Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Skis

Ramp Skis

Anyone been on em? 131-100-119 Seemed pretty solid when I flexed.

Yep, I skiied them last week and LOVE them. First of all, they are really light weight, even with the demo bindings on them. They are the perfect blend between new riser technology and traditional construction. A little early rise in the tip with solid vertical sidewalls and flat tail. For being so wide under foot they are still quick to turn and snappy. And the graphics are pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieSweetTurns View Post
    Yep, I skiied them last week and LOVE them. First of all, they are really light weight, even with the demo bindings on them. They are the perfect blend between new riser technology and traditional construction. A little early rise in the tip with solid vertical sidewalls and flat tail. For being so wide under foot they are still quick to turn and snappy. And the graphics are pretty cool too.
    you just discounted anything said.... not that it has much behind it as a first time poster anyway. BUt it did get me searching on the internet about them so not a complete fail.

edit: website sucks
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Ha ha seriously what a tool!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    you just discounted anything said.... not that it has much behind it as a first time poster anyway. BUt it did get me searching on the internet about them so not a complete fail.
    At 700 posts a year I wonder if you find time to actually ski...

The Ramp stuff is legit. I took out all the products this weekend. Everything skis great. The ski pictured really does initiate easier than most 100 mm skis, regardless of where a ski that size would fit in your quiver. I'm usually a fan of metal in my skis, which this ski doesn't have, however it was more stable and powerful than similar skis like the Kung Fujas. After a few runs I stopped missing the metal, actually.

I also skied the Peacepipe at 115 underfoot with decent early rise in the tip, but tradition camber underfoot through the tail. It held up to the claims of good float while maintaining all mountain skiability, and did it as well as any other ski I've tried. It really did rip the groomers back to the lift. It also felt more powerful than its weight had me believing, thanks no doubt to a tail construction stiffer than many skis in that category. It's not a monster by any means, but when you flex it you won't feel a noodley tail like an S7.

At first, coming off a metal ski, the peacepipe felt a little easy to ski, but once I realized the tail and the rest of the ski were 100% there for me, I think this ski just equals more runs out of a day. I might end up on it, and if I do it'll probably be every day.
    Gotta get one more day... WWW.WESTCOMB.COM

14M Side cut on the peace pipes - 146-115-134mm

Where are these things made?, the office is in Park City.
    Last edited by sfotex; 12-14-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

RAMp Rips

I took out the Hogs in a foot of fresh at Vail this past weekend and they were sick! They floated great in the deep stuff, were easy to handle in the trees, stable enough to stomp a couple cliff drops and when I hit some packed powder on the way back to the lift they ripped a mean GS turn for a ski that is 100mm under-foot! The Groundhog is the perfect one-ski quiver for the agressive all-mountain skiier who is always looking for a little powder stash. GET SOME!

Hideous graphics.
    Alright, maybe not..How about this: Go to landfill with point & shoot, snap photo of pile of old tires with wide whitewalls. Apply as sweet topsheet graphic. Overlay photo on tails of favorite pimp. Something like this. No need to agonize over a fancy ski name (like woodchuck ski). Ski name is already prescribed depending on chosen pimp.

My services are available as either designer of next ski or as tail graphic itself.

I find it interesting that I get stuff through a couple sources from this company today, and then all the sudden we get an influx of NEW members posting nothing but glowing reviews...

Paint me suspicious.
    Gravity. It's the law.

agreed. the timing is conspicuous. maybe someone will post where these skis are made

^^^I thought the same.......very odd.

Those graphic look they did come from a Long Island Landfill........Carve, where you at? I grew up in Huntington

Quote Originally Posted by Westcomb_Pro View Post
    At 700 posts a year I wonder if you find time to actually ski...
    How on earth do I find time to ski while posting twice a day

Looks like a bunch of east coast skis to me. Short turn radius and for some reason wide is a 100mm. Which is fine, not many indies going this rout. I am still trying to figure out how on earth someone can carve a turn on something that FAT.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Bump

So has anyone with more than 1 post skied any of the ramp skis? I cant find any reviews or anything on them. In particular has anyone skied the Peace Pipe? In the contact info for Ramp the address is Park City.

Quote Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
    Ski name is already prescribed depending on chosen pimp.

Dibs on first run Magic Juan skis!

Quote Originally Posted by gbob636 View Post
    So has anyone with more than 1 post skied any of the ramp skis? I cant find any reviews or anything on them. In particular has anyone skied the Peace Pipe? In the contact info for Ramp the address is Park City.
    Sounds like you got their email today too, huh? For the price, you may just want to roll the dice.

Gravity. It's the law.

Talked to the Owner at Snowbird a few weeks ago, skis are made in Taiwan at the factory that does Head snowboards (I think), anyways one of the biggest snowboard factories going. One of the guys involved in the manufacturing process helped BD get there overseas factory going. He said quality has been top notch (FWIW)
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Sounds like you got their email today too, huh? For the price, you may just want to roll the dice.

Right on

Are you guys seeing a different price than me? I just went to the website and they seem kind of expensive for a made in taiwan ski that i have never heard of. When hand made on3p skis are the same price and coreupts are 200 less.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum_jr View Post
    Are you guys seeing a different price than me? I just went to the website and they seem kind of expensive for a made in taiwan ski that i have never heard of. When hand made on3p skis are the same price and coreupts are 200 less.
    Non-JONG pricing. Some day when you get a little bigger...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Seems like the tri-state crowd is diggin' the pimp style - you listenin' Ramp skis? That woodchuck ski is butt-ugly, but we got some fine lookin' pimps lined up so you can do it right next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    ^^^I thought the same.......very odd.

Those graphic look they did come from a Long Island Landfill........Carve, where you at? I grew up in Huntington
    jmars-I'm stuck in Shoreham, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
    Dibs on first run Magic Juan skis!

We will be demo-ing the RAMP skis next week @PowMow, so we'll have some reviews posted on our site. I'm anxious to see how they ski compared to some of the other indie's and handmade skis.
    http://BestSkiSales.com
    Ski &Snowboard Deals

I got a chance to ride most of the models for an afternoon. Peacepipe review below. I'll post the Grounhog (100mm underfoot) review next.
    I thought it's a really sound ski at a really decent price but not as burly as other fat skis marketed at hard-charging, big-terrain situations. I emailed Michael Kilchenstein after skiing it and told him I thought it was not a hard-charger compared to many others out there, and he assured me the pros who have skied it thought it was worthy to wear the tag. I'm no pro skier, but the Peacepipe was wicked fun and easy handling, and stayed quiet and grippy at GS-speeds on the groomers back to the lift. Definitely worth a demo ride to check them out. I think the retail price point might be a little high when you look at skis from Keith at Praxis and Scott at ON3P and others in the same price range, but Ramp is agressive on pricing and has a boatload of "insider", "pro", "club" and "rep" pricing programs to knock the price down. They have a bunch of demo events around the country listed on their website where you can take 'em for a spin.

Ramp Sports - Peacepipe
    146-115-134mm, r=14.43m @ 179cm.

Ramp Sports Peacepipe 179cm

Manufacturer Info:

Ramp Sports
    2750 Rasmussen Rd. Suite 103
    Park City, Utah, 84098
    1-888-406-0567
    http://www.rampsports.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$1,000 ($799 "street price" on the website)
    Sales in 2011 are direct-to-consumer only, no dealers
    Applying the "insider" deal code (free if you sign up at the website) applies 18.5% discount for final price of $651. Free shipping.

Usage Class:

Powder Ski

Your Rating (with comments): (1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

9 for powder, 7 on-piste for its width.
    Note: This limited test did not test the ski in "big mountain" terrain, but in Eastern trees with fresh, shin-deep powder, cut-up powder, packed powder and hardpack groomers (no crud, no crust, no windblown).

Summary:

Really, really fun, friendly fat ski with a wide range of terrain and snow condition capabilities. I loved this ski after two turns. Excellent agility, float and response with above-average grip on firm surfaces for about $650 delivered to your door.

Technical Ski Data:

Wood-core, fiberglass, full-wrap edge ski construction. No metal layers.

Techsheet from Ramp Sports:
    http://www.rampsports.com/store/medi..._Peacepipe.pdf

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Very good quality construction and finish. Nicely saturated topsheet colors. Smooth, soft forebody flex through the rockered section leading to a gradually-stiffening and longer-radius midbody and tail. Good rebound response and vibration dampening. Overall impression is of a friendly-flexing fat ski with sporty rebound.

Mfr Comments:

Peace Pipe Description

You love being out of bounds, charging big open slopes in deep snow. Sometimes this means you climb but you love that too. Your ski needs to be strong and solid on windblown hard sections and even groomers when you’re skiing runouts. You want the most versatile wide ski you can get. Most of all you want the ultimate tool for going fast on the steeps and in the deep. Speed Range: 7-10

Features- The 115mm waist and 14.43M turn radius provide the best planing and turn shape for actually carving turns in powder and soft spring velvet. The Pow Camber has the most early rise and reverse sidecut in the tip for effortless, catch-free skiing in all snow conditions, even heavy crud. The Razor Cut sidecut gives this wide ski incredible edge grip on the hardest snow.

Test Conditions:

Powder (shin deep), cut-up powder, packed powder and hardpack surfaces, very cold, dry snow. No really steep-and-deep or big-mountain terrain.

Test Results:

I immediately fell in love with the Ramp Peacepipe after the first two turns in tight Easten trees with shin-deep fresh powder. Ridiculously easy handling, nimble, forgiving, sporty and FUN. I tested the 179cm version, which is shorter than normal for a rockered ski for me (I would prefer the 189cm). Bumps and cut-up powder terrain were fun and easy to navigate at slow to moderate speeds (I did not get a chance to ride truly hi gh-speed, steep terrain). Exiting onto the groomers from the trees, the Peacepipe was willing and able to grab the groomed surfaces at low and pull-your-ticket speeds with a simple roll up on edge. The grip was remarkably secure for a 115mm waisted ski, and had a definite bias to pressuring the ski from the ball of the foot back toward the tail for maximum edgehold. Ramp bills this ski as "Most of all you want the ultimate tool for going fast on the steeps and in the deep. Speed Range: 7-10". I found the hand-flex and handling of of the Peacepipe to be compliant and super-friendly, not burly as some big-mountain skis designed for high-speed, high-pressure situations feel. Ramp assured me the Peacepipe is regarded by pro skiers as an excellent big-mountain charger, but I didn't have the terrain to test its handling in those conditions, so we'll have to wait for more reviews from sites with big terrain. The Peacepipe's wood and fiberglass sandwich construction was nicely balanced with sporty responsiveness and appropriate dampness to maintain control and quiet behavior on harder surfaces. I found the Peacepipe immediately fun and I began to point it at any surface or terrain to see how it handled, and had a grin no matter where I went. That says a lot about a ski. Fit and finish were very good, and the skis are very light for their size due to a thin vertical profile and poplar core. The Peacepipe is an excellent choice for all-kinds of terrain and provides a really fun, sporty ride with very little effort by the skier. Add this to an above-average hard-snow security underfoot for a 115mm waisted ski priced at around $650 delivered, and you have a serious contender for the fat ski market. If you buy a binding with your skis, Ramp extends the warranty to two years. New brand for 2011.

Analogies:
    (this ski is like...)

Trusty jacknife for nearly any job on the hill. Favorite tools you'd really miss if you lost them.

Things You Would Change About This Ski:

Nothing.

Short Answer When Someone Asks "What Do You Think About This Ski?":

Great fun and amazingly easy to handle in nearly any terrain (but I did not ski it on big-mountain surfaces). Playful with an impressive grip on firm snow. I would buy a pair.

Advice To People Considering This Ski:

Try a pair on your most frequented terrain to see if it handles the way you want.

Tip rocker profile of Ramp Peacepipe.

From left to right on this side of the rack:
    Frenzy (no graphics) - 2 pairs
    Hula
    Chicadee - 2 pairs
    Woodecker - 2 pairs
    Beaver
    Groundhog
    Peacepipe
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Ramp Sports - Groundhog / Beaver 2011
    131-100-119mm r=22m@179cm

Ramp Sports Groundhog 179cm

Manufacturer Info:

Ramp Sports
    2750 Rasmussen Rd. Suite 103
    Park City, Utah, 84098
    1-888-406-0567
    http://www.rampsports.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$875 ($699 "street price" on the website)
    Sales in 2011 are direct-to-consumer only, no dealers
    Applying the "insider" deal code (free if you sign up at the website) applies 18.5% discount for final price of $573. Free shipping.

Usage Class:

All-Mountain High Performance

Your Rating (with comments): (1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

8+ for powder, 8 on-piste for its width. (see test results for details)
    Note: This limited test did not test the ski in "big mountain" terrain, but in Eastern trees with fresh, shin-deep powder, cut-up powder, packed powder and hardpack groomers (no crud, no crust, no windblown).

Summary:

Very solid all-mountain ski with a bias toward higher speeds and slightly rearward edging pressure. Capable of high-performance turns in a wide variety of terrain and surfaces, demonstrating a preference for GS-style turns on groomed surfaces. Strong ski with above-average grip and damp behavior on firm surfaces for about $573 delivered to your door.

Technical Ski Data:

Wood-core, fiberglass, full-wrap edge ski construction. No metal layers. The "50-50 camber" design has medium-plus early rise and reverse sidecut in the tip, 200 rise in a strong tail. Targeted at 50% powder, 50% groomers.

Techsheets for Groundhog / Beaver:
    http://www.rampsports.com/store/media/specs/Ramp_Tech_Data_Groundhog.pdf
    http://www.rampsports.com/store/media/specs/Ramp_Tech_Data_Beaver.pdf

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Very good quality construction and finish. Nicely saturated topsheet colors. Progressive flex and good torsional strength without feeling like a "pro-stock" ski. Fairly lightweight for its size. Thin vertical profile. Good rebound response and vibration dampening. Overall impression is of a strong ski. I wish the groundhog was on the front portion of the skii so I could see it all the time. Appears to be the same geometry and construction as the Beaver model for women.

Mfr. Comment:

Groundhog Description:
    You crave the one-ski quiver. Wherever you go, whatever the conditions, your ski needs to be dialed. One run you’re skiing powder in the trees or in the sidecountry, the next run you’re making high-speed GS turns on a steep hard groomer. With the Groundhog you can do both with ease. And one more thing, no speed limit. Speed Range: 6-10

Beaver Description
    The hard-charging girl who wants one ski to do it all rocks the Beaver. Last run you found untracked in your tree stash, next run you’re going to air them out on a groomer. A girl has a right to change her mind. Any snow surface, any speed and you’re dialed! June, you can’t be too hard on this Beaver. Speed Range: 6-10

Features-The 100mm waist is the perfect platform for every snow surface. The 50%-50% Camber makes this ski catch-free and effortless with the ability to hook up and carve high-speed turns. The Razor Cut sidecut gives this wide ski incredible edge grip on the hardest snow.

Test Conditions:

Powder (shin deep), cut-up powder, packed powder and hardpack surfaces, very cold, dry snow. No really steep-and-deep or big-mountain terrain.

Test Results:

I skied the Groundhog immediately after skiing the larger Peacepipe (146-115-134 ), and on the same terrain. Ramp's "50-50 camber" design for this ski gives it a more traditional feel than the "powder rocker" design of the Peacepipe, making it more of a charger-type ski since it feels stronger underfoot and more grippy and directional. It is easy to change directions, even in tight trees, and feels longer in 179cm than the same length Peacepipe. Bumps and undulations in terrain are fed back to the driver in a good way, and the Groundhog does not deflect from its path. Intermediates will want to demo the Groundhog in two sizes to make sure it's won't feel too long for them. The Groundhog is a strong ski, and being 100mm underfoot, likes to be driven. While it does not feel like a "pro" version of a ski in this category, it is not a fluffy fat ski. It's aimed at high-performance skiing and rewards a strong technical skier with a secure and stable ride across variable terrain. This pair I tested was in excellent condition, recently ground, tuned and waxed, but I had the distinct feeling that when I went straight, rolled the skis up on edge and applied pressure, I ended up going straight, on edge, under pressure. The Groundhog did not automatically hook-up and start turning as I expected. After speaking with Mike at Ramp Sports about this feeling, we both decided it was probably due to the state of detuning of the rockered portion of the forebody since no one had ever reported this behavior from the Groundhog before and I felt the same issue with the slightly narrower Woodpecker (see that review). The new generation of rockered-cambered skis are definitely sensitive to forebody tuning when rolled-up on edge, and I'm confident some tuning could bring the carving behavior back to the ski's potential. People should know the Groundhog has a serious ability to hold a very strong edge on groomed surfaces. The strongest grip comes from the arch of the foot to the tail, just like the narrower Woodpecker. The "Razor edge" design has a relatively straight section of sidecut from the arch of the foot area back to the rear binding tail mount section, then resumes a more curvy sidecut to finish the last portion of the ski. This appears to definitely provide a strong gripping behavior when you pressure it, more than most other brands of skis with similar dimensions. You can ride the Groundhog at "pull-your-ticket" speeds with no fear of washout or wobble, while retaining an easy-to-drift personality when needed. Think of it as an all-mountain high-speed tool for people who prefer soft snow to groomed surfaces. If you buy bindings with your skis, Ramp extends the warranty to two years. New brand for 2011.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

High performance touring wagon you can drive nearly anywhere at moderate-to-high speeds.

Things You Would Change About This Ski:

I would experiment with tuning to get the on-edge performance more dialed in.

Short Answer When Someone Asks "What Do You Think About This Ski?":

Strong all-mountain ski for enthusiastic skiers.

Advice To People Considering This Ski:

Try a pair on your most frequented terrain to see if it handles the way you want.

Tip rocker profile of Ramp Groundhog.

Vertical profile of Ramp Groundhog

From left to right on this side of the rack:
    Frenzy (no graphics) - 2 pairs
    Hula
    Chicadee - 2 pairs
    Woodecker - 2 pairs
    Beaver
    Groundhog
    Peacepipe
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Great Review

Think I may give them a shot

I was looking at 'em until I picked up some of the new Volkl Bridges last night. I'll have to see if they have any demos when I head out west this year.
    Gravity. It's the law.