Best type of SD card for recording/shooting HD video?

Looking for recommendations on this for using with a Go Pro Hero2. I'm looking at different "classes" of cards. I read a class 10 is recommended but I have no idea what the difference is. I also didn't know how the mb/s affected video playback and recording. Also, I'm unsure about how much video I can fit on a 16 vs. 32 gb card. The last thing I want to do is buy a card and realize it works like garbage with the camera.

Thanks.

I use 8gb and get 1 hour at 60fps with HD. It's on contour but specs are same. Good cards cost more. I usually carry an extra but if I turn it on and off it's fine for a day. Just don't scrimp and get high quality card. Contour site has a list of rec cards and brands on their site
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I was going to make fun of you for not searching and how easy it would be to find this information but I've been warned if I am mean I will be banned from this forum.

Posted this from the app that just crashed on an iPhone 4S.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I was going to make fun of you for not searching and how easy it would be to find this information but I've been warned if I am mean I will be banned from this forum.

Posted this from the app that just crashed on an iPhone 4S.
    I did search and found no relevant info.

i asked this when i bought my drift hd and the reply was that there were no problems with a cheap class 4 card.

so i bought a sandisk 32GB class 4. not tested in use yet tho...

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I did search and found no relevant info.
    I would like to say the search function has been broke for months but that might get me in trouble with the admins as well.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

previous HD gopro was class 6 or higher
    watch out for snakes

From GoPro: "Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m"

So do are you fine with ~2hrs of full quality on a 16gb or do you want a full day/couple days worth?

The class ratings refer to MB/second write (ie. record) speed. These are the minimum level the card will write at, but they can (and usually) go faster. I would stick to at least Class 6, but for the price, I think Class 10 is a no-brainer to get the best minimum performance in all conditions.

Also, check the reviews on your card and go with a reputable brand or model. Most brands have "lifetime warranties," but that doesn't matter if the contacts have scratched off on day 2 and you're not able to use the footage on your card that "can be replaced."

As stated, class 6 or 10....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    From GoPro: "Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m"

So do are you fine with ~2hrs of full quality on a 16gb or do you want a full day/couple days worth?

The class ratings refer to MB/second write (ie. record) speed. These are the minimum level the card will write at, but they can (and usually) go faster. I would stick to at least Class 6, but for the price, I think Class 10 is a no-brainer to get the best minimum performance in all conditions.

Also, check the reviews on your card and go with a reputable brand or model. Most brands have "lifetime warranties," but that doesn't matter if the contacts have scratched off on day 2 and you're not able to use the footage on your card that "can be replaced."
    Gold. Thanks man, just the info I wanted.