Old Wives Tales for Winter Snow, What's in Your Neck of the Woods?

With all this La Nina/El Nino banter I prefer the good old fashioned wives tales to rely on this winter's predictions. (mostly because I live in the San Juans) We've been skiing already, but now is Indian Summer again and people are wondering what in the hell this winter will bring. I know there have been some crazy things in nature around here lately, tons of bees, spiders, lots of pine-cones on the trees so I'm hoping its a big winter here. I know it's hokey, but people have been interested in the Unofficial post . And this is a lot of F-ing pine-cones...

Something is up. What are your observations?

the gentian plants are growing tall in france, and they have lots of bees also...good signs according my bro overseas...all i know is 1. that is a lot of pine cones, 2. telluride is due, and 3. i will now sacrifice a few more brain cells to ullr and hope for a big year in that lovely town...

Quote Originally Posted by changodeoro View Post
    2. telluride is due, and 3. i will now sacrifice a few more brain cells to ullr and hope for a big year in that lovely town...
    x2 for that sentiment! Might be time to plan a return visit!
    The Passion is in the Risk

i work at a ski shop in Ludlow, VT. at my boss's place, the yellow jackets nest's, are twenty feet off the ground this year! he's an old time vermontah. he believes big snow is coming!
    crab in my shoe mouth

another fabulous winter's on tap for northern new england. there will be snow. there will be surf. tough to go wrong when you can ride pow and perfect winter waves in the same day if you choose. one of the many reasons why some of us new englanders cherish the place.

can't beat this summer weather tho. almost october and surfed for 3 out of 5 hours yesterday in just trunks, in new hampshire, comfortably.

winter will come when it will............

rog

Supposedly, the rowan trees should only bear one heavy load each year, so here (mid Norway) it looks like we´re in for (yet another) shit winter. Will have to travel a little I guess.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

If ya stay hard for longer than 4 hours, it will be a great winter.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

The definitive indicator of the winter ahead is the Woolly Bear caterpillar...thin brown strip = cold and snowy, thick brown stripe = mild and shitty.

I don't know if the sheer number of these means anything, but I've seen tons of them this year...mostly trying to make it across the road.

I'm just hoping it's a really crappy winter for Telluride's #1 Enema Bag Tom Chapman
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

La Nina and El Nino will fight it out and we will win
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I was hiking around 9k a couple of days ago and kept on getting hit in the head with pine cones that the chipmunks were cleaning out of the tree tops. Wasnt quite a downpour, but pretty close.

Edit: Little guy with big bushy tail nearly the size of his body.

When I was a kid, we had a couple Black Walnut trees in our yard. My grandpa used to say that the thicker the green husk on the Black Walnuts the snowier the winter, because nature knew when the walnut needed more protection from the elements.
    Grandpa was usually right.

Sometimes you have to let your bad self ski...