Page 364 of 1650 FirstFirst ... 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,100 of 41247
    they'll get another one to replace that one and another one to add to the collection soon enough....it is odd how the 2 years they've won it, have been poor winters. Oh well.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

so i was looking at streamflows and noticed everything is running really low for this time of year... which would make sense. I'm wondering if we will even have a spring runoff this year? If so, does anyone have an idea when streamflow will peak this summer, if even at all?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    so i was looking at streamflows and noticed everything is running really low for this time of year... which would make sense. I'm wondering if we will even have a spring runoff this year? If so, does anyone have an idea when streamflow will peak this summer, if even at all?
    There will be runoff and we'll hit a peak, it will just be a fraction of the long-term, median peak flows though. My guess is that most streams will peak around 30% of what the typical average is, sometime in late May, but that depends entirely on what the weather is like between now and then. Our current statewide snowpack is only 39% of average, and sadly, the streamflows will reflect that. The runoff will go quickly this year and many streams/rivers won't be runable. Great for the fishermen though!
    Last edited by cmsummit; 04-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    Old's Cool.

You sure it hasn't already occurred? Blazing Paddles started running the Colorado on March 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    You sure it hasn't already occurred? Blazing Paddles started running the Colorado on March 24th.
    Peak flow on rivers like the CO, RF, Ark, Gunni & Eagle doesn't occur until we hit a week of very warm weather, like 70-75 degree highs at 9,000' for 5 days or so. Even in the summer of '02, peak flow came in late May/early June. Snow water equivalent in most locations are currently pretty similar to that spring, so I would expect a fairly similar runoff curve at this point. Of course, late May is over a month away, so things could change.
    Old's Cool.

snowed pretty hard at the house from about 3am to 6am now the sun is out and the snow is gone. SUPER nice to have some moisture.

off and on rain/snow/graupel/rain all day today....lovin it.
    Last edited by montanaskier; 04-19-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Peak flow on rivers like the CO, RF, Ark, Gunni & Eagle doesn't occur until we hit a week of very warm weather, like 70-75 degree highs at 9,000' for 5 days or so. Even in the summer of '02, peak flow came in late May/early June. Snow water equivalent in most locations are currently pretty similar to that spring, so I would expect a fairly similar runoff curve at this point. Of course, late May is over a month away, so things could change.

I realize that. But we've never had year with such low snow pack and as warm of temperatures, so early together. I just don't know how much water is left up there?
    Unless with get a really warm downpour, I don't see us going over the average much more this season?

There's still plenty of water up there. We'll still have a runoff, I just expect it to peak sooner, lower, and dissipate earlier than usual.

another day of record warm temps. I think that is over 25 days so far this year that have broken records so far. Feels nice outside but whew, makes me afraid of July and Aug.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    another day of record warm temps. I think that is over 25 days so far this year that have broken records so far. Feels nice outside but whew, makes me afraid of July and Aug.
    agree...supposed to be 88-90 in Denver tomorrow...really do wonder how hot and dry the summer will be
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 04-24-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Scary so far. Went surfing in board shorts and a t shirt on the Ark today. Never done that before July.

Skied a few hours at the Basin today, honestly wasn't bad at all...good buttery corn, good coverage considering the recent warm up...they closed Pali lift today but there's still top to bottom. Fun for a few hours then jumped on the bike to ride the pass.

^ how much loose gravel is on the road?

It's not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
    There's still plenty of water up there. We'll still have a runoff, I just expect it to peak sooner, lower, and dissipate earlier than usual.
    Where? In that place in your head? There isn't shit for snow anywhere. Berthoud Pass is dry, Vail Pass is dry, etc etc....some of you people are so clueless. I live up here. There isn't shit. There will be a runoff, but if it's not dam controlled, it will most likely not go for long, if at all. Worst Winter snowpack I've ever seen here.

I skied pow in the Aspen backcountry last weekend (Pearl pass and Mace peak). I can provide photographic evidence if you don't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Where? In that place in your head? There isn't shit for snow anywhere. Berthoud Pass is dry, Vail Pass is dry, etc etc....some of you people are so clueless. I live up here. There isn't shit. There will be a runoff, but if it's not dam controlled, it will most likely not go for long, if at all. Worst Winter snowpack I've ever seen here.
    Berthoud Pass and Vail Pass... the only areas in CO that ever hold snow. FACT according to Blurred.

LOL!

So, you're telling me that there's no snowpack left to melt? Really? "There will be a runoff..." There you said it yourself. Pause a moment to think before you spout off with stupid shit trying to look cool. Jesus, sometimes this place turns into such a cat fighty dick measuring joint it's damn near unbearable. Oh wait, that's precisely why I rarely post and rarely visit any forum outside of this one and the avy forum.

Does anyone have any recent info on the 'pack in the Sangres around Crestone? I was hoping to make a trip there.

Also grateful for any info on Sneffels.

Sangres are a disaster this year. Sneffels was skied recently.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

Also grateful for any info on Sneffels.
    Last I heard, the road is plowed but closed for a few more days. should be open by next weekend. you can drive to American Basin as well, which is pretty sweet access in the Handies zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Sangres are a disaster this year. Sneffels was skied recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Last I heard, the road is plowed but closed for a few more days. should be open by next weekend. you can drive to American Basin as well, which is pretty sweet access in the Handies zone.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good year to skip the CO Sangres then.

and just like that Abasin is closing on Sunday.....wow.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

wow, two months earlier than last year...RIP 2011-2012 shit season

so does anyone see any sort of pattern shift in the near future? I dont even care about the skiing. maybe I'm just spoiled from last year, but we could REALLY use some moisture. and usually spring is wet. kinda scares me.

We did get a good bit of rain last friday in Vail and Summit County. Hopefully we'll get some more all night rains like that.