Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yikes. Commercial art.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Yikes. Commercial art.
    Commercial Arts:

Commercial art is the art of creative services, referring to art created for commercial purposes, primarily advertising. Commercial art traditionally includes designing books, advertisements of different products, signs, posters, and other displays to promote sale or acceptance of products, services, or ideas.

It's not THAT terrible.
    I still get to be creative and it pays.

UI design sounds cringe

Why cover the mountains in fog? Why the fence?
    Zone Controller

UI design sounds cringe

UI/UX (User Experience) Design = App (Application) Design.

I make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    UI/UX (User Experience) Design = App (Application) Design.

I make your life easier.
    Rarely
    Zone Controller

We went to the Tetons in January. Stayed in Driggs, in an airbnb where you could theoretically see the Grand from the back porch. Well it turned out it was cloudy almost every single day. The one day it wasn't completely fogged in, you could see just the top of the Teton, so we snapped a picture of it, and she painted the piece from the picture. I guess that's really clouding my perception of the painting. It has a huge emotional connection for me, which makes me think it's better than it is. But whatever, it makes her happy, and maybe if she busts her ass in a few years she'll be pretty good.

That piece speaks to you, but it doesn't (at least not yet) to rest of us.
    When her art be able to connect with everybody, that's when people will pay to buy.

Brother went to 2 really good art schools in new york. His work is way out there though. Reality hit a few years back when we were sitting in Union Square at the end of his semester and said, let's try to sell one of his works. Lady offered him $20 for this sprawling hand-drawn gypsy print like 3-4ft wide. "Wait, that took me like 20hrs to produce," or $1/hr labor, so we high tailed it out of there! He never finished an art degree...

Go see your local gallery and ask if they would be willing to hang it for sale. Sometimes local galleries are dying for work to sell, other times they are flush with art and no buyers. GF's mom runs a small local gallery in Maryland - they are one that is almost always looking for art - but it has to be the right stuff. Down there it is relatively easy if the art is about the ocean or sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Go see your local gallery and ask if they would be willing to hang it for sale. Sometimes local galleries are dying for work to sell, other times they are flush with art and no buyers. GF's mom runs a small local gallery in Maryland - they are one that is almost always looking for art - but it has to be the right stuff. Down there it is relatively easy if the art is about the ocean or sailing.
    Start with a coffee shop while she's honing her eye. Around here, they hang and sell local art all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Brother went to 2 really good art schools in new york. His work is way out there though. Reality hit a few years back when we were sitting in Union Square at the end of his semester and said, let's try to sell one of his works. Lady offered him $20 for this sprawling hand-drawn gypsy print like 3-4ft wide. "Wait, that took me like 20hrs to produce," or $1/hr labor, so we high tailed it out of there! He never finished an art degree...
    in the creative fields, you have to do your thing and stick to it (or figure it out and then stick to it)

at first, you have to seek out the clients that dig your particular view of the world (this could take years or, if you're a socialite, it may be quicker...in some ways, it IS about who you know)

eventually, when other people figure out what you do, they will find you

but it's really important to do what is in your own minds eye or soul

this isn't a field for maximizing ROI...just get out now while you're sane if that's how you're approaching it
    ["you" is directed at aspiring artists, illustrators, sculptors, etc...not GG]

the whole "value in art" is a long long separate discussion
    Last edited by acinpdx; 03-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.

this guy couldnt even make money Name:  Nick-from-Family-Ties-jpg_1037129_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  37.6 KB
    Zone Controller

Try local galleries and see if they bite. That's what my dad does with his turned wood bowls.

Also, she might try etsy to see if she gets a response. For example: https://www.etsy.com/shop/woodjammin

this guy couldnt even make money Name:  Nick-from-Family-Ties-jpg_1037129_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  37.6 KB
    Solid reference

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Start with a coffee shop while she's honing her eye. Around here, they hang and sell local art all the time.
    Yup - here too. Coffee shops & Restaurants plus we have a weekend Farmer's Market where you can display and sell. Small towns, esp. tourist ones can be a good market it seems. I've often picked up art when traveling.

Some thread drift. My favourite artist, we have these two. My wife chose the first one.

His new stuff is awesome but my wife thinks it's a little edgy to have up in our current house.

Ian Shults
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    ...I've often picked up art when traveling.
    My gallery owner friend says that galleries in vacation destinations always do better than traditional locations as 1) feel good vacation factor and 2) one of the few times couples are together long enough to OK big expenditures on art...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

It’s Not Trendy, But This Is the Best Deal in Art Right Now

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-art-right-now

Sir George Clausen, R.A., R.W.S. The Elm Tree, estimated to sell for $6,100 to $9,800 at Christie's.Source: Christie's

Edward Duncan, R.W.S, Children Playing on the Beach wth Smoke House Beyond, Probably Norfolk, 1877,

Prices can go even lower. At Bonham’s on March 21, a painting of a beach in Norfolk by Edward Duncan is on sale for an estimated $990 to $1,500.

I like this site for trendy and new:

https://www.saatchiart.com/

$500-$1000 doesn't buy much:

https://www.saatchiart.com/all?price=500-1000

VELVET ELVIS AND JESUS FTW

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    VELVET ELVIS AND JESUS FTW

They're probably watching dogs playing poker
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Any of you art fans looking for a destination visit I highly recommend Beverley Hills Art Show. Talking with the artists and the setting is really cool.

http://www.beverlyhills.org/explorin...artshow/?NFR=1

I actually like the OP's wife's painting. I'd buy it and stick it in one of the guest bed rooms. I like hand painted oil paintings, and the scene looks nice to me.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't pay very much though. Maybe $50 tops is what I'd be willing to pay. Probably worth more to the OP to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Skosh View Post
    Well, I certainly appreciate the offer, but I'm in full support of this hobby. I think if she's able to work on it full time for 6 months to a year she'll be producing some pretty good shit. Even if none of it sells, I think they're pretty fucking rad, and they make great (and cheap) Christmas presents.
    This is a good outlook. There are a bunch of reasons to paint and as long as making money isn't in the top 5 you should be ok.

My grandmother took up painting full time at 47 after her husband died. Spent ten years getting a BFA at MassArt at night and traveling for "credits" across the world. She had shows on Newbury St in Boston but also at warehouses in the suburbs. She joined a bunch of open studios, entered into a bunch of local art shows, made a bunch of friends, and it honestly kept her "young" until she died at 81, a few credits away from finishing her masters. She sold some paintings for thousands of dollars but most of what she ever painted didn't sell.

For me, her painting was an excuse for me and my wife to hang out with her, go to her art shows, take her out to eat and generally get to know her better then I had while I was growing up. I have a bunch of her paintings hanging in my house now and they're my favorite reminder of her.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170320_190318.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	736.0 KB 
ID:	202975

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    This is a good outlook. There are a bunch of reasons to paint and as long as making money isn't in the top 5 you should be ok.

My grandmother took up painting full time at 47 after her husband died. Spent ten years getting a BFA at MassArt at night and traveling for "credits" across the world. She had shows on Newbury St in Boston but also at warehouses in the suburbs. She joined a bunch of open studios, entered into a bunch of local art shows, made a bunch of friends, and it honestly kept her "young" until she died at 81, a few credits away from finishing her masters. She sold some paintings for thousands of dollars but most of what she ever painted didn't sell.

For me, her painting was an excuse for me and my wife to hang out with her, go to her art shows, take her out to eat and generally get to know her better then I had while I was growing up. I have a bunch of her paintings hanging in my house now and they're my favorite reminder of her.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170320_190318.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	736.0 KB 
ID:	202975
    I really like your grandmother's brush stroke.
    There's inner strength in her painting.