Dynafit TLT speed superlite

Has anybody seen these bindings in the flesh? Hoping to order a pair but they're not available anywhere...

Sport Conrad is usually first in line for new Dynafit product (they were last year for the TLT5P) and they say 2-3 weeks . . .

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/pro...hop/prod/20048

Telemark-Pyrenees is showing some - at least you can get them in your cart . . .

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...0.html?sort=4a

Anyone care to comment on the subtle differences between these and other dynafit bindings?

I'm thinking these are the set-ups I need but I'm a little hesitant about the max 10 DIN setting.

is it worth the extra weight and $$ to get to DIN 12 with these bindings?

If you are interested in minutia of DIN on a Dynafit you ought to be looking at Radical (either ST or FT) or Plum Guides not the Superlite.
    IMHO the superlite is targeted to the rando race and fast and light skimo crowd who want more heel lift options and adjustable DIN vs the race model.
    If you're heavier or more aggressive and wanting/needing 12 DIN these aren't for you.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 10-29-2011 at 10:00 AM.

I just picked up a pair of La Sportiva RT Tech Binding. Nice and light, and MarkH spent the spring on them, so if they held him in...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

The Speed Superlight is a race binding designed to meet next year's rando race regulations, which will forbid bindings that have auto-locking toes and non-adjustable release values. If you can stay in a regular Speed or ST binding now, I don't see why they wouldn't work for regular touring and save a bunch of weight. You should buy a pair and report back.

what he said^^, the speed superlight is roughly half the weight of the ST's.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Speed Superlight is a race binding designed to meet next year's rando race regulations, which will forbid bindings that have auto-locking toes and non-adjustable release values.
    Agreed on the first requirement, but disagreeing on the second requirement, and hence disagreeing on the intended application.
    Excerpt from latest ISMF rules copied below.

Also, Dynafit already has a version compliant for the 2012-13 season:
    http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...2-p-49309.html
    I think t-p is just using the same picture for both the manual version and the auto version:
    http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...2-p-48676.html
    ... so hard to tell any differences.

Quote Originally Posted by A Bunch of Europeans View Post
    It is recommended to use a safety release system in the front part, which will be compulsory from the season 2012-2013.
    For the season 2012-2013, a minimal distance of 4mm will be imposed between the rear part of the boot and the heel piece.
    For the season 2013-2014, the ski stoppers will be compulsory.
    I've already written a comprehensive draft review of the Speed Superlite for WildSnow, but unfortunately my assessment is missing a rather, umm, err, key element, and Dynafit hasn't been returning my emails lately...

Until then, if you want to go full-on race:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/5916/backcou...s-lightweight/

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    . . . I don't see why they wouldn't work for regular touring and save a bunch of weight. You should buy a pair and report back.
    Trigger pulled, throwing them on these for now . . .

hiking/SKIING with these . . .

and that's the plan, will report back after a few outings
    CHEERS

I saw some Dynafits that looked very much like those last weekend at Marmot Mountain Works and they did not have a flat touring mode. There was no way to get the pins to point any direction other than forward. No flat mode would really suck for some tours, though not a big deal for other tours. They also had a pair of LaSportiva tiny little bindings which do have a flat mode but gawd they are expensive.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 11-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    There was no way to get the pins to point any direction other than forward.
    You sure about that, Steve? Not only would that suck for flat approaches, but in a twisting fall that required lateral release . . . maybe it will only twist with the climbing lifts fully up and back?

They might twist a bit for a moment to release, but they won't pivot to allow a heel on the ski deck. Eric at MMW confirmed it. Rando race bindings are made to go up and then down, not flat.

The Dynafit three-hole heels (Low Tech Race, Speed Superlite), do rotate fully to allow for lateral release, but they won't stay put at a 90-degree angle for flat touring.
    However, you can't judge that until you've toured on current rando race bindings. Even though on my Speed bindings I often use the flat position, I almost never use the flat position of my Plum 135, since the elevator is halfway between a Speed elevator and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    The Dynafit three-hole heels (Low Tech Race, Speed Superlite), do rotate fully to allow for lateral release, but they won't stay put at a 90-degree angle for flat touring.
    Ahh. Thanks for the explanation; the first-generation TiRace heels I owned didn't rotate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    However, you can't judge that until you've toured on current rando race bindings.
    Or with current rando race boots? My TLT 5's make it surprisingly comfortable to just pick a lifter height and leave it there all day (even the high one) due to the cuff mobility - DyNA's would be the same, I imagine.

Has anyone used these yet? I just played with a pair and the pins on the heel unit are very loose and allow a tone of movement in the boot binding interface. Nothing like other dynafits I have used. I really want a pair but am worried about the play in the heel unit.
    Last edited by White Lighting; 01-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by White Lighting View Post
    Has anyone used these yet? I just played with a pair and the pins on the heel unit are very loose and allow a tone of movement in the boot binding interface. Nothing like other dynafits I have used. I really want a pair but am worried about the play in the heel unit.
    Sorry for the delayed report back, but wanted some varied experience. first to answer your question, I have felt no movement in the heel, very secure. Maybe it's specific for the boot you are using?

there's only one lock for the toe, which is OK - but I would be a little stressed in a high speed, hard pack situation.

I love the weight, but they do release in tour-mode if I'm sideways on wind affected hard pack. that's the only problem i've encountered. Skiing-wise they've been sweet.

I've toured with them on Lolo pass on the MT/ID border, Galena pass in ID, on area for a race and descent at snowbowl ski area, and also in the snowbowl backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by White Lighting View Post
    i think you will find that occasionally, the small variances in production exceed the small tolerances of the dynafit system...and there will be play/slop/vertical movement in the heel pins.

i tightened mine up with extremely small pieces of...........duct-tape!

here is a post from 2009.

http://www.tetonat.com/2009/07/16/dy...slop-mini-mod/
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Whoah, the most recent post in this thread was by a poster who only two weeks later...

Well, anyway, a picture was recently posted of a Speed Superlight toe (identical to Low Tech Race except for the lever) with two cracks in the mounting frame (at the right fore mounting screw and at the right crampon bracket screw). Seemed like it should have still been functional at this stage, although the aft portion of the frame was starting to spread apart, so that could explain why the poster said it was prereleasing in tour mode. This was after "4 months’ fairly heavy training and racing use" plus "a side slide fall." Data point of one, plus plenty of supposedly burly Onyx toe pincers broke one year, and even the standard Dynafit IV/Tech/Classic/Speed/Comfort/VerticalST/VerticalFT toe wing can break when mounted on the narrower Vertical FT base plate, so who knows if this means anything...

As for the heel unit (unique to the Speed Superlight, with an elongated mounting pattern as compared to the three-hole pattern of the Low Tech Race), two guys at our rando race this weekend had the Speed Superlight. Pins seemed fine. But I'm pretty sure the setups were new for this season with only light or moderate use so far.
    (I later realized that one guy is a corporate officer for a company with capitalization in the billions of dollars, and the other guy has a private equity fund with almost a billion dollars invested plus an heiress wife with billions of dollars in net worth, so kind of puts that $600 price point into perspective...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I scored a good deal on a set of new Dynafit TLT Speed Superlite's but the rear pins are about as loose as in the video below (which is a different binding model and well used ) both in the horizontal and the vertical direction.

Does anyone know what the Dynafit/Salewa fix is? New pins? The retailer is currently sold out so exchanging them is not an option and I'm reluctant to send them off as a warranty claim in the event the turn around time ends up being more than a month. Plus, it would be nice to know what's causing the slop.

is it possible to use ski-crampons with the superlites? maybe if i would use the little metal-thingy which is used for the speed radicals for using ski-crampons?

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    is it possible to use ski-crampons with the superlites? maybe if i would use the little metal-thingy which is used for the speed radicals for using ski-crampons?
    The Superlite has its own little metal-thingy/clasp, much small than the Speed Radical's clasp.
    I've used it with this crampon model:
    http://en.verticoutdoor.com/dynafit-speed-crampons.html
    Much smaller than it looks in the picture, but much more effective than it looks when first held.
    As with all my Dynafit ski crampons, I use spacers:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/1813/wide-ski-crampons/
    ... from Speed binding heel elevators to give them more penetration.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

thanks for the fast reply.
    so they come with their own clasp, nice.
    i dont use ski-crampons too much (i think i never used them in the alps, only in south america), but those superlites would be for a dedicated ski-mountaineering ski so i want at least to have the opportunity.
    great idea on the spacers actually, never seen that, but would definitely enable the use of climbing aid AND ski-crmapons, quite smart...

freak~[&]