Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Talking Wasatch Conditions 10-11

Hey, it's snowing.

Okay, this'll make for a soap-boxy sort of kick-off, but if this a thread you love and/or hate I'd by psyched if you'd share your thoughts.

After having a number of conversations with various OG’s in the Wasatch scene it seems everybody has anecdotal evidence that threads like this one change patterns of backcountry use. The general consensus is that guidebooks promote dispersal while threads like this one tempt people to herd together once word’s out that the skinner’s in.

If that's true, is that bad? And if so, why?

And if you agree that crowding in the backcountry is undesireable, do you see a way to share beta about current conditions (plus a healthy does of bluebird faceshot skintrack backflip Stoke) and also promote dispersal?

Moving on, I still think this is what we're aiming for here, though I'm not even a little interested in policing:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    What this is:

Trip Reports from the Wasatch backcountry
    Observations and Conjecture about snow conditions in the Wasatch backcountry
    Armchair Assessments and Monday Morning Quarterbacking regarding the Wasatch backcountry
    And also:

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    If you’re savvy enough to have found your way here you probably already are subscribed to the Utah Avalanche Center’s Avalanche Advisories. If you’re not, you should.

The UAC also produces several weather forecasts, including the Wasatch Mountain Weather Forecast. Check out the links on that page to attain a higher level of geekdom.

Another great resource is the Wizard of the Wasatch's page. If you use the info he produces help WOW continue to LtD
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 10-24-2010 at 05:27 PM.

I think a good start would be a voluntary ban on the use of the word 'EPIC' in any form.

what about epicurean?
    or if i'm sporting my olympus, can i mention the TruePic III capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    I think a good start would be a voluntary ban on the use of the word 'EPIC' in any form.
    Seconded

Pretty strong dynamics in LCC - as per the 12z NAM soundings and Theta/time height I just looked at. So solid precip rates should continue through much of the day. However....the snow must be fairly wet given the water equiv reported on mesowest compared to snow in 24 hours. Might lighten up as temps drop. Wind very high in the early morning hours but that seems to have backed off. Residual high RH values in the low troposphere and some pockets of enhanced vertical velocity should result in a fews SN showers following the tapering off of the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Pretty strong dynamics in LCC - as per the 12z NAM soundings and Theta/time height I just looked at. So solid precip rates should continue through much of the day. However....the snow must be fairly wet given the water equiv reported on mesowest compared to snow in 24 hours. Might lighten up as temps drop. Wind very high in the early morning hours but that seems to have backed off. Residual high RH values in the low troposphere and some pockets of enhanced vertical velocity should result in a fews SN showers following the tapering off of the main event.
    Uhh,...OK?...So?...It's SNOWING??,...But,...NOT EPIC??!!

me gusta Utah!!

have a great winter!

I think the increase in traffic has more to do with the explosion of BC skiing then people poaching the forum for ideas on where to go. ...Even though I'm sure that happens sometimes, I doubt it coulb compete with the fact that every dick, tom and harry on Dukes is getting on it nowadays.

maybe, use less description on route travel and names?

...also, I forbid it to snow before I get out there mid-November.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

La Nina is muy bien. Te amo.

I would concur that trip reports lead to followers, and I would bet that areas get more crowded after a recent trip report. I am guilty of it myself from time to time. But I don't think it's as much "hey, X skied there, so it must be safe," as it is simply "oh shit, I haven't skied that area in a while, I should get back over there." In other words, it just reminds people of an area or a run.

(For all the OG's who are making this complaint, what are you doing in an area shortly after a trip report that you happened to know about? Pure coincidence, right?)

But, that doesn't mean people shouldn't post trip reports. They are the most entertaining ski-related thing on TGR. Plus, observations are more useful if you know the exact location.

So here's an idea - if you see a trip report from an area, and you don't like skiing around people, go elsewhere for a week or two. Theoretically, all the people will be concentrated in the area from which the trip report came, freeing up other places.

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    So here's an idea - if you see a trip report from an area, and you don't like skiing around people, go elsewhere for a week or two.
    Or a decade or two.

People who whine about crowding either.........

1. Lack creative thinking skills and can't think outside the box, or sheep pen to come up with ideas on alternative places to ski.
    3. Need to realize it's the Wasatch, and ski touring is constantly on the rise.
    4. Need to learn to smile, shut the fuck up, and have a good time while you still have a pulse on this earth.

In the mean time, is there enough snow in PC to skate at Round Valley yet?

This should help keep the sheep in the pen

2) Can't get up the hill at first light?

Thanks for thread. I'll be following this one. One more set of tracks.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    2) Can't get up the hill at first light?

Thanks for thread. I'll be following this one. One more set of tracks.
    Thanks for filling in #2. I don't count very well.

Welcome to Utah, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Thanks for filling in #2. I don't count very well.

Welcome to Utah, btw.
    Thank you.

Alta reported 15" today. I love how it REALLY snows there. Gluttonous.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

trackhead, you already thinking about the pfeiff?

shera, welcome to the cottonwood canyons.

to the op: yeah people read the threads and decide where to go but some of that is due to safety concerns (conditions). gotta take the good with the bad. so far the good outweighs the bad, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze View Post
    trackhead, you already thinking about the pfeiff?
    No, not at all. Thinking about nordic skiing until the snow is deep. My bones are too old and fragile to get excited about skiing until it's legit.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

I'd like to have at least 10 days in by then.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

No, not at all. Thinking about nordic skiing until the snow is deep. My bones are too old and fragile to get excited about skiing until it's legit.
    x2 here. in recent years i've become old. now that i have a kid i'm wiser...or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    So there won't be any base when you arrive? Good thinkin'.

I would also like to propose a ban on the phrase 'all-time'. It means nothing, especailly when it's used....all-the-fucking-time.

no soul

Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    I would also like to propose a ban on the phrase 'all-time'. It means nothing, especailly when it's used....all-the-fucking-time.
    inlander eh?

80 inch rule is now effect.

rog

In the mean time, is there enough snow in PC to skate at Round Valley yet?
    was there a few hours ago - it's a combination of mud/snow right now, give it another storm

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    was there a few hours ago - it's a combination of mud/snow right now, give it another storm
    There is maybe 2 inches of snow on the ground at my casa in PC at 6750'. Definitely wait to give round valley a shot.

Edit: thousand posts bitches!

With this much good terrain so conveniently accessible and so near such a large population base, 'crowds' in the BC are inevitable.

I know that some of the old timers will pine for the good old days when they could head up pole line and have Cardiff to themselves, but for the most part those days are long gone.

There are still plenty of places to find solitude if you are willing to put in the effort. Fortunately, most BC users still aren't. Most of the users on this board already know from the pics where most of the stoke is coming from anyway, even if it isn't stated in the posts.