Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    My Dad died of an Brain Aneurysm 1.5 years ago. He tripped on a stair and bonked his head on the railing, thought nothing of it and went home with a bump on his noggin, laughing at his clumsiness. The next day he couldn't move. 2 weeks later we took him off life support.

RIP Natasha Richardson. You were a beautiful, talented woman who was enjoying the sport I love when this freak accident occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    you are a complete FUCKING imbecile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    agree!
    someone I know fell in the bath, hit her head on the tiles and poof. It doesnt take much to knock stuff out.
    I was googling for other deaths on beginner trails but couldnt find anything else. anyone else?

From the AP

"NEW YORK – Tony-winning actress Natasha Richardson died of a brain injury after falling on a ski slope, an autopsy found Thursday.
    The cause of death was epidural hematoma (bleeding between the skull and the brain's covering), said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner's office. The death was ruled an accident.
    Richardson, 45, died Wednesday at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan after falling at the Mont Tremblant resort in Quebec on Monday.

Yves Coderre, director of operations at the emergency services company that sent the medics to the Mont Tremblant resort, told The Globe and Mail newspaper Wednesday that ski patrollers requested an ambulance after Richardson fell.
    The paramedics who responded were told they were not needed, said Coderre, whose company, Ambulances Radisson, serves Mont Tremblant, about 80 miles northwest of Montreal
    "They never saw the patient," Coderre told The Globe and Mail. "So they turned around."
    Coderre said another ambulance was called later to Richardson's luxury hotel. By that point, her condition had gotten worse and she was rushed to a hospital.
    It wasn't immediately clear who sent the first ambulance away or why, but a resort spokeswoman said Tuesday that Richardson initially said that she was fine.
    Richardson then said she didn't feel well and had a headache, said Catherine Lacasse, public relations supervisor at the resort on Tuesday. "So, we sent her to the hospital.'
    The resort also issued a statement Tuesday that said Richardson didn't appear hurt and was walking around shortly after the incident.
    "She did not show any visible sign of injury but the ski patrol followed strict procedures and brought her back to the bottom of the slope and insisted she should see a doctor," the resort said.
    The ski resort said the instructor and a ski patroller accompanied the actress to her hotel, where they again recommended she should be seen by a doctor.
    Coderre said victims of head trauma often believe they are fine, a mistake that can cost them their lives.
    "When you have a head trauma you can bleed. It can deteriorate in a few hours or a few days," he told the newspaper.
    She was eventually moved to a Montreal hospital before being transferred to New York.
    Messages left by The Associated Press with Coderre at Ambulances Radisson were not immediately returned. Lacasse at Mont Tremblant declined to comment further."
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Second, I'm guessing she had a 'lucid interval' commonly associated with epidural hematomas. They are produced by arterial bleeding and can be very nasty and often fatal. Fatal and nasty I guess can go in the same sentence. A common injury is the site of the head with rupture of the MMA (middle meningeal artery).

Subdural hematomas are far more common and with a lower fatality rate but not associate with a lucid interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurodoc View Post
    It's possible to have a "lucid interval" with a SDH as well as a EDH.
    So, what to do, then? I've banged my head pretty good several times in the last couple of years, but felt OK (had a little tingling in some part of my body one time) and just continued skiing. It seems overkill to end the day and go to the hospital every time you bang your head. So, are you just at the mercy of the fates? Or are there signs that indicate that something serious might be happening (e.g., if a headache comes on, go to the hospital)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

Slurred speech is a telltale sign that there is something going on.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstocksez View Post
    So, what to do, then? I've banged my head pretty good several times in the last couple of years, but felt OK (had a little tingling in some part of my body one time) and just continued skiing. It seems overkill to end the day and go to the hospital every time you bang your head. So, are you just at the mercy of the fates? Or are there signs that indicate that something serious might be happening (e.g., if a headache comes on, go to the hospital)?
    My question too. I mean this is just scary shit. Who DOESN'T hit their head hard every once in a while.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

I need to clear a few things up here.

1. It is standard SOP by the ski patrol here that all head injury's be advised to go to the hospital. The Patrol did that.

2. The ski instructor did stay with her for one hour at the hotel room. She did call the Rescue Squad after one hour. Ms. Richardson refused treatment. Then her assistant basically took over.

The Intrawest "Ski Patrol" and "Ski Instructor" did everything right FYI

3. There is a clinic right across the street from the Hotel She was staying at with Doctors on Staff as well FYI. Only 200' away infact FYI

4. 2 1/2 hours after the first Rescue Squad was refused upon arrival another was called. This was the one that transported her to the St Agathe Hospital.

That is the only factual information I have other than the slope conditions that day.

But this was an accident. It could of happened to anybody. No conspiracy. Just a poor lady that thought she had a bump on the head and it turned out sad. My thoughts, prayers, and hopes go to the family. Peace be with them.
    Last edited by TJ.Brk; 03-21-2009 at 11:01 PM.