June Mountain will open 2013-2014

also posted in the WTF Rusty? thread, but I thought this might be easier for folks to find

free skiing for kids 12 and under - just like Squaw when I was a kid

June Mtn set Opening Date

What a difference a year has made. Last year, Mammoth Mountain CEO Rusty Gregory announced closure of June Mountain for the season. Residents of June Lake were hit hard. Now, word is out that June Mountain will re-open December 14th, weather permitting.

According to a press release from Mammoth Mountain, June will offer free skiing and riding for children 12 and under, every day, all season long. June Mountain will be open seven days per week. The press release says that the free entry for kids comes “as the resort focuses on the beginner and intermediate experience.” The release says the resort will also offer first time beginner packages for substantial discounts. The resort press release says that Mammoth Mountain Pass holders will ski June for free.

June Mountain General Manager Carl Williams is quoted as saying that personally and on behalf of the community, “We’re really excited to see those lifts turn again.” Williams called June Mountain a great place to learn, be comfortable and have fun.

According to the news release, upgrades to Chair 1 and snow making infrastructure are still in the planning phases with information available after the opening.

It was last July that CEO Rusty Gregory announced closure of June Mountain based on finances. He said June was losing $1.5 million per year. Gregory said the Mountain’s lenders pushed for a better financial picture. Since that time, residents of June Lake and others have fought hard to get June Mountain back, including attempts to discourage Mammoth Mountain’s land trade until guarantees for June Mountain came forward.

In April, Gregory did go public with his plans at a Mono Supervisors’ meeting. He also said his new management team would focus on June Mountain along with Mammoth.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Great news!

Great news indeed. Free lift tickets for u12's is awesome and will hopefully inspire a lot of families with younger kiddos to visit June instead of Mammoth or even Bear. Replace J1 with a gondi and you've got the makings of a beginners paradise.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Saw that and pretty stoked on Carson's
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Cakes & pies, happy days are here again, I would like to thank jeebus AND baby jeebus for lift accessed BC this season.

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

great news for the region mike! probably not gnar enough for lil O. but a great alternative for young families.
    b

Good news indeed, and interesting strategy. I wonder if I can look like I'm twelve....
    It's not my fault you can't telemark.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    great news for the region mike! probably not gnar enough for lil O. but a great alternative for young families.
    b
    more GNAR than DR

tough to get to from here, but we'll make the effort

For years I have been saying June should be marketed as a beginner/intermediate/family mountain, glad Mammoth Mountain is finally listening to me

A little snow making and a J1 upgarde would be great. Also don't count June out as a easy only hill. It is a great place to ski on storm days, has a few short but tough shots just skiers left of J7, and as Pwhore says, lift access BC. I rather like June, and it is a nice switch from MM on occasion. Hit it just right, and you can get first tracks all day long.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

with all the focus on the gnar the last few years, I think a lot of folks who've grown up on TGR, Matchstick, etc. and now have kids are going to really appreciate a place like June that can get the little rippers out ripping, is a good value and has fun skiing

at this point I don't care about gnar - I care about having teh funz skiing

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    F I rather like June, and it is a nice switch from MM on occasion. Hit it just right, and you can get first tracks all day long.
    yea it's nice and low key on a powder day, maybe they will sell a day ticket that's not 105 stinking dollars

They need to sell single-ride tickets for bc access

^^^yeah, I think it will happen some day, hopefully soon.

My kids learn to ski there. Great ski school, and when they were a litte older we turned the loose to ski on their own much, much sooner then I would have at Mammoth.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

the beauty of a lil home hill where the kids can stretch their wings with out parental guidance!
    b

Family fun and just enough just enough pitch to be more fun than Mammoth on some storm days, not to mention the BC access that will be once again at our fingertips.

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Yep. I've had killer pow days there during blizzards when MMH was shut down.

Smart move, get the people there creating the demand for lodging?

And June is a nice place to Ski. I have entertained myself there many a time.

Much safer for newer skiers and kids than the super freeways atmosphere @ Mammoth
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Cute mountain. Nice policy for family skiers. I wish my family could move there.

www.kaepssports.com
    KAEPS SPORTS - Max Your Fun!
    The Sports Wax Expert: Ski Wax l Bike Wax