Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Those Brook trout have beautiful markings. . . Stunning

Are you fishing a Hardy reel? I lost mine, in a house move or think a bro 'borrowed' it

Sparky...yeah, I do have a Hardy, an older JLH model from the mid-90's that I use with my one plastic rod, also a mid 90's vintage. Sweet reels, but wasn't stoked when I learned they moved a lot of their production over to Asia. I picked up a couple of English made Forbes reels for the bamboo quiver, sweet little disc models, perfect for the 3 & 4wts I fish.

So, it's gettin' a bit warm out, and a bit humid. Trouts are still eating bugs and the water is still sub-70 chilly though...pics talk as well as I do at the moment...mmm beer.

this is the eye level view along the Letort in spots, keep that backcast UP!...

And if you're in the right place at the right time and do it all to perfection, a wonderful 15+" brown might mistake your fly for something edible.
    Can't wait to meet his neighbor whom I've been stalking, one of these evenings, patience, patience, patience....

Trying to avoid the wknd crowds on those fabled waters (where more than myself = a crowd), it was time to escape to the local mtns.
    Checking out new to me water, it was a bit smaller & tighter than expected:

Ran across this fixer upper during the hike in:

This stream fills a reservoir, this little fella was a bit further upstream than I expected, first bass of the year!

And I did catch my first ever wild Tiger Trout, which was pretty cool:

But as nice as that stream was, I wanted something a bit 'better,' which is loosely defined of course.
    Ended up here the next day, revisiting some favorite water that I haven't been on yet this year:

This stream is stocked, which doesn't excite me much, but the bucket chasers are pretty much off the water now,
    chasing bass or whatever, and they usually leave behind some feisty & finicky stockers...thankfully:

Also kicked some larger fish out of their hiding places along the way, definitely going back for more....good times.

I really like the tiger trout...pretty cool.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Been catching a few of these guys out of hyalite cr. mostly 10in and smaller but still fun on the dry

Yah - Thanks for thr tiger trout pic - Never seen one.....

yeah Pepp, that was the first tiger I've caught...tiny fish, tiny water.

those are some nice vibrant fish Link, sweet.

We're getting hammered by these dog days of summer here in the mid-A, two solid weeks of hotness, going on three now with minimal rain, reports of stream temps up into the 80's, it's rough out there. Action has been slowwwwwwwww...but fish gotta eat, and not every stream warms with this weather...right place, right time, ya know?

Sunrise action:

Lots of personality to this water, at times shallow and quicker running...

With a few hidden gems mixed in to help the trouts holdover:

Good chance this fella is streambred wildness:

While this one is most likely a leftover stocker:

Now, if only I could really figure this place out, ohhhh the fish I've seen in this stream, a Letort evening:
    Last edited by tomicogs; 07-14-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomicogs View Post
    Sparky...yeah, I do have a Hardy, an older JLH model from the mid-90's that I use with my one plastic rod, also a mid 90's vintage. Sweet reels, but wasn't stoked when I learned they moved a lot of their production over to Asia.
    Yup, the little light weight series is about $250 now. Made in South Korea. I don't know why $250 seems almost inexpensive for a reel with a 1 year warranty and a basic drag system. Guess because they arent $400 anymore??

Needed a change of pace from the Letort and sought out a stream I haven't fished in over a decade. I've never caught a trout out of her before, but remember spotting a few browns years ago, and the books say it's got a bit of limestone influence, so hopefully water temps would be good to go. Arrive on scene early-ish in the morn, get rigged up, hustle on down to the water and dip a hand. Hhmmm, it feels cool, but marginal, dip the thermometer to confirm....mid-60's. OK, cool, the 45minute drive was worth it...

Plenty of streamside snacks to be found:

A small disturbance along the far bank caught my eye, was it a rise?!
    Nahh, just this mellow fellow climbing out for a snack:

A big line of red blobs on last night's radar left the water
    a bit murky, one of the more open stretches:

That's where this vibrant little fella calls home:

This local handiwork sure was something to marvel at:

Fish of the day, slashed at the Royal Stimulator,
    no hesitation at all after switching over to an Ant pattern:

On his way back,

to his brushy hiding spot.

The bite shut down around noon, once that hot orange ball gets up overhead...caught a bunch of creek chubs after that...

Is this stream small enough?

Fighting these guys.

yeah T, that's some great looking water!

what's that phrase? You know it when you see it...

Big rivers in VT are blown out and look like chocolate milk, but the small streams have cleared enough to fish. This guy and lots more like were more than willing to eat today on tiny drys and on nymphs(#14 hot wire prince was the big winner). They really hit the nymph when it was lifted superslowmo like at the end of the drift. One or two from a beaver dam in the river had large tadpoles in their maw. It was surprised to see this with fish so small.

fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

So, yesterday I went on a mission to catch some Colorado Greenback Cuttthroats. I had an awesome day. God bless their little hearts, those fish would eat anything. I used one fly all day, and had dry fly action ALL day. Had a fish on probably every third cast...sometimes more often then that.

It is fun to have days like that. Sometimes fishing here in Colorado gets too serious and too technical. It was like I was fishing in an alternate universe. It made me wonder if this is how fishing could be everywhere if there were way fewer fishermen.

Here are some pics of the fish...sorry, not too many scenics...just a lot of pics of super beautiful fish. I think these are some of the most beautiful trout I have ever seen. Sorry for all the in the net pictures. These fish refused to sit in my hand for me and I lost many nice ones while trying to take pictures...they just wanted back in the water really really bad. Also, just one more note about the quality of the pics...these were all taken with my iPhone 4...so take them for what they are. I think some of them look really good for cell pics...I obviously need a little more practice and do a better job with the focus....not the easiest while holding a fish that is wiggling all over the place.

Fish pics:

Look at the color on this guy:

A bug pic:

A bear pic:

A cool scenic:

I like how the water is splashing in that pic. Anyhow...awesome day...hope you enjoy the fish pics. They sure are cool looking and I am greatful to the individuals who have worked hard to restore these fish to their native watersheds.

Oh yeah....and to quantify it as small stream stoke:
    Last edited by gretch6364; 08-09-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

fkna, nice work G. beautiful.

the local small streams here are now dismally small, previously knee deep is maybe mid-shin if lucky, and warmish, getting hard to find sub 70 water.....sure do miss April/May/June right now, July was pretty harsh.

Got out Saturday though and found holdover stockers stacked up in this hole from before, hooked and played too long w/ a silly big & out of place 20"er brown before I got careless and broke him off, definitely bringing the net next time....

got cocky and tried to take a hot action shot of the battle, then it was over shortly thereafter with a jumble of twisted 6x tippet tangled in the pine behind me:

cogs that last pic is great, I can see a big fish in my head.

Gretch, glad the cutts like the F!
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    Gretch, glad the cutts like the F!
    They sure did. I liked it as well. I hope it sees many days like Sunday...just a great time.

Unfortunately, I did have to fish it with my 4wt line on my cheap reel. Oh well...hopefully I can find the money to get a new reel before the trip.

Tuscano, Italy:

ahhh, those dry & hot days of summer have finally passed. Got back onto one of my favorite streams, a qwik dip of the thermometer shows water temps back down into the 50's. The wooded forest stretch produces nothing other than one splashy missed strike in the chill earlyish morn, move on downstream into the sunlight and finish the session on this spot:

And pluck these two fiesty and colorful natives from those crisp currents.
    One of the biggest native brookies I've caught this year, she might go 10 inches:

love the colors on her smaller neighbor, guess he's showing off for the approaching spawn, bling!