see them around.
    Last edited by iggyskier; 10-13-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Very cool, nice to see you pursuing your passion in life. Most people don't.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle