Magic lantern on a 5D: documentation sucks, what does the intervalometer do?

dfinn: I'm lookin at you but anyone else who has this firmware.......ensmarten me.

The unified magic lantern software (the version that goes on every camera BUT the 5Dmk2) has a bulb ramping intervalometer.

I can't find any mention of this on the 5Dmk2 version. In fact it looks like the 5d version is pretty neutered compared to the unified one.

But for you non-timelapse geeks, bulb ramping is changing the exposure time while in bulb mode, to follow changes in light (think sunrise/sunset) at a smooth calculated pace so that scenes maintain exposure with not abrupt jumps. The version on the cheaper cameras has this. I'm trying to figure out if the 5D version does.

Thanks!

Mine does not have it and I'm running a pretty recent version for the 5d2, I think it was a feb release. I have used that a couple times on my t2i and it's pretty cool.

They are supposed to release a unified version soon that includes the 5d2 so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the near future.

If you really want to know, there's a forum on vimeo that is pretty active and the main developer for ML posts on there on a regular basis.

So you finally dropped in on one?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    So you finally dropped in on one?
    Not yet. The ML thing is a make or break for how many shutter actuations I'm willing to live with on a used one. Half of what I shoot is timelapses so to have a bulb ramping, full frame slr in addition to another video camera would be nice.

You might check this out woo.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-camera-remote

If you have a 5D2 with the newest firmware, ML won't work. I tried to put it on mine and had to pull the battery to turn the camera back on.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Is that kid who's doing the talking on acid? Holy crap he creeps me out.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Lane Meyer (remember that guy?) was working on the exact same thing.

I can't help but notice they didn't go over the bulb ramping in the video. That's the bitch and that's the part that's the biggest deal.

I makes me think they haven't done it yet.

Thanks for the link.

And thanks for the heads up on the 5Dmk2 firmware deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    You might check this out woo.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-camera-remote

If you have a 5D2 with the newest firmware, ML won't work. I tried to put it on mine and had to pull the battery to turn the camera back on.
    I guess that's kind of cool but ML gives you all of that for free.

edit: wow, yeah, that kid is creepy.

Hey D, have you seen the little Bramper?

It's by FAR the best way to do bulb ramping because it's based on rates of change you enter while watching histograms. The ML from what I can tell runs off the light meter in the camera. That's lame. When a cloud passes in a timelapse it SHOULD get dark for a little while. The automated stuff just makes your video flicker like a beyotch. Pretty bummed ML hasn't done something better.

Unfortunately those Bramper units break. I'm about to order my second one.

I haven't, I'll have to check it out.

Kid is totally creepy. That's why I think it will work so well. I'm going to try it. I'm interested in the lightning detection that they're adding, and the 9 shot HDR mode. That and my wife beat the ever living shit out of her last phone to the point it's not worth trying to sell, so I have a dedicated phone I can just keep in my bag.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I'm interested in the lightning detection that they're adding,
    You don't want that for timelapse videos other than setting up the initial shot. Trust me.