Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    huckwheat: where do people tend to send becks?
    skiers left cliff is freaking huge
    is that center chute/crux wide enough to slow down, or do you just get shot out of it like a fucking bullet, burying yourself in the snowpack below
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    huckwheat: where do people tend to send becks?
    skiers left cliff is freaking huge
    is that center chute/crux wide enough to slow down, or do you just get shot out of it like a fucking bullet, burying yourself in the snowpack below
    From the handful of hits I have seen it is somewhat skiers right, but that can still be 80 range. Mike Wilson wasnt that far left when doing 80ft backflips. I have seen Irv go pretty far on a big day (with a TGR camera rolling). The far side (truly skiers left is next to Schmidiots and Gunnar and some other dude were doing fronts off that which were over 80. Not sure you can get speed to straight off....no one seems to do that.

Yes, that chute is the Chimney Sweep.....yes a bullet, but in a good way. (it has been quite a few years for me now, but I did once get fresh tracks down it......that is like my ultimate claim to fame).
    Donjoy to the World!

Östra Ravin in Åre, Sweden. Take off a little bit above this pic, couldn't find a better one. Landing down in the marked area. Around 50-70 ft depending on snowpack and how the winds have been.

And stomp or no drop! Crash, buttcheck etc= a fall, not a huck. Besides, you really don't wanna buttcheck scandinavian powder, aka 2 inches of soft (on a good day) on top of concrete.

theres a youtube video someplace of someone goin off the big part of eagle rock @ alyeska but I cant seem to find it...

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    theres a youtube video someplace of someone goin off the big part of eagle rock @ alyeska but I cant seem to find it...
    This one?

an oldie, but shows at least one of the Kirkwood classics: "Kodak" is sessioned for about the entire first minute of this vid. And then Big Danger is the very last huck.

Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Not "hudge" like some of the Kirkwood airs, but here's a couple shots of Loveland airs:

Adam off Patrol Rock:

Crack Rock, late in the season (landing area out of pic, probably 30-35 ft?):

What's the name of the big rock skier's right side of Keyhole at Alpine Meadows? That's gotta be on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I love bar talk topics like this

I'd actually argue that Hospital Air isn't really a "classic" big air at Kirkwood. If something has only been hit 4 times, with the first time only as recently as 2001 and then not again until 2006 then I'm not sure it's a classic. Something else maybe...but Big Jim's has been getting hit for a much longer time and still doesn't go down in some years. Same thing with Heart Chute. I'd say Big Jim's and Heart Chute, and heck maybe even Kodak as it's where nearly everyone goes on a pow day, are more "classic" airs at Kirkwood than Hospital. This is all open to interpretation of course and this is just my humble opinion.

There's lots of other 'big' airs around the mountain too...like Tremann's (sickbird Kush launching the whole thing last year), and Big Danger, and Hot Tub airs. But I'm not sure they're 'classic' either...more obscure and nutball

I'm surprised that no one from Squaw (so many classic airs there's a book) or Mammoth (Balls perhaps?) have chimed in yet.

EDIT to add: That Bridger air posted in the video a few posts up is sick!
    Actually, when I think of classic Kirkwood airs, I think of Tremman's and the photo in Powder that gave it it's name back 94/95/96 that Hank shot of Tremman launching it with a big-ass pack on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    What's the name of the big rock skier's right side of Keyhole at Alpine Meadows? That's gotta be on this list.
    Marhankis.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Actually, when I think of classic Kirkwood airs, I think of Tremman's and the photo in Powder that gave it it's name back 94/95/96 that Hank shot of Tremman launching it with a big-ass pack on his back.
    Good point! I probably have that shot in my Powder Mag archives. If i can dig it out i'll scan and post it up.

Here's a shot of Kush launching Tremanns from last year
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Marhankis.
    Marhanka's

Good point! I probably have that shot in my Powder Mag archives. If i can dig it out i'll scan and post it up.

That thing is huge! Props.

Here is DTM front flipping all of Bad News

[ame="http://vimeo.com/3521445"]Dan Dean Front Flip Over Bad News Alta Utah on Vimeo[/ame]

I remember that vid from last year. Didn't he break his skis? One of my all time favorite vids. The POV just captures that feeling perfect. So sick.

epicness.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Another angle, my personal favorite:

Vid:

((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

nightmare
    goalpost
    fat bastard
    gothic
    triple cliff
    north shore
    shityerpants cliffs
    tower 2
    breakneck exit
    horseshoe
    aaa

just to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    I remember that vid from last year. Didn't he break his skis? .
    that, and everything else he was wearing, ski(s) helmet, goggles, ego, ect

one of my fav POV's too
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    that, and everything else he was wearing, ski(s) helmet, goggles, ego, ect

one of my fav POV's too
    You may be thinking of Mike Leake sending a vurrry large front at Targhee last year. Different video. I believe DTMs landing was a pretty clean one (for that size!)

Only on TGR can you mix up user vids with helmet cam shots of front flips off triple digit airs...

For Jackson, I think Alta Negative and Tower 4 are the most prominent cliffs that are only "rarely" hit. Partially because it is a very big no no, partially because they are very big!

edit- link to thread with [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153049"]The Other Helmet Cam With Humongous Front Flip While Wearing Bro Models[/ame]

Vid:

I thought it looked big in the first pic, but looks huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge in the second pic and video.

Was there a longer vid of DTM's front flip? I think it had Kush superballing off another cliff and landing about three times further out than everyone else.

Vid:

that landing did not sound 'kush'...fucking ouch!

what about insomniac at jackson? doesn't that get hit fairly often?

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Adrenaline Rock
    I really want to do that one this year. gulp
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I really want to do that one this year. gulp
    I dont.....HA.

I have heard rumor of Gaffney (hucka) doing multiple laps on it where he is hitting skiers left (you can see in photo the landing is steeper). That would be the smart way to get that knotch I think......still big too.
    Donjoy to the World!