Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    I've been pleased so far with using the new Marker Squire binding with my Dynafit Zzeus boots. Squire has the moving AFD like Duke/Baron/Jester and has a ramped height adjustment like the Duke/Baron. It doesn't have as much adjustment as the Duke, but it seems to be sufficient to work. Would love to see some empirical tests.
    HOw about a side pic of the boot in the binder, Im curious to see how the boot sits on the AFD.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Been in a fiddling mood tonight. I was able to fit a sliding AFD from a Look binding into a 916 toepiece with only minor dremel work. It bolts up nice, and I can get my titan AT boot in and seemingly adjusted correctly. Now, who has ideas for getting this tested for release?

Attachment 87718

FWIW i skied a jester and griffon with a scarpa mobe jsut fine. it tests jsut a hair within torque for me (ie high, but *just* within allowable).

i normally ski at a 13.5 on the jester, and with the mobe's have been fine at 12.

jon, you need to take them to any decent shop. they should have the vermont calibrator.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

To tell the truth, I've been putting GRides, Spirit 3s, and now Mobes in Look P12s for years and it has been fine. Also probably some of the Tyrolias would work nearly as well.

I'm certain the Marker bindings would work as well or better than anything else on the market.

One tip for most users, I inspect my boot/binding every time I put them on. It is possible sometimes to squeeze things shut with the boot slightly cockeyed or partially out.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Been in a fiddling mood tonight. I was able to fit a sliding AFD from a Look binding into a 916 toepiece with only minor dremel work. It bolts up nice, and I can get my titan AT boot in and seemingly adjusted correctly. Now, who has ideas for getting this tested for release?

Attachment 87718
    This is awesome and deserves it's own thread. I might try to copy that procedure with a set of 914 labs.
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

I've just started using my Axons in 997s and it seems to work well. My feet are happy and warm and I've been using the boots so much for BC this season that I'm use to the way they ski.

I'm a little concerned about the safety of it though reading this thread. I had to mash down the toe height a fair amount beyond the bench fitting because of the squishy nature of the vibram. A simple kick test showed me they would pop out, but I'm tempted to lower the DIN by 2 or so. Did this with another pair and it seems to snap out similar to what my alpine boots would do at 12.

The sole of the Virus looks interesting- the two hard knobs would ostensibly help facilitate release on an alpine fixed AFD.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    GODDAMNIT THIS KEY FITS IN THE LOCK BUT I TRIED AND TRIED TO TURN IT AND IT WOULDNT TURN AND NOW I BROKE IT OFF! FUCKING BAD ENGINEERING!

c'mon

Like I said in my opening post... the only way to bake a binding that works for AT boots and downhill boots is a moving AFD and manually adjustable toe height. No currnet alpine binding fits that bill.

The next choice is to change the boot. That would mean removing vibram....

OR

Do what Garmont is doing: The Garmont Adrenaline will have a removable vibram sole. With the sole removed the toe height will be lower and there will be no vibram.
    I know the Dalbello Virus has two hard round plastic pieces under the forefoot that are made to work with the AFD plate... Any chance you have a friends who has them? I'm curious to see how they interact with the whole shebang myself...

Edit: dude above me beat me to it. I'm speshul.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Which bindings are best???

I've got a pair of Scarpa Maestrale's that I'd like to use on a pair of bump skis I just ordered. I know everyone will think they are too soft but I've been bump skiing on them just fine so far with my Chargers with Dynafits. No pre-releases. I can throw small jumps no problem. Dynafits are too expensive and I really don't see them holding up over time or handling a triple with a hard landing into a zipperline. I think the Forshitzees are too high and will be a problem with 66mm underfoot skis. So I want some alpine bindings. I've read about the issues with the toe widths and just verified side to side slop on a pair of skis I picked up at the thrift store (marker bindings). So my best guess is a Salomon binding with the adjustable toe wings. Is that going to be the best option? I'm planning on going to the thrift store to find a pair of boots that have the same length so I can get a shop to mount them...when I'm done with the boots I'll just donate them back. Hopefully I can get a pair for 20-30 bucks. Any insight on the best binding would be appreciated.

I'd say your best bet for new bindings would be Marker Jesters...

I think that's what Bryon Wilson skis on (Bronze Olympics). So no side to side play? Solid fit eh?

Well it's the same design as the Dukes/Barons and it is worn in the park, so should be solid. I haven't skied them.

I wouldn't go with adjustable toe wing Salomons because they have the teflon static AFD.

PX12s, Tyrolias, and Solomons with moving AFDs are alternatives.

Well it's the same design as the Dukes/Barons and it is worn in the park, so should be solid. I haven't skied them.

I wouldn't go with adjustable toe wing Salomons because they have the teflon static AFD.

PX12s, Tyrolias, and Solomons with moving AFDs are alternatives.
    Thanks that sounds good.

If the 11 DIN is enough for you, the Marker Squire works pretty well with my Dynafit ZZeus. YMMV. The Squire has a ramped, adjustable, moving AFD a la Duke/Baron. It doesn't adjust down as much as the Duke, but its working well for me. And my shop mounted them knowing I was going to use them with AT boots.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    If the 11 DIN is enough for you, the Marker Squire works pretty well with my Dynafit ZZeus. YMMV. The Squire has a ramped, adjustable, moving AFD a la Duke/Baron. It doesn't adjust down as much as the Duke, but its working well for me. And my shop mounted them knowing I was going to use them with AT boots.
    winner here!

I tried squeezing my Titans into some Jesters the other day. The toe didn't want to fit at all but I forced it in. It was tight enough that the binding toe wings left an imprint in the boot toe lug plastic, and so did the heel (on the top for both). It really didn't want to work. I hate to think how much unintended force was applied to the AFD and toe auto-height mechanism. I decided it wasn't a good idea so didn't ski it.

Although I thought the STH 14 Salomons I ordered offered a vertical adjustment they did not. The shop that mounted my bindings is a very reputable shop in Park City and had absolutely no problem mounting my AT boots. I even asked them prior to ordering my bindings and they thought I was crazy to think they would not mount them. Everyone is using AT boots out here now. The boots fit right in no problem. The test machine failed the DIN release force which they noted on the paperwork but that was just fine with me. They were releasing too late. So instead of cranking them up to 10 I had the tech set them on 9. Since they failed and it was noted on the paperwork the tech had no problem setting the DIN to the value of my choice. I've been skiing a very long time and can say this from personal experience. The best way to get injured is to lose a ski. Unless you are chasing gates or get caught in a slide the best place for your skis is locked to your feet. If you blow an air it's very easy to adjust prior to crashing so your knees don't get killed. It takes experience, a presence of mind and an understanding of how knees get injured but with that information it's no problem. Crank them down until they don't ever come off. Skis are an extension of your body. Knees are typically blown because the skier is a beginner or the skier is trying too hard in competition and is unwilling to blow out of their line in hopes of saving their run.

Quote Originally Posted by mjanulaitis View Post
    Knees are typically blown because the skier is a beginner or the skier is trying too hard in competition and is unwilling to blow out of their line in hopes of saving their run.
    Uh, yeah. Except for when things are non-typical. There are some decent skiers around here who have blown their knees, y'know. Not in a course.

Of coarse accidents happen. Maybe I'm just lucky. I remember fellow competitors all blew out their knees spinning or getting back seat. I don't jump off rocks or cornices unless the landing is steep and soft. I watch kids do the opposite all the time. The older you get the smarter or more reserved you get. So yeah the kiddies might blow their knees out more often because they think they are indestructible. I built a kicker last week in my yard and was very aware which types of tricks caused pain in my knees. My favorite trick is twisters because they are so easy but I noticed pain when I was throwing doubles. So...no more twisters. Now I'm being cautious and only throwing iron cross to mute airs (tips up what ever that is called). I've never flipped but I could see that as a great way to blow a knee. You are at the mercy of your pop and if you over rotate you likely won't have the time or presence to rotate sideways and land on your side so a vertical release would be required. Spinning you'll need to be able to release sideways. For about 10 years I telemarked and spun all the time. I never had a problem with my knees and of coarse as you know, you're locked in. In fact in the 70 days a year I telemarked for 10 years I never hurt my knee. I even ripped the zipper lines and hit kickers. But then again I never get seriously hurt at any sport. Maybe I'm just the luckiest sob in world.

No one seems to be talking about heel release. I demoed some skis with solly bindings the other day, with my Scarpa Maestrales, and pre-released three times in one run out of the heels. I know, demo bindings, but I had them set the din 1.5 higher then I normally ski with. Is the added thickness in the heel a problem or was it just a fluke with crappy demos?

It would seem that the boot makers would see the light especially with them moving towards a one boot quiver. Just make a variant or in the Cochise a tech sole with din toe and no Vibram sole. It seems like a simple solution.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I ran the din down to the lowest setting which made it easy to push the boot around by hand to compare the friction of a din sole to that of an AT sole, even in a 4frt alpine binding with a moving AFD there was quite a bit ... its easy to do try it

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    It would seem that the boot makers would see the light
    Not happening yet. Marker could solve this problem by making the adjustment range on the Jester/Griffon about 3mm longer. Salomon/Atomic could solve the problem by putting a sliding AFD on the driver toe. Dalbello/Dynafit might be on to something with the hard plastic pegs in the AFD area . . . unfortunate that the hollow area on the toe wings of the new Guardian/Tracker binding seems to hang up sometimes on tech fittings . . .

From a liability perspective to even acommandate an AT boot in an alpine binding by accident would be a foolish thing for the binding makers ... I would bet they make the binding not quite fit an AT boot on purpose

Keep an eye on the rollers on the inside of the toe wings on Marker products if you are using a boot with tech fittings (this includes Dukes/Barons). Regular use seems to put flat spots on the rollers, rendering then.... Un-roller like. I've seen it on a couple of buddies bindings, I can't comment as to how it effects release one way or the other however.

My buddy let me borrow some resort skis and I had to setup the bindings. Marker IQ Max with Scarpa Mas...At first the heal peice was not holding well but after fine tuning it I was able to get them to hold great on about 9. Ripped some bumps and they held no problem. Of coarse I don't ever want my binders failing (that's how you get hurt) so I don't really care about releaseability. For the newbies, yeh AT and resort binders don't mix.

Somewhat unrelated, why hasn't the ski industry figured out that walk mode should be the norm? I can ski any line, steeps, zipper, groomers with my AT boots and they work great. Those heavy stiff resort boots seem foolish.