Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

MAGIC MT 16/17- Fresh Starts & Fresh Tracks!!

It's hard to imagine something bigger happening to our maggot darling than what's transpired in this off-season. Gone is the old ownership and operation company, as is the lack of capital and long term cohesive vision.

Ski Magic LLC officially took ownership & operation of all lands and infrastructure as of this week, and although this has left the new group with a severely truncated timeline (essentially 2 months to change every aspect of every branch of operation), an insane amount of tangible upgrades have been completed, many of which were undertaken well before the dotted line was signed upon.

Some real details to share and be excited about:

Newer and bigger motors that run the snowmaking pumps. New smart Variable Frequency Drives to control said motors. Upgraded valving, controls, new state of the art HKD snow gun fleet and monitoring systems. Heck we even repaired the lines on Sorcerer, which will be operational this season for the first time in many years- this will be a key route when running Talisman slalom races.

BOTH chairlifts to the top will be operational this season as well. Red is having its line work finished as I type (turkey day wheel work = GNAR points) and then it's back to Black. We may even have Black ready for opening weekend, but if not it will be really close. Red is also getting a new roof, windows and doors too.

Also a completely new kitchen was just installed- a totally new front line as well as the back of the house has been revamped and redesigned. We stole two chefs from The Mill to head up the kitchen and man, their menu looks killer. Look for quality to make a big jump up and also timeliness of delivery.

New bar layout and location with an impressively redesigned lodge bar area and cooler wor direct tap lines. New glycol tap system that will greatly improve quality, efficiency and speed of bar service. Also new service windows, food access and satellite tap areas to disperse crowds and separate services more efficiently.

The lodge received a completely new roof and they even removed that stupid clockless clock tower. New soffets outside and lots of new paint.

The rental shop just got their new Rossignol rental fleet- skis AND boots, along with their new wintersteiger full service tuning/stonegrinding machine.

The trees have also seen considerable work. Several new areas are now spotlessly clean and ready for dreamy, flowy slayage.

Literally every facet of operation has been gutted and brought up to snuff in as many ways as humanly possible in this short period of time. Real, tangible and relevant upgrades. Every department is now under the watchful eye of a diligent manager with a real budget and a long term plan. The Magic we all deserve is roaring back, and there hasn't been this much done to the place since it was originally built by Hans Thorner.

If you're reading this, you had better get your ass to Magic. It has never been as good as it's about to be. Check out the smokin' new deals on the website too, lots of really good options!

Magicmtn.com

In closing, we will be taking more time to talk about things as they develop but I think that's a decent start.

I'll add pics as I can. Cheers to new beginnings and to old friends! Can't wait to see what this season brings!!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Wow, it's really happening. I thought that place was done after last year. I'll get the word out in Ludlow.
    Think Snow!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Wow, it's really happening. I thought that place was done after last year. I'll get the word out in Ludlow.
    Think Snow!

It really is! Technically it *was* done after last year, but it still took some serious finagling to wrestle it away from its detractors. They would never have been able to open it again though, that was abundantly clear. They left it in a pretty sad state. This was the only path to reopening, so thank the lawd Geoff & Co made it happen.

You'll be happy to know that there is a new shop rate policy too! I have to come see you soon as well, gotta swap some binders over onto the new sticks. You guys running full bore over there yet?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

MAGIC MT 16/17- Fresh Starts & Fresh Tracks!!

Hell yeah, DW. World Cup right up the road! I'm back at the old shop. Shoot me a pm. Stoke is high in central Vermont.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I'll be up there at some point. Stoked on the work you guys have been putting in.

The news we have all been waiting for. Snowmaking, 2 lifts, more food, yea!

The whole Magic team has really put a lot of effort in. Looking forward to a visit soon.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Right on bros (and sistahs)! I'm very happy for you folks and can't wait to be there again.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Congrats DoWork. You're a credit to skiers everywhere.

Wafflezzz? Please say yes.

^ A waffle hut franchise is only $40K...we all know that's pocket lint to you.

Seriously, the amount of work already done and the new face of this place is mind blowing. Open for pass distribution today and tomorrow. Stop on in and take a peek at the future!

Gotta give big props to Okemo who has been donating or selling at a very deep discount some of the things needed to make this happen. Nice to see the community pulling together to make this happen.

Scrumdiddlyumptious....we will be visiting this season.

So, when does the cigar bar open?
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

jgb@etree Guest
    It's awesome to hear that so many improvements are actually happening. I'm looking forward to a great season!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Gotta give big props to Okemo who has been donating or selling at a very deep discount some of the things needed to make this happen. Nice to see the community pulling together to make this happen.
    That is very cool. Did not know that. Some good people in the marble valley

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    ^ A waffle hut franchise is only $40K...we all know that's pocket lint to you.

Seriously, the amount of work already done and the new face of this place is mind blowing. Open for pass distribution today and tomorrow. Stop on in and take a peek at the future!

How bout we go without the franchise and call them Waaflez for free? I should be on the board of directors.

I gots no money. Spent it all on kitchen counterz and cabintetzz.

Went over to the lodge today to pick up my pass. The pass printer was actually working!!!

I think what struck me was every person I ran into (food & bev, ski school, rental and tuning) was so juiced about the new direction and wouldn't let us leave until they showed off the changes and upgrades in their areas.

More races on Talisman will actually be a pretty big deal. There may not have been much talk of it beyond the racing groups at the different mountains, but hosting the race that we did (two years ago) on Tali went over really big. I had people from other mountains asking me throughout the season last year if we would do it again--of course, without making snow over there it was impossible (not to mention I don't even think that side got open last year). There really isn't any other race hill in southern VT that compares--we should be able to book more races on the strength of that hill (and the fact that Chuck and his crew run the best races in SVC), and that's a fair amount of extra money for the mountain.

Running a GS on that hill would be awesome as well--we've trained GS there, and I know that back before the mountain closed they held GS races there, but these days it will require fencing from top to bottom, and that's a pretty big task (not to mention we would need to buy more fencing). I could see it happening in a couple of years, though--with those two steep pitches and the rolls, plus the flat at the bottom it would certainly be among the best three or four GS trails in VT.
    [quote][//quote]

Awesome news and update DW. I stopped in to pick up my pass and chat with Geoff on Wednesday and its just a flurry of activity. Great to see and amazed at what you all got done BEFORE the deal closed.

As as for the discussion on racing on Tali, I recall 2 years ago when they had various local race schools training and racing on Tali, I rode up the lift with one of the heads of such schools who said Tali was the best race trail in So VT and the only one that compared favorably to the Norhern VT courses. I understand that some of the shinny new HKD's that I saw are going on Tali so I have to think that Magic will be a core part of the local race scene this winter and for many to come.

Pulling for you to get everything done for Dec 17th and have to think ULLR will deliver......

Awesome news all around. I can't wait to get back up there this year.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Wow super news to say the least! DW ur heart and soul into the place as well as many others is just remarkable and so APPRECIATED!!!! Thank u as well as others plus the new ownership for seeing A bright future. Stoked that my two girls will have the opportunity to ski ( hope race) at Magic in the future. Look forward to seeing drinking and skiing the new magic with the old guard and new.
    So stoked for winter
    always forward but never straight

My parents are selling their place on Terrible Mt., but hopefully I can get up there one last time and check out Magic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My parents are selling their place on Terrible Mt.
    Do the Trumps live next door?

Thanks guys, really excited for all these things to happen. Would have loved having a whole summer to make it happen but there is ALWAYS a way.

Talisman/Sorcerer *should* be a package deal IMO, and I think races over there are important moving forward. Driving revenues and top-down word of mouth in one fell swoop sounds good to me! Besides that though, races on Tali are just flat out badass. Magic deserves to be respected for it's terrain. I'm looking forward to a time when it's detractors run out of fodder, and it's coming.

So many areas on the hill that are about to be utilized so much more efficiently... and yes a lot of those shiny HKDs are going on Tali. Really want to dial our ability to reliably give people west side options. Eventually both runs will have a whole army of sexy towers on them.

I must say though, people are JACKED about all this happening. I can't go to the store or get gas without a hundred questions, and other people jumping in once they hear Magic talk... this whole area is shocked and stoked that it is *really* happening!

Oh and here... have some pics! No particular order, just snaps as stuff has been going on.

Just scratching the surface, peeps. Can't wait to show everyone all the cool new stuff!!

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Two season passes purchased and ready for 12/17. Thanks for the update and all the hard work! My GF has wanted a hoodie for years, now get on that!