Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2035
    if Andyski is peeping in here, good meeting you yesterday on Shasta! thanks for the ski advice.

since I'm posting in here ... it's a cascade and at what I guess would be the bottom foot of the PNW ... Shasta's skiing is incredible right now down to about 10K. Below 9K it's pretty rotten and we were able to ski pretty much from the summit down to 6900' at Bunny Flat but the lower trail is about to burn out. 160cm of snow at 9K, I didn't measure the depth up higher but that snow is about as smooth as any corn in April anywhere!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

FYI a summary: One can still ski from the car at the hairpin. It's very jungle-like at Blue Lake TH, if that's your sort of thing, (ain't mine). If you ski Madison Ave. stay skiers right to avoid nasty down-climbing. But still easy climbing and great skiing at WA pass. Mrs. P in slot couloir yesterday:
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Baker was killer this weekend. Ran into three other groups - one solo (thanks for the update regarding finding the bear kill), one couple, and an OLD couple (70's? Good on 'em). That Houndin' video is killer.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Koots/Karter, you are a very good skier. Nice video.

How do chicks dig the 'stache/flavor-saver?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Will, sorry to hear you guys got pea souped. We went E to the Entiats for 3 days. Had a couple very nice tours, worth the long ass carry. Andy fucked up his eye Friday so couldn't join us. Long story.
    Sorry to hear about Andy, I hope he'll be okay.

I've been wanting to get up Maude/7FJ/Carne Mt. high route for awhile. Good work!
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^WTF? So weak. Go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    X2 - Vid was a complete waste of time...
    Go away, and stop associating snowtroopers with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    WTF was that? Keep your spam to yourself, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by koots View Post
    So you are gonna take cracks at Eckels for posting a video ... Sure there is a lot of "extra crap" in that snowtroopers vid, but maybe you should be more effective and send an email or something with that criticism.
    Bit of a misunderstanding folks. Eckels messed up the embedding link in his post trying to use HTML embedding code with TGR's streaming player. TGR's webserver actually substituted the clickapp advertisement since it couldn't understand the vimeo reference. Everyone can simmer down now, the Eckels vid was nice. Here's his fixed post!

Quote Originally Posted by Eckels View Post
    Took a trip up to Washington Pass last Wednesday and skied around the blue lake col and early winter spires.

http://thesnowtroopers.com/2011/wash...ry-15th-61511/

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Schralph, I figured he did it wrong, 11 posts and all, so I went to the website and saw the 7:17 long vid, hmmmmm. Clicked on it and saw scenery shots of Teanaway valley, bison, and the Methow.

He may be a nice guy, whatever, but that was too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    if Andyski is peeping in here, good meeting you yesterday on Shasta! thanks for the ski advice.

since I'm posting in here ... it's a cascade and at what I guess would be the bottom foot of the PNW ... Shasta's skiing is incredible right now down to about 10K. Below 9K it's pretty rotten and we were able to ski pretty much from the summit down to 6900' at Bunny Flat but the lower trail is about to burn out. 160cm of snow at 9K, I didn't measure the depth up higher but that snow is about as smooth as any corn in April anywhere!
    Good talking with you. The ski down Avy Gulch was perfection to just below 10k, but I'm not going to bitch about the snow down low when you can still ski to the car . South Sister was sweet yesterday, too. The snow on the high volcanoes up and down the range seems to be just about prime. Picked a good week to go on the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckels
    . . . skied around the blue lake col and early winter spires
    Gee, somebody ought to get that route a name. It could become a classic

That sequence coming down between S and Middle EWS is cool, and definitely not part of the BDT . . .

Well, if that's what he meant to post then good job!

yeah, the lead-in's a bit long but what the heck. My attention span isn't that short and I particularly liked the part where the dog fetches the camera. My dog would never do that. I'd say the lead-in gives a good taste of what traveling to the N. Cascades is like. Actual skiing begins at 2:15 with a break around 3:40 to show a guy filtering water that was running off of snow down some rocks. I dunno, I would've drank that stuff straight, it doesn't get much cleaner than that. Pretty good video overall, for what my opinion's worth.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

I guess this is as good a place as any. The first mention I know of the BDT was in Sally Portman's book, so I figure she gets credit for naming it, (or not). BTW, stop in Winthrop, throw some money around, and visit her at the library and say hi. She is a great lady. Anyway, Blue lake TH never enters into the trip. It has always been a way up, of course, but since the avalanche a few years ago, clearing out the jungle, it's become a freeway. Therefore, when people say the BDT, I just assume they start at the BL TH. For me, it means they're going down Madison Ave. no matter where they start.

Always interested in TNT's video's and Karter's exploits, that includes Poppoff as well.
    Got to support the hommies.

So... Sorry for the misunderstanding with regard to the imbedded video. The low post count, plus spam nature of the imbed with the link to snowtroopers distracted me. Look, a squirrel!

I guess this is as good a place as any. The first mention I know of the BDT was in Sally Portman's book, so I figure she gets credit for naming it, (or not). BTW, stop in Winthrop, throw some money around, and visit her at the library and say hi. She is a great lady. Anyway, Blue lake TH never enters into the trip. It has always been a way up, of course, but since the avalanche a few years ago, clearing out the jungle, it's become a freeway. Therefore, when people say the BDT, I just assume they start at the BL TH. For me, it means they're going down Madison Ave. no matter where they start.
    I'd like to try the route in that book , it looks a bit more adventurous at the beginning.

Ah, I haven't looked at the book for years. That's how we did my first BDT, i.e., by the book.

Hmmm...isn't it getting a little late in the season for TBDT?

Wanted to post a route photo of my first "big" (for me) line while touring since this board helped me figure out my gear & a couple of nice people took me out when I started touring (thanks.) And because the PNW Snow Stoke area seems to be getting a little cluttered by semantics...

That said, the snow was shitty and I think Rainier's basically done for the season (at least for me.)
    Last edited by jesski; 07-06-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Rainier's the easiest place to get your August - October turns in if your going for TAY! Just hike up to Muir. I might even do it this year, but for August I have this stupid idea of trying to find some crappy snow finger in a gulley somewhere near a highway and skiing that. Plenty of July turns left. Going to try Baker again next weekend and hitting Chinook Pass for a couple of days the weekend of the 23rd, if there's any snow left by then.

a friend and I headed up to climb the becky route on liberty bell yesterday. We were able to skin from the car all the way to the base of the chute, and able to ski back down from the height of the chute (where the climb starts). I'm told that snow conditions don't usually allow this, so I figured I'd pass on the beta in case anyone wanted to repeat it.... also the climb is mellow and super fun. I realized on the way in that it was the first thing i've ever climbed that I couldn't have just found an easier way to the top of.

Going to try Baker again next weekend and hitting Chinook Pass for a couple of days the weekend of the 23rd, if there's any snow left by then.
    Hit the South side of Chinook for a late day, 4th of July shuttle this week, it was pretty sun cupped on that aspect.

Hit Silver for a quick evening skin-n-ski last night. Amazed at how much snow has melted in the last two weeks. It's going fast!

Gonna be up in bellingham tonight and tomorrow. Anyone interested in getting some skiing in or climbing something?

Jesse that's seriously f-ing awesome you got the Success. I've long wanted to ride that line. How was the rock step up high?

What book is that? I'm looking for a touring book for the Baker area.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

http://www.amazon.com/Touring-Methow.../dp/0936289023
    She only wrote 2 books. I have no idea about the Baker area.

......It's still close to 1/2 mi. hike in to the Schreibers Meadow trailhead where the snow is still 2-3ft deep, so yeah, even with the coming warm weather I'm betting there'll be plenty of snow for at least another two weeks.

I'm planning to try again on the 17th if the weather's clear. Maybe sooner if Randy (skier in the pics) can get a day off during the week. We'll go up the Easton this time, there were a couple good sized crevasses on the route we took.

Z-bo, Dromond - thanks.
    Thanks for the info. Shrhalped it up on Sunday. Still good from the top. Couple crevasses below the crater but easy to avoid for now. Much lower down is getting pretty fucked up though. Lots of tree sap/dirt and sticky snow made for dissapointingly slow going on the way out. Thick coating of black shit on the base is no fun. If you go that way wax up and bring a metal scraper and some rubon wax. Wished we had. Also a couple spots on the lower trail seem like they will be melted out soon, although the road is still well-covered. If I were you I would go coleman-deming. Quick ski out still thanks to the big slide that went to just above the TH.

I think I'm done for the season. Been a great year and a great (but late) mini-spring on the volcanhoes. Managed shasta, shastina, hood, rainier, and baker in the last couple months. Most were repeats for me and some took a couple tries this year. Not impressive by todays standards but okay with me and my battered knees.

So sayonara bitches. See you next year. Surfs up!