Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro Deals for Ski Instructors

Greetings!

Does anybody know if ski instructors are eligible for pro-forms or similar discounts on gear?

Im not PSIA certified (im a childrens instructor) but certainly there should be a way to get some sort of discount.

Tons of parents and kids see me in my skis/boots/gloves/helmet/gogs and it seems like that would be a good thing for whatever company makes the products.

Im really in need of some new items this year, and like everyone trying to save some dough when I can! Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Bobby Light gonna shed some light. If you can't figure out how to get a deal then you probably don't deserve the discount. Seriously, you can't ask someone you work with how to get a hook up? Rule #1 about pro deals is that you don't talk about them, especially on internet message boards. Besides everyone knows instructors pay full price, leave the reppin' to people who can actually ski.

Jong
    what you're doing just ain't right

i heart threads that start out with "GREETINGS"
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    i heart threads that start out with "GREETINGS"
    and end with "Cheers!"

Quote Originally Posted by rheilman View Post
    Greetings!

Tons of parents and kids see me in my skis/boots/gloves/helmet/gogs and it seems like that would be a good thing for whatever company makes the products.
    Reading this just made my day. Get over yourself, most people do whatever they can not to look an instructor.

seriously, I can't stop grinning. Thanks for that.

And this topic has never been flamed here... ever....

PM Iceman - he is the all knowing mag re: pro deals...

bringing it back to the old school
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Im really starting to love low-post count jongs that just joined flame people....unreal.

So because you are a instructor who deals with children, you dont think you need your certification?

if your PSIA or AASI certified go to thesnowpros.org and memeber login, there are about 50 companies including top ski, goggle, helmet cameras, smartwool and even Subaru pro deals. some require a level 2 or three (Burton and Ortovox) but you have to go through the national ski instructor organization dude

companies not on here (like gopro last year) if you send them a email describing what you do and why it would benefit them, they will usually comply. Your only getting the price with most deals that the retailers get anyways so there not losing any money on you, still making money on you, so figure out what you want need and get to emailing. Lib-Tec is the only company to ever deny me, i think cause they want to sponsor me for real hhahahaha
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

Truth be told, you qualify for a pro deals. Even as a newbie kid instructor.
    Just sayin'.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKuWtmfvsxc&feature=related"]YouTube - MARTIN KEMP in ASPEN EXTREME[/nomedia]

"spitz ze teep"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Light View Post
    Bobby Light gonna shed some light. If you can't figure out how to get a deal then you probably don't deserve the discount. Seriously, you can't ask someone you work with how to get a hook up? Rule #1 about pro deals is that you don't talk about them, especially on internet message boards. Besides everyone knows instructors pay full price, leave the reppin' to people who can actually ski.

Jong
    Love it.

Greetings!

Im not PSIA certified (im a childrens instructor) but certainly there should be a way to get some sort of discount.
    You'll find that most manufacturers only give discounts to certified/recognized professionals. I believe PSIA and NSP share the same discounts, and these days it's not so much a form as it is a special method of accessing the manufacturer's web sites and buying stuff. Perhaps a letter from your employer might help.

If you've got your eye on a specific product, you might as well forget about it. If you want deals you'll have to select from whatever they make available.

Any thread that starts with 'greetings' and ends with 'cheers' reaks of aussie or pom...

Down with twinkies!
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Read the rulz, delete this gay fucking post you homo and move it to padded room or hook up.
    Jesus fucking christ, cunting up the board with this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Read the rulz, delete this gay fucking post you homo and move it to padded room or hook up.
    Jesus fucking christ, cunting up the board with this nonsense.
    Dude...look outside...it's snowing...chillax......

your post did make me laugh however

If you want to take advantage of the PSIA pro deals, you have to join PSIA or AASI. As others have pointed out, if you write to individual companies and explain your situation, you may find they will offer you special pricing. If I were you, I'd ask your boss to provide a letter on company letterhead confirming your employment and then scan that into a pdf so you can submit it along with your email.

FYI, you don't have to be PSIA certified to get the deals, you just have to pay your $85 membership dues - then you're a PSIA member and you'll gain access to the special web site with special pricing.

Oh, and if you had Black Diamond stuff in mind, forget it unless you are a full time pro, and even then they can be a pain in the ass about it.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I'd definately PM Rontele.....he is kind of in charge of this kind of thing...he works with Iceman I think.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Greetings!

Does anybody know if ski instructors are eligible for pro-forms or similar discounts on gear?
    You are REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! doing something wrong if you can't get them. I am not even in the ski industry, I am a sales rep in the fly fishing industry and I get pro-form at K2, Head, etc. You do not have to be a rocket scientist, just call up the rep, give him the information that he can verify, and you should be good to go. Here is a little secret: companies WANT to sell to you, they make money! They just do not want to piss off the dealers. They are able to justify selling to people in similiar industrys, so why would they not sell to you?

[QUOTE=Ivan Oder;3051337]You'll find that most manufacturers only give discounts to certified/recognized professionals. I believe PSIA and NSP share the same discounts, and these days it's not so much a form as it is a special method of accessing the manufacturer's web sites and buying stuff. Perhaps a letter from your employer might help.

If you've got your eye on a specific product, you might as well forget about it. If you want deals you'll have to select from whatever they make available.[/QUOTE

I beg to differ. Pro deal is usually the same price they sell to everyone else at, ie it is $$$$$ for them. The only constraint is not pissing off the dealers. I am not even in the ski industry and I can get pro deals from head, k2, icelantic.

Heck, if you are a life guard or a forrest service ranger you can get pro deals, at least in fly fishing (Ross).

For %99 of companies they will give anyone a pro deal to as long as they can justify it and not piss off dealers. They are usually making full profit on pro deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin Panda View Post
    You are REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! doing something wrong if you can't get them. I am not even in the ski industry, I am a sales rep in the fly fishing industry and I get pro-form at K2, Head, etc. You do not have to be a rocket scientist, just call up the rep, give him the information that he can verify, and you should be good to go. Here is a little secret: companies WANT to sell to you, they make money! They just do not want to piss off the dealers. They are able to justify selling to people in similiar industrys, so why would they not sell to you?
    I real rep wouldn't type shit like this. My offer for the Chinese downhill still stands Steve. Just Sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin Panda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Oder View Post
    You'll find that most manufacturers only give discounts to certified/recognized professionals. I believe PSIA and NSP share the same discounts, and these days it's not so much a form as it is a special method of accessing the manufacturer's web sites and buying stuff. Perhaps a letter from your employer might help.

If you've got your eye on a specific product, you might as well forget about it. If you want deals you'll have to select from whatever they make available.
    I beg to differ. Pro deal is usually the same price they sell to everyone else at, ie it is $$$$$ for them. The only constraint is not pissing off the dealers. I am not even in the ski industry and I can get pro deals from head, k2, icelantic.

Heck, if you are a life guard or a forrest service ranger you can get pro deals, at least in fly fishing (Ross).

For %99 of companies they will give anyone a pro deal to as long as they can justify it and not piss off dealers. They are usually making full profit on pro deal.
    I think what he was trying to say was that most pro deals are limited and do require some sort of certification or specfic profession(ie life guards and rangers), most companies only reserve a slected amount of stock for the discount and it is not on all gear. It really depends on the company, Arc'teryx, for example only offers discounts to level two PSIA and above and they can vary from X percentage off to Y percentage off from retail.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbydave View Post
    Any thread that starts with 'greetings' and ends with 'cheers' reaks of aussie or pom...

Down with twinkies!
    Who else is gonna run your ski resort for 8 bucks an hour and enjoy it?

Those little first timer kiddies sure are gunna beg mummy and daddy to run out and buy them a matching outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Dude...look outside...it's snowing...chillax......

your post did make me laugh however
    Yeah, just sitting in my office looking at the tool sheds on this site who post crap like this.
    On another note, i KNow LLoyd Braun is George Castanzas nemesis on Seinfeld, when they were selling computers.

But did you know that he is a famous Lawyer, who i think worked for NBC entertainment? I had not idea.