Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    has anyone heard back from tecnica

I ski Euro-model Bodacious with factory-fitted AT soles and 11/12 Plum Guides. Visually my toe fittings look good. Performing the same bench test as in the video above (toes unlocked, heels engaged and not engaged) there is no movement at the toe whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I ski the Plums at 11 (same as my alpine setups) and have always ski them with toes partially locked (one click up). I have only taken one awkward fall on this setup and one ski released predictably.

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    . . . it was decided long ago that ALL the specifications needed to build the fittings in the correct way are officially published at TUV and can be obtained by anybody asking for it.
    Federico, do those specs include a materials spec? Or are the available specs dimensional only? OP's problem looks to be a material failure. Whatever material (some sort of tool steel?) Dynafit is currently using is very hard durable stuff.

Bum Bum, skied my tecnicas on the dynafiddles today and flew out of the fuckers whenever they were not locked.....like that day we had on the midi. I don't think I have skied them any other times unlocked.

They day we were touring up the Col du fucking boring as shit Noir I was skiing unlocked all day (with no release) but I was on my Virus.

The problem does'nt seem to be limited to my bench test.

can other folks with the same issue post pics of their fittings? i am curious if the deformation is always in the same upwards direction? and if its at an angle headed backwards slightly?

also, curious to see if its just on stock inserts, or if any are having issues with the aftermarket white blocks?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I reckon it's soft metal, which is damaged in the process of releasing from the binding. Since my boot has released from my binding exactly once, my inserts are still good.

Yeah I saw the Wild snow article as well and was also the reason I bought these soles for my self. If we all give a shout to tecnica maybe they will fix this problem before it hurts somebody.
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

Might be right there.....the right boot releases much easyer than the left....................

Here's a picture of my right boot fitting. I've also included an image of my old radiums for reference. The radium fitting is clearly a different shape when you look at it in person, where as the Technica appears to be deformed at the top to varying extent.

Hopefully Technica will come up with a solution for this. I emailed them last week, they responded with an offer to send new soles, but the retailer who sold them to me had already given me a new set of soles. That's not much of a fix in my opinion, at least until Technica says "yes, there was an issue, here's the new sole that you need". Until then, it's just a guessing game until the new soles start to deform like the old ones.

Hello,

I represent Tecnica. We take this very seriously and the customers safety is of utmost importance. We did extensive design and testing of the tech inserts/soles, both lab and in the field. We had multiple boots with over 100 days of use by professional European guides under extreme conditions before bringing this product to market.

We believe this to be isolated instances, but want to be certain. We are trying to get more information about these particular soles affected. We are trying to get them back to be tested to see why this may be happening as shown in the video.

just checked my PM's and the Utah Tecnica rep contacted me to get the soles to test them and replace them for me. Glad that they are being proactive on this issue. Have always liked Tecnica products and hope that this product works in the future.

Looking at a brand new set (no deformation), I don't like the design of the hole/pocket. It looks to curved to me, aka more like the inside of an egg, rather than a cylinder. The result is that downward force on the boot, results in the force on the binding pins having a larger outward direction component than I would like. My quick observation, based on design rather than material.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    Hello,

I represent Tecnica. We take this very seriously and the customers safety is of utmost importance. We did extensive design and testing of the tech inserts/soles, both lab and in the field. We had multiple boots with over 100 days of use by professional European guides under extreme conditions before bringing this product to market.

We believe this to be isolated instances, but want to be certain. We are trying to get more information about these particular soles affected. We are trying to get them back to be tested to see why this may be happening as shown in the video.
    This right here folks is why this site fucking rules.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    can other folks with the same issue post pics of their fittings? i am curious if the deformation is always in the same upwards direction? and if its at an angle headed backwards slightly?

also, curious to see if its just on stock inserts, or if any are having issues with the aftermarket white blocks?
    what's the difference between the stock and aftermarket blocks? (i have a pair of Cochises that came with DIN blocks, and purchased the AT blocks seperately).

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    Hello,

^^^ very interested in hearing the outcome of said tests.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    I ski Euro-model Bodacious with factory-fitted AT soles and 11/12 Plum Guides. Visually my toe fittings look good. Performing the same bench test as in the video above (toes unlocked, heels engaged and not engaged) there is no movement at the toe whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I ski the Plums at 11 (same as my alpine setups) and have always ski them with toes partially locked (one click up). I have only taken one awkward fall on this setup and one ski released predictably.
    that's somewhat reassuring, how many days have you put on them?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Looking at a brand new set (no deformation), I don't like the design of the hole/pocket. It looks to curved to me, aka more like the inside of an egg, rather than a cylinder. The result is that downward force on the boot, results in the force on the binding pins having a larger outward direction component than I would like. My quick observation, based on design rather than material.
    I completely agree. I hate to say it "but they just don't look right".

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    that's somewhat reassuring, how many days have you put on them?
    About 15 days so far in the AT soles + Plums.

Just met with the Tecnica rep here and put new soles on the Bodacious. Put in the bindings and they are looking good no slop or movement at all. Hopefully these do what they are supposed to and the old ones were just a fluke.

^^^ i hope so as well, please keep us posted.

if i can't use tech binders with the Cochise it's a no go for me (and i already have a pair).

Ok Guys here's my update sorry for the wait.
    I met with the Utah Tecnica rep and got new soles.
    Day one skied them on hard refrozen groomers for 5 runs before the binding started slipping exactly like the last time. Same groove in the fitting, same slip. but really only on my outside fitting right boot.

Talked to the rep again right away. I thought it had to do with the pin not fully seating into the fitting compared with my viruses and a pair of Titans. The rep wanted me to try a different set of bindings thinking that maybe my mount or the binding was the culprit because of the amount of days that tecnica athletes have had on this set up in europe.
    I have the vertical FT 12's on a pair of 190 Czars . The pair of 185 Blizzard Cochises I received to try had Radical ST 10's on them. (Gotta say The Cochise's were a really fun ski and the new dynafit is a sweet binding)

So here's how my next test went. Skied the new set up yesterday afternoon in soft manky conditions and had a good time with no play in the fitting at all. skied 4 hours pretty aggressively especially for inbounds dynafit skiing. After the day i did notice the all too familiar groove in the top of the fitting but no play.
    Day 2 morning skiing on refrozen groomers and mank much like the first day on the last soles. got a little bit more out of them maybe 7-8 runs before i noticed a clicking feeling while skiing. I was able to look down and see the binding on my right ski open like before in the video and the like on the 2nd pair of soles. So to clarify it's doing the exact same thing again.
    I still think it has to do with the pin not getting into the fitting all the way. The Rep says they took exact specs from dynafit so it should work but when i look at them there is just a little difference. attached pics to demonstrate

Dynafit Titans ( no pin slope showing)

Dalbello Virus (no pin slope either)

Tecnica (more pin slope)

I know that skiing on the hardest of snows is not what dynafits are really for but have never had a problem with my viruses in my FT's in these conditions
    . Don't know if this pin in the fitting idea is right, just my thoughts on it.

It sure looks like the toe insert is a bit too narrow, and the socket a bit too shallow, and the radius on the edge of the socket too rounded on the Tecnicas, so the pincer pins aren't deep enough for the load-bearing interface to be perpendicular to the downward loading. The pincer springs can't stand up to the downward wedging force.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    It sure looks like the toe insert is a bit too narrow, and the socket a bit too shallow, and the radius on the edge of the socket too rounded on the Tecnicas, so the pincer pins aren't deep enough for the load-bearing interface to be perpendicular to the downward loading. The pincer springs can't stand up to the downward wedging force.
    that is my assessment of the design. It can probably be fixed (and the warranty voided) with a drill.

So, are the inserts on technica boots proprietary, or are they past-model inserts purchased from Dynafit?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    So, are the inserts on technica boots proprietary, or are they past-model inserts purchased from Dynafit?
    didn't federico (from dynafit) say that dynafit provides inserts only to scarpa? AFAIK that would imply that all others (garmont, tecnica, BD, dalbello, etc etc) are not made by dynafit

The Tecnica fittings are not made by Dynafit.... they say they got the exact specs from them though to make their own.