Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Revelstoke or Whistler?

I want to spend next Dec and Jan in Canada and these are my two choices. Just wondering how the two mountains compare in terms of snowfall that time of year?

Thank You for any input.

Why arw these your only two options?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Snowfall? Whistler, generally, gets more snow with more stable, coastal conditions for backcountry. That said, it can swing either way. This year Whistler is #2 for all time snow for its records. Last year it was near the bottom. So it goes. As for cost, Whistler is much, much more expensive than Revy. That said, Whistler has that much more atmosphere and shit to do if the riding sucks.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

okay, somebody should start a "Saskatoon vs Regina" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Why arw these your only two options?
    I want to buy a pass for one of these mountains and kinda be a home base, but I'm also gonna check out other mountains.

Thanks for the input

I would suggest Revy for the simple fact that there are far less people there on most days compared to Whistler.

The terrain and snow are pretty fantastic there as well. I only got 8 days there this year but there was fresh snow on nearly every one of them.

And if you want to explore Revy is in the middle of somewhere......

Revelstoke

Whistler is fun for sure, great skiing, awesome town vibe ect. But the fact that it has a lot going on can often been its downfall. Revvy is smaller and less populated, so you'll probably get fresh tracks for longer and have less people on the mountain. The terrain of both is really sick though. IMO you can't go wrong with either.

I'd check out Red Mountain personally.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    okay, somebody should start a "Saskatoon vs Regina" thread.
    Winnipeg! Manitoba > Saskatchewan

http://www.skilouise.com/rocky-mountain-passport.aspx

Follow the snow with the Rocky Mountain Passport, offering unlimited lift access to eight Canadian resorts. So no matter where the snow is, you can be there too.

Your Rocky Mountain Passport season pass includes:

* Skiing & riding at Mt. Norquay, The Lake Louise Ski Area, Sunshine Village, Nakiska, Fernie Alpine Resort, Kimberly Alpine Resort, Panorama Mountain Village and Marmot Basin

usually $1500ish
    just storm chase, and check out a few hills.

Whistler is huge and has shit tons in a smaller area. The nightlife is fucking awesome. It can also be a shit show. If you can't get laid in Whistler then you have problems.

Revelstoke has a shit ton of options. Kicking Horse is day tripable, Rogers Pass is very close by. Way less people. More options for other (good) resorts close by to sample.

For a home base to sample a good variety of ski towns and storm chase I would personally pick Revy.

If you're going for the best skiing go to Revelstoke
    If you're going for other shit go to Whistler.

For the record, I'm hoping to move to Revvy next winter.

whistler has the best scene they even got the TV show about the scene ,and most days there will be literaly thousands of people with you on the slopes who can't ski

revy is a whole different scene and close to otehr options ,I would like to go back ... whereas I couldnt wait to leave whistler

Go to Revy, it's way more betters.

paging John C to the big pyramid scam thread...

def Revy
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

def Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    paging John C to the big pyramid scam thread...
    now that I have been paged as the only one on this forum that has a clue....

Revelstoke is totally awesome if you like your runs 600 vertical feet long and ending in thick timber just when you're gettin your groove on. Unless of course you count traversing, moguls, and sloppy poorly cut kinda groomed runs that run into the rain line as part of your experience? There is some great high alpine terrain, it's only an hour up the pass or a small fortune in snowmobile costs away. Revy does have a great real estate office and most likely the only hot chick within 2 hours works there. They had to import her from Australia. Plus McKenzie for some reason doesn't get much snow? Any thoughts on why this is? Everywhere else around there seems to get pounded but McKenzie is yet to break the 300 inch mark?
    http://www.revelstokemountainresort....ow-Report.html

I mean really? Kicking horse has far superior terrain and slackcountry and has matched McKenzie every year?
    http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/cu...onditions.aspx

They built that place in the snow shadow of the Monashees I think, and on a mountain that has no natural glading. This is quite an accomplishment, finding the worst mountain in interior BC then blowing a few hundred million on it.....nice work 260 inches on marginal terrain sucks.

Golden has more skiing options and a super gnarly hill.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

well said. There is a reason there are no photos like these from Reveljunk. Cuz this kind of terrain doesn't exist off McKenzie. Anyone claiming differently is a tool.
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189932"]TR ... Just your average day at Kicking Horse slack-country - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

And it is clear that McKenzie gets meager snowfall. Numbers don't lie so anecdotal ranting about the deep pow you skied there holds no water. I skied deep pow once at Tremblant. Doesn't mean it's a deep powder mountain. As well most folks riding Revy are so green, deep powder in their book is ankle deep mush. And big mountain riding means they're riding a small mountain looking at a Big Mountain on the other side of the valley.

Revelstoke is the most overrated, overhyped mountain north of Silverton. It might go up a couple of notches if/when they build some other lifts and it isn't a giant traverse every run. If you really want to go interior, Golden is the place to be. But W/B>KH

revy is very overrated as far as inbounds terrain is concerned. i was there for two days and got bored, i would never spend a season there or if i did i'd probably spend most of my time at rogers pass which is 45 minutes away. can't say much about the snow because we didn't get any. w/b will definitely keep you very busy for two months, there's no where else in canada that even comes close to the amount of alpine terrain w/b has. and while some don't like the village i think it's great. it's always very lively and no matter where you live you're always a short walk or bus ride to the gondola. if i was going to spend a season somewhere other than w/b, it would be kicking horse. i had two days there and wished i had a week. it has more steep terrain than anywhere, including w/b. the sidecountry ridges look amazing. rogers pass is an hour away, lake louise is an hour away, sunshine village is an hour and a half away. the lift setup is a bit wonky and golden isn't the most charming town in the world but for two months who cares..

how fuckin boring. Everyone agrees with me? I thought Reveljunk was the second coming of Jackkson Hole. What? did everyone finally actually go ski the place and realize it sucked? Here's how I would rate em up. Excluding Whistler/Blackcomb as it is clearly the best but a beast of it's own and a total gong show.
    1. Kicking Horse
    2. Castle
    3. tie Fernie and Red
    5. Shames
    6. Whitewater
    7. Marmot
    8. Sunshine
    9. Lake Louise
    last place reveljoke
    lastest place Panorama

disclaimer : canadians and coloradoans don't read this

It depends on what you like to do. if you like skiing MULTIPLE LONG powder runs, like I do, you'll probably be sorely disappointed, like I was. I started skiing in New Mexico and worked my way up to Colorado and then to Utah in 2002 and this winter skiing Revy was like going back to small mountain type skiing.

265 inches snowfall is the leanest year I've skied since 1998. 2nd lowest year was winter park 1999-2000 (341 inches). So basically this winter was WORSE than going back to Colorado, which I didn't think was possible.
    The vibe here is an afflictive cohesion of aggro slednecks, condescending proprietary locals who have yet to come to grips with a new ski area, and australians.

hope that was helpful; i would have loved to read that last year