Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Hatcher was sweet last year.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

have hope winter will happen someday
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Winter is making a strong push in the Juneau Area. A little birdie told me Eaglecrest will be opening some funner terrain this weekend.

Don't you run EC Bluebird? in case you haven't vote for EC everybody, folks in JNU are probably distracted by powder

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/cre...vs-eaglecrest/

Is anyone heading to Alyeska from East Anchorage feeling generous? I need a ride

I may head there tomorrow morning. Haven't decided yet. Depends how much snow flies.

my crew is heading to Juneau 17 and 18. if the hill isn't open will tour both days. anyone want to show us around?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    my crew is heading to Juneau 17 and 18. if the hill isn't open will tour both days. anyone want to show us around?
    as in Dec 17-18? EC will definitely be closed as its Tuesday-Wed. Open on Thursday though. Lets hope we pick up some decent snow out of the snow showers the next couple of days.

Anybody have any insight on how the AAS Avy1 course compares to an AIARE 1 course?

I just moved to Anchorage from the lower 48, and have been looking for an AIARE 1 course, but haven't been able to find any that aren't women's specific...and judging by the length of my beard, I don't think I'd qualify for those. I took an AIARE course several years ago and I have some backcountry experience (dug a few pits, but mostly just skied with guys with a lot more experience), as well as lots of beacon/rescue practice and some ski cutting on avy routes in bounds(via work). That being said, I don't have a ton of confidence in reading terrain/route selection. I'd like to participate in a full blown class before challenging the Chugach, and making a few touring buddies in the class would be a plus! Any recommendations/insight would be much appreciated!

AAS won't steer you wrong. Good group of people with a lot of experience.

Agreed with above on AAS. Bill won't let a moment go by in silence.
    Drive slow, homie.

Skied Magnum today, signs of instability everywhere. Collapsing, whompfing, shooting cracks, etc. Skier triggered slide on the depth hoar, propagated ~ 150 meters:

Hows your season going now?

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Nobody wants to talk about it, and we aren't keeping happy secrets.

Buddy wants to get out with me tomorrow afternoon, which would limit us to front range /ER due to daylight. Everybody I've talked to hasn't bothered due to conditions so no info available.

Anyone been out close to town in past week?

Ran up for quick afternoon hit at artic Valley, up to the saddle back of the valley and up Gordon lyon. it was mostly just good for a workout. Was surprised to see the ski club lifts turning when we got there.

Supportable crust, typically 1-2" on almost everything, with some fluff on top.. Every once in a while, more N/NE aspects had some softer stuff that hadn't really slabbed up hard yet.

We need more snow.

On the bright side I crushed some sick facet pillows on the neighbors retaining Wall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0393.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	711.7 KB 
ID:	148374

Yeah I'm desperate. Really want snow. Maybe change in pattern this week?
    Last edited by flyman683; 01-12-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Silly Picture no work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Eaglecrest has 140 inches at the top. #1 in North America. I would assume that Haines is doing even better, they are looking to have a pretty good spring.

This was a couple weeks ago, and there is plenty more snow now.

Oh Eaglecrest, how I miss you....

Pattern change coming... everyone get ready for the January rain storm!

Had two surprisingly good days in Tincan trees this weekend. No signs of instability down low - maybe cause everyone has already been everywhere. Some suspicious shearing right at treeline, could see a few recent slides through the clouds higher up. Minimal buried raincrust at the bottom.

Looks like mid and upper at Alyeska have held out and stayed below freezing... Maybe it'll hold until tomorrow night and make tomorrow worth a trip down?

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Looks like mid and upper at Alyeska have held out and stayed below freezing... Maybe it'll hold until tomorrow night and make tomorrow worth a trip down?
    Today was fresh refills all day. Stopped snowing around 5pm. should be good tomorrow. Unless it rains to 4000' tonight...

Cheap tickets to Anchorage right now for the 3-day weekend, having a little trouble deciphering the weather, looks warm....worth flying up?

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    Cheap tickets to Anchorage right now for the 3-day weekend, having a little trouble deciphering the weather, looks warm....worth flying up?
    Nope... Still looks like october out there

Nuts....

Stupid weather stations haven't updated since 2pm. Trying to decide if skipping work is worth it - will probably bring gear in and decide at work.

Carp, if you figure out where rain levels stopped and want to pm/post in the morning that'd be rad.