Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When a helmet isn't enough

Thin cover and all, I decided to ski the groomers at PCMR for a couple hours yesterday morning. I was most of the way down what was going to be my last run when I went down hard. At least I think went down hard, I have no recollection of what happened. I remember standing on one ski somewhat wobbly and having a lady ask me if I was alright while she handed me my goggles and other ski. I said I think so and she skied off. Apparently I called my wife and said um - long pause - who am I skiing with? (I was skiing alone) and then I told her I had crashed and hit my head. I threw up on the hill and said to myself you have a concussion, take it easy. I skied to the bottom of First Time/3 Kings where I saw MiniGadget waiting for me, but I don't remember a thing about skiing to the bottom. MG tells me I asked him repeatedly if I had called him or his mother. I vaguely remember him walking me to my car and helping me take my boots off. The next thing I knew I was throwing up again while leaning out the passenger door of his car. Mrs. Gadget showed up and drove me to the hospital - we only had to stop once more so I could throw up again. The ER folks asked me if I had any other medical issues besides the head trauma and I think I said something about chubbiness.

Following a CT scan I was told I have arthritis in my neck, but no broken bones or brain bleeds. I just have a good, old fashioned concussion. I am grateful for the job my now broken Smith Variant Brim helmet did to protect my head. I can't imagine what would have happened to my noggin had I not been wearing a helmet. I would have posted this from the ER following that time-honored Maggot tradition, but I couldn't focus on my phone.

Be safe out there.

I hope you had at least enough presence of mind to take pictures of cute nurses

Glad to hear you are alright. Helmets are good things. I would rather replace a broken helmet then head, and I have a few times on my road bike.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

You were supposed to post in the car on the way to the hospital and in between hurlage. You know the rules.

Safe healin Gadget

Calling something "my last run" is bad juju.

Glad you're in one piece. vibes+++

fkn-ow. Heal quick dude, but don't rush it. That was a quality bell-ringin'...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Wow! Thanks for reminding me why I said screw it and am back on the bike. Heal quick.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by coreshot-tourettes View Post
    Calling something "my last run" is bad juju.

Glad you're in one piece. vibes+++
    Someone told me the time to quit is when you think to yourself "One more run, and i'll call it a day".

Heal fast mang.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Bummer, heal up!!

Make sure Mrs. Gadget keeps waking you up tonight! Definitely don't want to sleep through the night with a head injury that made you throw up a bunch of times.

this should be called 'when one gadget isn't enough'. i'm so confused i think i may be the one with the concussion.

heal up.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

1. Gimp Forum?
    2. Pics of wife dressed as nurse?
    3. Heal up....by taking all stimuli out of the equation for a few days....(no fisting vids)

Feel better ASAP!

Spin up a thread on on epic re: the virtues of helmets and you'll get to sit back and enjoy days of entertainment during your recovery

Do you know what happened? How did you fall? Be careful out there guys and wear a helmet!

yikes!

i've had my bell rung once before, but it was nowhere near that bad.

a dark room is your friend when your concussed.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet. Scary. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

heal of quick IG. i see so many people rock on with no helmets charging hard. im on concussion 5 I think, been in your spot more than once. not a good feeling. dont do what I do and ignore it, take some time to relax and heal up. make sure wifey wakes you up and be slow when getting up from layin down. last thing you want is another right after this one. i have a 4 month blackout period due to the same.

be safe guys

was just discussing the same issue with the girl i teach with.She is alwasy saying how her hair this and they dont look cool that.. for someone vey intelligent she is so stupid.....Glad to hear your ok and will be back out again this season and not pushing up daiseys or eating thorough a feeding tube...Dont get why poeple dont wear them....Helemet should be mandatory at a resort your discression in the BC......Whats even more puzzling is all the pro's that dont wear them ..certainly not setting a good example for our youngsters out there..... i have a rule in my ski and board club .. NO HELMET NO CLUB......heal up and enjoy xmas
    always forward but never straight

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet. Scary
    Wow, suppositories that can debate. Did not know they had that now.

Gadget, heal up.

Makes me feel good about buying that new Smith bucket this fall.
    watch out for snakes

Glad to hear your healing up. Totally agree with you. Hit a cattrack in flat light and bounced my head off it. Rang my bell bit due to helmet I was ok. I have had over 6 concussions (lost count) and passed out twice. Doctor says anytime that one more can make my brain mush. I think some pros do set a bad example by not wearing them. Your messy hair won't matter if your a vegetable...
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Cue Powstash.

Glad you're skull doesn't have any DeWalt holes in it!

Now if somebody can invent something that stops people who crank music and think they are the only ones on the slope by causing horrific crashes that would be great
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Been there, although not on snow. But not remembering how you just hurt yourself or what happened directly the crash after is never a good thing. I think worse than that is the fact that it messes you up for at least a good month afterwards. I felt realtively normal but was definatley in a daze for at least 2 weeks after. Head injuries suck!

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.
    sig worthy. I'm curious as to how this went down.

You need to go with the full face epic helmet...

http://cdn.epicski.com/1/12/12af5fa1_ski+helmet3.jpg

damn dude. glad you had a helmet on. stay safe out there.

Helmates don't do crap for Blunt force trama. There all about glancing blows/indirect hits.

You know you gotta replace your helmate now.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"