Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oldest chair lift, still running and used often?

"the big chair" at Norquay, in banff, alberta is 65 years old this year. Fixed grip double, that gets you to 1300vertical ft of just black (double black) terrain.

I'm sure that some small hill out east must still have some old school lifts running still?

watch out for snakes

nice, so it got moved, but is 75 years old....

"Mount Eyak is currently serviced by a single chairlift (as well as the rope tow). The chairlift was purchased from Sun Valley, Idaho, and transported by train to Seattle, then by ferry to Cordova. The Sheridan Ski Club painted the towers and repaired the chairs before the army used its helicopters to put the towers in place in 1974.[2] The single chair lift was originally constructed in 1939 and serviced Bald Mountain. It is the oldest working chairlift in North America "

If its still the original chair on red mountain in rossland that was a very old chair
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wow 75 years?! Crazy...

Eagle's Rest at Jackson Hole is the only chair left from the first season the Village was open, 64-65, pre-tram. Next year she'll be 50 year old! Enabling laps of the Pooh Bear Chutes, and the patented ER-Sweety-Casper to get onto the upper mtn when the lines are crazy. May not last too much longer though, plans for high-speed in the works.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I've been on a couple of single chairs in Germany and Austria that must be up there.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If its still the original chair on red mountain in rossland that was a very old chair
    Think that one was put up in the 70s to replace the original put up in the late 40s.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Mt Spokane oldest double. 68 years old and still in use.
    1946 The first double chair lift in the world is put into operation on the south face of the summit
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I miss fixed grip double chairs..

The Looking Glass lift at Winter Park is the oldest in Colorado. Fixed grip double, center pole Riblet. Installed some time in the 50s, can't remember the exact year. Still runs pretty much every day.

The single at Mad River dates from 1947 but it's been rebuilt. Still the fastest fixed-grip chair in the world I believe though.

the padded seats at Alpental have been moving folks to the top of Denny Mt. since 1968.
    the motor ran smooth today.
    b

Pretty sure the original chairlift was moved from Sun Valley to Boyne Mountain and is still in use.

The original Sun Valley chair is at MT Eyak. Due to insurance issues we had to replace the chairs. The towers are original. The electric motor that ran the lift from the top station has been replaced. The motor is now at the base. We have saved the original chairs. We are selling them to raise funds for the hill. If anyone is interested in purchasing they can contact me. Or Mt Eyak on! Facebook. The lift is in great shape but unfortunately is not operating due to no snow
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Mt Spokane oldest double. 68 years old and still in use.
    1946 The first double chair lift in the world is put into operation on the south face of the summit
    Pretty sure it's not still in use, the original bullwheel is there but chair 1 is a slightly newer old shitty riblet I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    "the big chair" at Norquay, in banff, alberta is 65 years old this year. Fixed grip double, that gets you to 1300vertical ft of just black (double black) terrain.
    They haven't replaced it !?! Growing up, my family spent spring breaks in Banff. Spent lots of time at Norquay. I remember mustering up the courage to go up the that chair. Almost as a dare to myself. Probably 8 or 9 at the time. Scared shitless. From what i could see of the 'Widow Maker' (Lone Pine), I couldn't even understand how anyone could even make it down that thing. People had told me there were easier ways down the other side (skier's right of the chair). Making it down was such a rush / accomplishment. Still chasing that rush today I guess.

I'm not sure it's very old, but the chair at Shames is an absolute classic. Anyone (possibly Gary) know the history of that thing?

how about the old lifts on dollar mountain at sun valley? not sure if they replaced them!!!! then there is that tiny hill in hailey with prehistoric lifts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The original Red chair had wooden towers, and that has been replaced with a double Mueller (sp?). Still "only" 60 something years since that first chair went up.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    We have saved the original chairs. We are selling them to raise funds for the hill. If anyone is interested in purchasing they can contact me. Or Mt Eyak on! Facebook.
    Those would be some really nice chairs to have, but I'd imagine the freight would kill me.

How old is big chief or 7th at Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    The original Red chair had wooden towers, and that has been replaced with a double Mueller (sp?). Still "only" 60 something years since that first chair went up.
    The hardware tech at cominco told me the original chair was built with parts & expertise pilfered from cominco, everybody knew about it and everyone was in on it ... a community project
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    Pretty sure it's not still in use, the original bullwheel is there but chair 1 is a slightly newer old shitty riblet I do believe.
    Actually, the 1946 chair was removed and Chair 1 was built in 1955. The original 1946 chair was located more westerly of the current 1955 chair. And yes, all Riblet chairs since Riblet (Sowder family) used to own the concession. Here's a history piece my friend did on it. Note the picture on the video. That's the original 1946 chair with the Vista House in the background. The 1955 chair terminates closer to the Vista House.

Main lodge double at Caberfae Peaks (MI). not sure how old it is but Cab is one of the oldest resorts in the US (I think 2nd oldest?) This was their first chair and still in service. Has a rounded leading edge to the seat which is perfectly designed to cut off circulation in your legs in less time than it takes to reach it's lofty 350 ft of vert ...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Mt. Eyak/SunValley chair would be way cool for my deck, but $2K plus shipping from Cordova...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Wait a minute wasn't the double at West originally built in the 1800s for cargo use over a particular deadly pass on the Oregon Trail?

Oldest working chair in NA if I remember correctly.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community